Thread: mid-late September for charters out of Seward

Default mid-late September for charters out of Seward

Just wondering how late halibut / rockfish charters tend to run out of Seward? I have a buddy coming up for a mid-September hunt and he was wondering about adding on a day trip for halibut / rockfish. If he went the weekend prior to the hunt, that would be Sept 8-9. Weekend after the hunt would be Sept 22-23. I know late September gets pretty iffy in terms of weather, I also assume 'but are going out to deeper water by then...? Are most charters still running around Sept 9th? I planned on contacting a few charter companies to see what their anticipated dates were but was just wondering what the groups experience has been.

Thanks,

Jeff

Late September out of Seward can be brutal weather-wise. Fishing can still be decent though. Most stop fishing the first week of September from what I can tell. I rarely see any charters out when I fish the latter half of September.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I would suggest a trip out of Homer that time of year, most seward charters shut down early after getting their buts kicked in the weather there.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    I would suggest a trip out of Homer that time of year, most seward charters shut down early after getting their buts kicked in the weather there.
    Yeah, if you can make it over to Homer I'd suggest the same thing. Not only are there still halibut around but in a good day you can get a limit of halibut and also winter kings. It's a great time of year for kings. There are a number of operators such as myself that don't stop fishing unless the harbor is iced up. Just look up "homer winter king charters" on Google and you'll get quite a few. We even have a Winter King Tournament in Oct. because there are plenty of them out there.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

have you ever tried PWS that time of the year there is a charter still running, the boatI am thinking of is a fair size an there could be more doing it then also
    SID