Thread: Self Bailer Questions

Default Self Bailer Questions

Howdy,
    I have an Aire 14'3 Round SB and was thinking about installing a 9.9 - 20 hp kicker. I was wondering can a SB get on step, or will it start to fill the back with water? If not, I could get 6 knots +- pushing water & the larger motor would be excessive?
    -JR

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    Howdy,
    I have an Aire 14'3 Round SB and was thinking about installing a 9.9 - 20 hp kicker. I was wondering can a SB get on step, or will it start to fill the back with water? If not, I could get 6 knots +- pushing water & the larger motor would be excessive?
    -JR
    9.9 to 20-horse is a huge spread in power. The 9.9 will not get you on step if you have anything in the boat, and may not do it with just the operator aboard anyway. And yes, you will flood your floor if you try to get up on step. You're better off with a conventional sport boat or a cataraft rigged with a spray shield and a solid transom.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I run a 3.5hp motor on my 14ft SB. I couldn't imagine running anything bigger than a 5 horse on it. I can't hardly even run the 3.5 without some weight in the front. It's slow but it gets me across Paxson or Skilak and down slow rivers a lot faster/easier than rowing.

Mike is right if you want to run that size motor.

Not sure what raft you run. If the fabric is static and thick and does not have much flex You can do as SOTAR does and glue or weld a 3" flap over the grommets on the BOTTOM. ONLY ON THE INSIDE. This lets the self-bailing floor still let the water out, but not let so much spray in. Works for us.
    Just remember running a motor on a whitewater self bailing raft is a compromise and not what she was built for. Would go with as light a motor as possible with a long shaft. Works well on our SOTAR MOOSE boat as well as our STRIKE. We did build the stern a bit lower for shorter shafts and less cavitation.
    hope this helps, and do have some 40oz urethane fabric here in Anch., if you need any for your project.
    Goo

The goal of this question was to figure out if I could travel around 25 miles up the Yukon ... hopefully fully loaded with moose. To try and save some $ and avoid a plane ride out. I might just have to have a plane pick up the round boat and have the cats make the run.

Goo,
    Its an Aire. I like that idea! I will get ahold of you come spring when I pull the raft down off the shelf.
    -JR