Thread: kodiak road system Vs whittier deer.

Default kodiak road system Vs whittier deer.

I called michael stran ad we talked about this for a while. But I figured I'd get the forums opinion.

I was thinking going to kodiak and taking a truck on the barge and driving to the end of the road system and hiking for day trips form there

My other thought was going out of whittier, and doing that thing, but since I don't have much money to spend on gear, using the truck as a base camp would be nice.

My limit would be around 1000, 2000 absolute max, and I don't know that I could rustle up that much. This is a surprise trip for dad.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Without using a boat, there is far better hunting off the Kodiak road system than out of Whittier. Seriously, hunting on foot out of Whittier, you'd be lucky to see one deer. The main issue off the road system on Kodiak is access as a lot of the land belongs to native corporations. Not sure if they offer access for a fee or not. There are a couple places you can hunt tho and some not that far from town. Find a land use map and figure out where you are legal.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

There definitely is some non-native land that you can get to from the road system, if you're willing to walk a ways, tho it will be hunted pretty hard also

You oughta check out Lesnoi's website,
    they were selling hunting access for $125 per hunter last year,

and that would open up quite a bit of really good country, that is not hunted so hard as result of those fees
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I agree with twodux. I've driven around the Kodiak road system and have always seen deer. I've never seen a deer on the roads near Whittier, what few there are. You would have to do a boat drop off out of Whittier to one of the islands in PWS to find any deer. I don't, however, have access information for Kodiak.

Kodiak, hands down. I'd also check with some of the taxi's there. You may be able to get a fairly cheap flight out that will put you beyond what can be reached from the road, eliminating a lot of competition. Andrew Air runs a 206, I think. They got us into Kiludia Bay a few years back for under $500 r/t.

we would take a boat and be dropped off out of whittier, we wouldn't be hunting on the main land, if I left that impression, sorry. The reason i would to to kodiak would be to not take a plane or boat out, I didn't have must time to give a long explanation tester day and I still don't have time to give much detail of our conversation. sorry.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

one deer limit on the road system of kodiak. i would probably take the boat outa whittier....but if i had the coin to take a boat outa whittier, i'd rather save a bit more and take a plane out on kodiak...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would honestly scratch both ideas and highly consider Kodiak DIY hunt!! $200 roundtrip per person from Anchorage and approx $500 for remote drop off somewhere on Kodiak!! I just did a hunt there in late November and we got our limit in deer and a few really good ones at that!! If you want the absolute most for your money.. GO TO KODIAK!!!

Wait and see if any deer make it through this winter to decide!

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Wait and see if any deer make it through this winter to decide!
    I was going to add this. Gonna be a heck of a winter kill in the Sound this year. Not sure what's going on for snow on Kodiak.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Old timers say worse winter for cold and snow in 30+ years in Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    I was going to add this. Gonna be a heck of a winter kill in the Sound this year. Not sure what's going on for snow on Kodiak.

No Doubt about what dieNqvrs is saying,

I can't even imagine what is happening, gotta think this is not a good year to plan a Deer hunt

I haven't been in Kodiak much this winter, but watching the weather scene, from a distance,..
    it is staggering, the combination of cold and hammering snow
    MUCH TOUGHER than a normal winter on Kodiak

give it a year at least, do something else, no kidding
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    No Doubt about what dieNqvrs is saying,

I can't even imagine what is happening, gotta think this is not a good year to plan a Deer hunt

I haven't been in Kodiak much this winter, but watching the weather scene, from a distance,..
    it is staggering, the combination of cold and hammering snow
    MUCH TOUGHER than a normal winter on Kodiak

give it a year at least, do something else, no kidding
    hows the south end looking?

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    hows the south end looking?
    the temp look good, but the constant snow, with on and off freezing,which will be heavy, wet, and has been stacking up,....
    ain't much prettier than the townside,... I imagine it is pretty deep down there
    These are not good Deer survival numbers/temps

Weather Station - report
    NOS_NWLON Alitak, AK, Kodiak
    Elevation 0 feet

Station Select
    Now

Light Drizzle Mist

Temperature
    35 degree F
    Feels Like 24 F

Wind(mph)

Tonight
    29 F
    Snow Showers 100 percent chance of precipitation

Tomorrow
    31 F
    Snow Showers 60% chance of precipitation

Tomorrow Night
    13 F
    Snow Showers 40% chance of precipitation

Friday
    23 | 16 F
    Partly Cloudy

Saturday
    31 | 27 F
    Chance of Snow 30% chance of precipitation

Sunday
    31 | 29 F
    Chance of Snow 40% chance of precipitation

Thanks for the info Kodiak, I have been wondering what was going on down there. Guess I should have made that deer hunting trip this fall instead of next. O well wait a few more and see what happenes.