Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yukon training area Black bears?

Default Yukon training area Black bears?

Hey there, this is a dumb question I guess but is there good black bear hunting in the YTA? Im new to bear hunting and I just dont know what kind of land to look for and what terrain id find them hangin out in. I knew where to spot them in my woods back in Wisconsin but I dont know what to expect for Alaska and expecialy the Interior. Back home my buddies would go out in early morning and late afternoons almost like whitetail hunting but with the long days in Ak what times best?? I know LOTS of people bait and I intend to take the class so I can too but if i dont bait how should I hunt them?? Really hopin to get a bear this year with my bow or rifle, but I need some guidence....

Jake

go to a high place... camp sit get comfortable, and fall asleep.. .. when you wake up.. One will be out there... but if you just stay there and wait.. you'll never see one... a watched pot never boils? ..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I've seen black bear all over the YTA. There isn't one good location to look for them. We had one pull a Soldier from his sleeping bag near the Winter Camp a couple years ago. Most of the black bear I've seen out there were up on the higher ground. There are a lot of grizz out there too. If you're thinking about baiting down there then you should expect grizz on your bait.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

lol thanks ret, Ill give that a try.. I guess the hills are where I should go. And AKhunterNp Iv heard of the bear pullin a soilder out of the tent by my Squad leader... Crazy! so Another question is time of the year and time of day would anyone have a clue about that?

Thanks Jake

In my experience, the Grizzlies will take over a bait site in YTA until after the moose drop their calves around 15 may. After that we have had decent luck. That area is thick and finding a stop to glass from is not that easy.

Be Safe

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I started baiting out there in '99 or '00 and did it for 3 or 4 years. Lots of bears (black and grizz) and lots of other baits, but still not a bad spot. Don't bait there any more, but if I was looking for a relatively easy spot to get to close to town and didn't mind grizz on my bait or dealing with military land access issues from time to time, I'd say it would be worth a look.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Good to here that theres plenty on black bear there I am gonna try to get out there this spring for shur now.

Thanks Jake

There are lots of blacks and grizzlys there and there shouldnt be too much if any training interference going on this spring/summer since the brigade will be fresh off of a deployment in April and the brigade from Ft.Rich is also deployed through the whole summer.

Ive read several post on Grizzlies in YTA. Are you allowed to shoot grizzlies from bait at all and if so in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    Ive read several post on Grizzlies in YTA. Are you allowed to shoot grizzlies from bait at all and if so in this area.
    You CAN NOT take a Grizzly in the YTA anywhere near bait. The Grizzlies will back off the baits once they start eating moose calves.

Here is a couple photos of my Buddies first Black bear and pics after I mounted him.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Nice work stid2677! That bear looks awsome, I might have to contact you to do my bear if I get one.. That is if all goes well lol

Heads Up Guys I'm On The Fairbanks AC We Have A Proposal To Shoot Grizzlies On A Black Bear Bait That Will Be Coming Before The Board Of Game In March Here In Fairbanks, But We Need People To Come Testify That We Need To Shoot Some Of These Grizzlies From Off Our Baits. We Need Your Support To Get This Threw

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    Heads Up Guys I'm On The Fairbanks AC We Have A Proposal To Shoot Grizzlies On A Black Bear Bait That Will Be Coming Before The Board Of Game In March Here In Fairbanks, But We Need People To Come Testify That We Need To Shoot Some Of These Grizzlies From Off Our Baits. We Need Your Support To Get This Threw
    I heard about this the other day. I'm all for it. I'm not interested in specifically targeting grizz at my bait, but I'd like to be able to shoot one if the opportunity presented itself. That is one of the reasons I quit baiting locally and moved to a site a few hours away. It wasn't that long ago that we could only shoot 1 grizz every 4 years around here. Now it is 1 per year, but I still see lots of them. I've had them hanging out less than a mile from my house the past few summers. It would be nice to be able to shoot them over bait.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

All right now I got another question. Iv only been in Alaska for less than two years so im not are real Alaskan resident, how would I go about being able to hunt grizz with out a pro guide? Id be more than happy to shoot a black bear but a grizz would be amazing!!

If You Have Been In Alaska A Year You Are Considered A Resident

Here's a 2 part reply; First if you've been here more than a year, with all the local strings tied- DL, lease etc. and NOT hunted as a resident in another state, ADFG considers you a resident. The other option is the ACTIVE duty ID card (or actively a member of the local guard/ reserve- If you're a dependent of an active duty service member, you are also a resident. As far as the bait question goes- I went up to the Peger Road office two years ago, because the area we were going to bait had the possibility of grizz- (unfortunately, all that came near the bait was mamma moose and baby...) and found a wildlife trooper and asked- Basically MINIMUM distance is 1 mile away, from any KNOWN bait- farther is always better, because if they determine the brownie/ grizz was coming to the bait, could be a problem.

Look for bears in the mornings and evenings but don't count them out in the afternoons. They move when they want to and where they want to so its good to find a likely spot and just hang out till one comes by. Like ret25yo said take a nap and wake up and one might be there.

I baited in the YTA two years ago and have since moved a few hours away to better my odds. I had success of pulling in bears to my sight, but they were predominantly grizzlies. If you could take a grizzly over bait, I know exactly where I will be going back to bait. I also had a really uncomfortable confrontation with a grizzly sow with three cubs at that sight and that was basically the determining factor to bait elsewhere. It was not worth the headache of battling/feeding the grizzly in an effort to lure in a black bear.

As Skip said there is a proposal to be able to shoot a grizzly off the bait station. I believe it is only one a year. Not sure if that is per bait station or per person. I would have to look it up in the book, and I don't have one available right now.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I sit through the night....seems the few bears I've had come all come right before thre darkest part or during and stay.....plan a long night, get comfortable and wait.

Skip,
    how does it go against the 1 every 4? or will it follow the current units yearly requirements?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast