Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: guide requirement

Default guide requirement

After reading another thread it has me wondering how many residents support or dont support the non resident guide requirement for BB sheep and goat. If you dont support it would you support some sort of orientation requirement or something prior to the hunt as those three hunts can be the most dangerous.If I am not mistaken it wasnt too many years ago that there was a rumor of them wanting moose to be included in that but who knows we all know about rumors.
    Dave

I say take all guide requirements away and let Murphy and Mother Nature sort 'em out

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    I say take all guide requirements away and let Murphy and Mother Nature sort 'em out

funny but oh so true

Any hunt can be dangerous, and I don't see why being an Alaskan resident makes a person more qualified than a nonresident. The argument just doesn't hold any merit to me. Going halibut fishing in the barren islands can be dangerous, yet I don't see a guide requirement for nonresidents to do that.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Any hunt can be dangerous, and I don't see why being an Alaskan resident makes a person more qualified than a nonresident. The argument just doesn't hold any merit to me. Going halibut fishing in the barren islands can be dangerous, yet I don't see a guide requirement for nonresidents to do that.
    agreed I am not sure why the requirement is those three species, it is just my personal experiences that leads me to believe they are the most dangerous hunts here but I do agree about the barrens

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Basing the guide requirement on a zip code makes no sense at all. +1 to Ret25yo.

Can anyone advise how much $$$ it takes to buy/rent a concession.

It is the "I can drive 65 safetly" so why not let me instead of 55 scenario. While some people probably can come up and do those hunts safetly, not everyone can. Every year search and rescue pulls out hikers, boaters, hunters and such, Alaskans too at Alaskans expense.

Not all men are created equal, some make it into the Darwin Awards and some not.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I think if the guide rules weren't there you would have a lot of non-legal and young animals being taken. The rules are hard enough to understand for those who read them every year, let alone someone coming up for two weeks. Granted most of the good ones get on to a forum like this or call fish and game if something doesn't make sense to them, but there are those that would just go with their own interpretation right or wrong. I know that when I moved up in '05 and started reading the regulations it was a lot more complicated than Montana regulations. I do agree that for "safety" reasons it seems like forced babysitting. You should know your own limits and if you decide that you want to step outside those limitations it your own choice.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

"I say take all guide requirements away and let Murphy and Mother Nature sort 'em out"

While I'm not a big fan of Murphy (as in Murphy's Law), in this instance I tend to agree. I think it is pretty well known that the req. for out of state hunters to have a guide for sheep, goat, and bear is mostly a guide generated thing more than a safety thing.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I was just gonna ask, "Is that really the reason, for the Non Res guide requirement, Safety while hunting tougher hunts?"

Guessing, Bears can kill, and Sheep/Goats can lead you up into "country that can kill"
    Certainly, Moose and Blacktail country can kill the inexperienced pretty quickly

I always just assumed the guide req. was intended to limit NR impact by introducing extra expense, thus giving residents a leg up,....

Or also a more sly way to work over the Non residents, as "Tourist Hunters" for more income off the resource

Have no idea, ....just assuming, it wasn't really about NR hunters being less capable of surviving

So, the Real Reasoning, is it written down somewhere?

When you consider that it takes only 12 months to become a Resident,.....that's not a lot more experience in survival skills, is it?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

The State of Wyoming has a guide requirement for non residents hunting in certain wilderness areas. You can hike, camp, fish in those areas but he can't hunt w/o a guide.

I am ok with removing the guide requirement in Alaska as long as we limit non residents to 10% of the hunters, double the hunting license cost (currently $85), and increase the tag fee for sheep (currently $425) to $2,500 to be more in line with other western states. BB tags should also be increased to $2,500 from $500 and goats from $300 to $1,500.

I think it is pretty well known that the req. for out of state hunters to have a guide for sheep, goat, and bear is mostly a guide generated thing more than a safety thing.[/QUOTE]

I have seen that also but I can no longer find where I read that, its just my opinion from experience that they are also the most dangerous three hunts,and as already said and I agree any hunt here can be dangerous
    Dave

sorry didnt mean to imply that the reason for the guide requirement was because of those hunts being dangerous, I am not exactly sure of why it exists still, it is just my opinion from my experiences that those are the most dangerous as well,just curious that if the requirement was dropped would you support some sort of hunter safety/animal identification or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    sorry didnt mean to imply that the reason for the guide requirement was because of those hunts being dangerous, I am not exactly sure of why it exists still,....
    Bear, you may be right, I also really don't know the reasoning behind only some big game animals requiring guides and others not so,

Never having been a Non-Res looking to hunt, I didn't even know til lately that it is not required for all species,...which
    would make sense ln the enhanced safety aspect

even the idea that Brown Bear Hunting is more dangerous than Sitka Blacktail hunting, "in the midst of Bear Country,"
    doesn't make sense

The idea tho, that it is all about making it cost more for the, "More Marketable," animals is kinda cheap sounding to me

As to your question, I absolutely support some extra requirements for NRes, whether it be "get your act together" courses,
    additional fees, (like a lot higher $$) and whatever it takes to make sure they respect the opportunity,
    as opposed to take and run, leave your trash behind

Unless it took Fish & Game finances to run a program like that, would rather see the money go to the cost of Game Mgmt.

I have to admit I have seen some goofy hunters out in the woods, Res. and Non
    Seems the most "Together," hunters I've seen out there are the ones who've paid a lot, as in "the guided ones"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

We went thru the 'guide requirement' discussion some time back on one of Tustumena's Guide history threads.

IIRC ... back in the day all non-residents needed a Guide for all species. Mainly a rule to create and / or bolster the bush economy and a game management tool.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    We went thru the 'guide requirement' discussion some time back on one of Tustumena's Guide history threads.

IIRC ... back in the day all non-residents needed a Guide for all species. Mainly a rule to create and / or bolster the bush economy and a game management tool.

I apologize if this has been discussed before as it has been a while since I have been a part of this forum.It was just an issue that was popping up in the other thread and there was a lot of people saying to get rid of it so I thought I would ask.I also wanted to see what ideas there were to educate non residents on how to hunt in this country that is not forgiving at times and has regulations that sometimes you need a lawyer to interpret.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    I am ok with removing the guide requirement in Alaska as long as we limit non residents to 10% of the hunters, double the hunting license cost (currently $85), and increase the tag fee for sheep (currently $425) to $2,500 to be more in line with other western states. BB tags should also be increased to $2,500 from $500 and goats from $300 to $1,500.
    +1. Also, more general season hunts for Alaskans commensurate with decreased non-res opportunity. A preference point system should be in place for those who get skunked. Those who come up here and get skunked on their hunts are going to hire guides the next go 'round, anyway, so everybody wins!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

i'm not sure the guide requirement is quite as retarded as the second degree of kindred rule. thats 10x more ridiculous. Apparently i can take my brother out who (for example sake) could be the most dangerous, scary hunter you've ever hunted with but god forbid i take my best friend who could have the best safety record of anyone. the whole thing stinks of someones influence.

I think it is pretty well known that the req. for out of state hunters to have a guide for sheep, goat, and bear is mostly a guide generated thing more than a safety thing.[/QUOTE]

I agree the regs are hard to understand and the hunts are dangerous but it's obviously all about money and protecting the resources for residents. For example: A guy lives here his whole life and takes sheep, griz, mt goat every year for many years and then leaves the state. Now why would that guy have to pay a guide if he wanted to come back up for a hunt?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast