Thread: We have ideas/need more

Default We have ideas/need more

My buddy and I will be flying to ANC on the 22nd of August. We intend to rent a car and drive to 'The Park'. We have the next week to check on my property and then see as much of the park as is realistic. We do intend to camp every night for a week then return to ANC. We are familiar with park rules about access but we are looking for some guidance as to which areas of the park we might enjoy most. He is a photo guy who loves, loves, loves sheep/wildlife. He has never been to Alaska but has camped for weeks in and around Yellowstone during all seasons. I have hunted Alaska several times On My Own. Point us towards your favorites and we will research from there. Thanks for reading.

"The Park"? Which one? Denali? W./St.E? GOA?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Yes, Denali. I have 10 acres in Healy and it may be time to either build or sell (fish or cut bait)

The only backcountry hiking I've done in Denali was out west of Wonder Lake; brushy and tons of bear trails, but amazing views of the range. Good hiking aroung Park HQ after the season ends.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Bears would be ok to see, any sheep out that way generally,(did you see any)?

I visited the park once, never made it back to Wonder lake. The popular viewing area for sheep as I understand it and witnessed is Polychrome Pass, the name says it all and the sheep were near the road and abundant on our pass through.

This should provide some useful info for you http://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm . Enjoy your visit !

The Primrose Ridge area is absolutely great for sheep viewing, and you can do it as a day hike- pretty great if you can't get backcountry camping permits. You park at the Savage River parking lot, the last place you can drive to without a road permit. Hike up the road for a mile or so, and look for trails leading up to the ridge on the north side of the road. You have to bushwhack through some brush for a short distance, but you're soon into open tundra. Once you're on the ridge, start looking for rams- we've gotten to within less than 50 feet of some full curl animals with no problem. Good luck- if you need more info, PM me. I can send along photos if you like.

-Tom-

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    The Primrose Ridge area is absolutely great for sheep viewing, and you can do it as a day hike- pretty great if you can't get backcountry camping permits. You park at the Savage River parking lot, the last place you can drive to without a road permit. Hike up the road for a mile or so, and look for trails leading up to the ridge on the north side of the road. You have to bushwhack through some brush for a short distance, but you're soon into open tundra. Once you're on the ridge, start looking for rams- we've gotten to within less than 50 feet of some full curl animals with no problem. Good luck- if you need more info, PM me. I can send along photos if you like.

-Tom-
    You need permits to go camping ?
    Alaska bound !

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    You need permits to go camping ?
    Yup.

http://www.denali.national-park.com/camping.htm#back

Thanks, I read that to . Is that just for Denali or applys everywhere ? Whats up with no campfires allowed ?
    Alaska bound !

Few vehicles are allowed in the park. the park is divided into areas and each area has a limit on overnight camping. So if you arrive late you have to pick a backup area.
    Thanks for the information. We intend to view sheep and that sounds like a couple of good places.

If you happen to make down Anchorage way there are some good climbs, scenery and sheep viewing opportunities along the Seward highway just south of town, FYI . If you choose to do so, please, be mindful of the traffic .

I have seen sheep and bears on the hillside south of town. Great idea for another day hike if we find ourselves in town with time to kill.

Ok, we have tickets to arrive early am on the 23rd. We will rest til we pick up the rental car(got a screamin deal) at 9:00. Then we'll go down on ship creek and try a bit of salmon fishing if the tide is coming in (as the charts say it will). Then the Gods determine our course. Plan 'A' is Denali units 28/29/30/31/32/37 and 38 depending on how many others want to access these same areas. If there is a bunch of rain in the forecast we will head east from Anchorage to the TMA where we would hope to find some sheep to look at. Either way we have 7 days in the wilderness to explore Alaska. Thanks for the input so far folks!!

28 days.....
    We are getting so excited!!

Update:
    Steve and I had a wonderful trip. We fished for silvers in Ship creek and Montana creek on the first day and had silver salmon for dinner. We camped out on my property in Healy for 3 nights and spent 2 nights in Denali National Park. We did a bunch of walking and a bunch of bus riding too. We were present the day the fellow from Cali met his demise. We saw bears, caribou, moose, sheep, bears, wolves, lynx, bears, vistas, rivers, bears, and bears. Wonderful time in the park. he can now paint for years based on the hundreds of photos he took. We then left the park and drove, via paxson, to sheep mtn. We camped 2 nights near the mtn and spent 2 days hiking and looking at sheep. Steve was able to spend a bunch of time near a bunch of ewes and lambs that fed his direction. We then drove on down to Seward and enjoyed the scenic views. We then drove back to ANC. Waiting in the airport to leave was difficult as we enjoyed the trip so much. Steve wrote in his journal, I wished we were just arriving.

Glad you had a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Thanks, I read that to . Is that just for Denali or applys everywhere ? Whats up with no campfires allowed ?
    I know this was an old question, but I saw it was never properly answered, at least on this forum. Denali Park is the only park in the state I am aware of with restricted access and required permits. Everywhere else (at least that I know of), you can do what you want, including build a fire. Denali is a special place because of the amazingly abundant wildlife close to the road and views of McKinley, but there are limitless other areas to hike and camp where you don't need permits, limits to the number of nights you can stay, and rules against fires and hunting.
    My signature is awesome.