Thread: Dryer lint house fire warning!

Default Dryer lint house fire warning!

Had someone lose thier house due to dryer lint last week. I wouldn't sleep well at night by not at least warning you guys to clean your lint screens every day, and also take your pipe off and make sure lint isn't building up in it. Also, an interesting thing that came up was that if your dryer is feeling hot on the outide, but your clothes aren't getting dry, you might have a lint build up inside, which can cause a fire. Another interesting note was that if you are getting dark lines on your clothes, they may actually be burn lines from the dryer getting hot because of lint build up.

Make sure your CO2 detectors are working good in the dyer area if you have gas or propane, also.

So, take 5 minutes, pull the hose clamp off the pipe on the back of your dryer and make sure it's not building up. Don't want anyone to have to rebuild thier house or worse, when it can be prevented with 5 minutes of work.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

thank you for the info

Thanks for the reminder Claude. I guess with the luxuries of married life come the responsibilies of maintenance... sometimes I wish I could be married/bachelor like being on the slope.... two and two...

LOL,...JK honey (if youre reading this!!)

lol! yeah, I hear ya. I sent her a note on how to clean it all out so I don't even have to do it myself when I get back... we'll see if it gets done. I'm not sure I've ever been in the laundry room at the lodge, as I don't want to give her the idea that I might belong in there doing clothes and sheets....

Really hope she doesn't read this..... lol

Many folks now use those dryer sheets and they are a big problem plugging up filters and exhaust vents..
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Funny thing is... I brought in a couple dozen dryer vent cleaners a few years ago and they never sold...not a single one. I ended up giving them all away.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Funny thing is... I brought in a couple dozen dryer vent cleaners a few years ago and they never sold...

Doug, did you get them from a foreign country?.....you should have labeled them "dishwashers" or "dinner cookers", then they would have sold...lol...

"if my wife is watching, I'll be home after the meeting...with my tail between my legs..I love you honey" - Red Green

lol!! Yeah, some funny person on here sent the link to my dearest wife.... So now, she not only has no water, but she's mad! lol. Maybe if she gets near that well pipe she can steam it so it melts the ice plug! heh heh...... I'm so dead.... Maybe I'll see if I can just stay up here working the rest of the year! It'll help if there are guests at the lodge when I get home, as she doesn't want to get caught beating the crap outta me!

About 16 years ago I had my dryer go up in flames and part of the house because a pluged dryer vent. So clean them out every year guys!!!

I cleaned my dryer vent lines last year and was very suprised at how much lint had accumulated in those pipes. The farther from the drier the more lint had built up imo. The great part was that the clothes dried a lot faster after I did that. Double Bonus!!!

Problem is that today people buy homes and know nothing about home ownership. They think that everything maintains itself. We put away the water heated instructions, new furnace instructions and such without any kind of a maintenance schedule anywhere that we can follow. My girlfriend doesn't understand it each fall before the snows come when I go around and check things that need it, just because I can do it at that time.

Not pointing fingers. Just saying.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012