Thread: Nikon 2.5-10x Monarch-opinions

Default Nikon 2.5-10x Monarch-opinions

I am considering a Nikon 2.5-10x Monarch with the bullet drop compensating reticle(BDC). This reticle has the little holes as aiming points for 200, 300, 400 yards etc.I use Leupold for the most part, 2-7x's, 3-9x's and 2.5-8x's, none with long range reticles. This is for my Ruger 77 300Win Mag. Its currently wearing a 2.5-8x. It could see duty to 400 yards.The runner up is a 3-9x Leupold vxII with the LVR(?) reticle.Anybody use the Nikon? How do you like the reticle?

I have a 2.5-10 but with Mil-Dots. I can't speak to the BDC but I wouldn't trust something like that to be good for all calibers. If I wanted someting more than the Mil-Dot like that I'd get a scope with a custom turret. Other than that, I think that the glass is fantastic for the price.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

out to "400" yards that 2..5 x 8 with a custom reticle would work as good as any scope system you can find today and better than most AND for a reasonable cost - as a side benefit, when you send the Leupold in for the reticle they automatically go through the scope for free if you request it

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    out to "400" yards that 2..5 x 8 with a custom reticle would work as good as any scope system you can find today and better than most AND for a reasonable cost - as a side benefit, when you send the Leupold in for the reticle they automatically go through the scope for free if you request it
    Excellent advise. Thanks. Going to call Leupold today.

I have the Nikon Monarch 2.5 x 10, it is by far the best glass that I have ever owned. and yes I have two Leupolds so I have compared them side by side. I have mine on a 300 Weatherby, I can't say I've actually used the BDC the way it's meant to be used as with the 300 Weatherby the rounds shoot so flat out to 300 yrd it's not really necessary and I'm not taking shots much past 400 yrds anyhow. I think cost wise the Nikon is equal with the Leupold, so no gain or minus's there. For me the Nikon is best but I know there are a bunch of people on here that would disagree.

I agree with the Nikon glass, actually sold my Zeiss because I could see better through the Nikon. But everyone's eyes are different. Good luck.
    Goo

I'll have to agree on that Nikon vs. Leupold vs. etc ..... because everyone's eyes ARE different and also, there are so many varied grade levels no matter which scope line you look at ! I have several reasons for choosing Leupold, first and foremost is that I grew up with the factory in my neighborhood, second is the weight factor and thirdly, customer service is "owned" by Leupold - When not on a "huntin'" rifle I am open minded hence my willingness to give a new Nikon a try for a varmint rig, ordered from Nikon direct 5 mos ago ... nuttin' yet ! no scope, no word .... In 40 years I have had 3 what I could say were "Leupold" problems, one a failure in the reticle that was fixed with profuse apologies very quickly and 2 "people" errors than I understood were corrected when brought to their attention - I have used, recommended and purchased literally hundreds over that 40 years so I'm somewhat jaded ...

Cameraland has provided me with top notch customer service on both the scope and spotting scope I purchased from them. If you are looking for good deals they are a forum sponsor.

Cameraland ? I know "Cameraworld", hadn't heard of the other - as long as a retailer "believes" in the products they are selling and is willing to front for them come a failure that's awesome !

I have two rifles with Nikon Monarchs on them. I think they are brighter and clearer than any of the leupolds I have looked through. I guess my eye just likes the Nikon better. I would highly recommend them. They are also guaranteed for life. I have never had to work with thier customer service, but have heard nothing but good things when a few of my buddies have had to have something worked on. The comment by back country is the first bad thing I have ever heard when dealing with Nikon.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x on my Whelen, and it is the best scope I've ever had (including 4 different Leupolds).

Here is the website where you can input your own ballistic load data and find out exactly where the different rings and spaces will hit for your cartridge.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/

To each their own I always say .....

I put a 4-16 Monarch on my LRH in 300 WM an have a 3-9 and a 4x on other rifles. Haven't begun working on the 300 to comment on the reticle though. I would seriously consider the mil-dot.
    Those Monarchs are sure bright and nice glass for the money. Kinda of strange though when I look up at the mountain through the Nikon it almost hurts my eyes it is so bright but one night at twilight I compared the 3-9 with a Vari-X II 3-9 and the Leopold won the contest. It doesn't look so bright looking through it in broad daylight but I was amazed at how good it worked in low light. I use a vx-III on the mountain rifle (where I really don't want scope failure) only because I don't have the field time using the Nikons to have faith in their robustness.