Thread: Kale experiences?

Default Kale experiences?

Just thought I'd start the new year with some kale info and questions...

How does Kale grow in your area and how late are you able to harvest? We are going to be planting quite a bit around the place this year and I've heard of kale being better after a frost and some folks claim to be harvesting good stuff through December outside.
    What types of kale are some of you growing?
    Our favorite way to eat it for the time being is lightly steamed (5min)then pull the lower 1/3 of the woody stalk and throw that in the compost bin or chickens and toss the rest with some flax seeds, bragg's and hemp or sesame oil and eat cold. Really really good and makes you feel full and satisfied.

Mountaintrekker

Kale is one of my favorites, and it grows here even better than cabbage by my experience. Varieties I grow are subject to my taste preference (Russian red types, and Lancilato varieties), but have not found any variety that doesn't do well. Taste/sweetness after frost does seem to change some, with variability amongst varieties, but not enough to my taste that I would ever wait to harvest until frost. I pick and eat it all summer long as a primary vegi in my diet. Last fall I was harvesting Lancilato kale that had been standing frozen for several weeks down to zero degrees or a little colder (it was actually frozen solid and pretty brittle). Once indoors it thawed out and was firm, fresh and seemed no worse for wear.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Kale is one of our favorites as well, with the majority being used to make kale chips. (Peel leaves and tear into chip-sized pieces. Roll lightly in olive oil, spread on baking sheet, and bake for 9 minutes at 400 degrees. Salt lightly and enjoy.) We've only been gardening for two years, but our kale grows as well or better than anything else and has done just fine after a frost. In December it would be covered with snow...but we've certainly enjoyed it after a freeze.

Kale is one of the easiest and best producing plant I've grown here. Mostly grow Red Russian type. I tend to start some inside and then in goes out, under a mini-hoop type cover as soon as the ground is thawed. I'll harvest and reseed all summer long and harvest well into fall. I also just let it re-sprout from the root a time or two rather than reseeding. Last year I waited to do the final harvest until a really cold spell froze it solid. Just harvested it all, thawed inside and it was fine. I've never tried to leave it out through multiple freeze/thaw cycles so I don't know how well it would hold up to that.

I eat it fresh, steamed, or sauteed in a bit of olive oil. I like it with sesame oil as well. I'll make the kale chips Brian mentioned once in a while. Lots of it gets blanched and frozen for use in soups and stews all winter. I'll also use in just like spinach in things like stuffed shells or lasagna.

lacinato is my fav. super dark-i thnk its most nutritious. found from freddys, a new to me type-"premier smooth leaf" -ed hume seeds.
    ill eat it pretty much anyway. thinking of dehydrating & powdering.