Thread: Info on a Dall sheep guides?

Default Info on a Dall sheep guides?

I'm a non-resident from Colorado in the process of trying to pick a good Dall sheep guide. My friend and I have decided to book with a guide who has an exclusive area on Federal lands in hopes of having less hunting pressure from other guided non-resident hunters. I realize the majority of folks on this site are residents of Alaska and don't use guides but was hoping someone on here may know these guys or know people who have hunted with them. Two of the guides I have on my short list are Nate Turner of Turner's Alaskan Adventures and John Peterson of Bristol Bay Outfitters. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

I know I've seen reports on John Peterson on Huntingreport.com, and Nate I belive use to be on the Board of the Alaska Professional Hunters Ass.
    I wouldn't worry about Non-res pressure, Residents are still able to hunt there.
    Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by HuntNBgame; 01-30-2012 at 05:00. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger63 View Post
    I'm a non-resident from Colorado in the process of trying to pick a good Dall sheep guide. My friend and I have decided to book with a guide who has an exclusive area on Federal lands in hopes of having less hunting pressure from other guided non-resident hunters. I realize the majority of folks on this site are residents of Alaska and don't use guides but was hoping someone on here may know these guys or know people who have hunted with them. Two of the guides I have on my short list are Nate Turner of Turner's Alaskan Adventures and John Peterson of Bristol Bay Outfitters. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Exclusive area on federal lands???

Nate Turner was on the APHA BODs, but left it a year ago to sit on the AK Board of Game.
    I met him some twelve years ago when we were both guiding brown bear hunters for master Guide-Outfitter Richard Guthrie, working out of Cold Bay, Alaska. Everybody, guides and client-hunters alike, gravitated toward Nate because of his knowledge, experience, and "easy and confident communicative style". I was most impressed with his skill-set. He was the fastest and most efficient bear flesher I had ever watched and I learned much while fleshing a pelt alongside him.

Being on the APHA BODs did not screw-up Nate or his head, which was common among other APHA BODs. He remained a great guy.
    I never heard anything negative about his time on the Board Of Game except what one forum member, now deceased, expressed... may that former forum member rest in peace.
    Everybody who meets Nate Turner enjoys their time with him. I would completely enjoy ten days or two weeks with Nate Turner. Jeager63, I'd book the hunt now.

Side-note to DucksAndDogs...All big game commercial hunting services on federal lands are on exclusive guide use concessions.

Nate lives a truly remote Alaskan Trapper and guide lifestyle and knows more about Alaskan wildlife ecology than most of us combined will ever know.

AlaskaTrueAdventure/Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Exclusive area on federal lands???
    In some areas the feds limit the number of commercial operators, in an effort to spread out the pressure. Hopefully the state can figure out a way to do the same, without ending up in court.

But let's keep this one on-topic, okay? This little side-road is a hot issue and if someone wants to flesh it out some more, let's do it with a new thread in the Game Management forum, okay?

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger63 View Post
    Jaeger,

You might give Ralph a call, with Deltana Outfitters. I've never hunted with him, but I have heard good things.

You might also contact Mike "Buck" Bowden with Hidden Alaska Guides and Outfitters. I've guided sheep hunters for him and he's a good one. He's not on federal land though.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Another recommendation for Nate. I believe he has a good area that does not see much hunting other than his clients. His area in unit 26 is hard to get to without using an airplane.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Another I would highly recommend is Thor Stacey, who has an exclusive concession area in ANWR in eastern Unit 26. Can't find Thor's web info offhand, he used to do some guiding for Nate too. Thor is marine veteran, committed to fair chase hunts, really knows the land and animals, can't go wrong on any of his hunts.
    thorstacey@gmail.com

heres a reccomendation for deltana also...i cut my teeth with that oufit, and have nothing but good to say of ralph and jim. good guys and they hunt great federal country, both for bears on the penn, and sheep in the brooks. dont know anything of peterson, but i've heard good of nate turner as well. if you hunt with deltana i'd ask for billy molls or sean donovan as your guide...they both get it done quite well, and very consistently, but the outfit is pretty particular about who they hire to guide there hunts and i'm sure all of there current guides are competent.

zack

I met John Peterson on the Kongakut several years ago. My partner and I spent 2 days with him shooting the .... between our forays out from main camp. I like the guy and try to communicate with him every year. But, more importantly, I like the hunting area. It seems to be getting more pressure but it is a large area and John knows where rams usually hang out. Some clients spike out from one of his cub strips and others float down and hike up certain drainages. I'd love to go back there but the logistics are expensive. Let me know if you want more info on the area.

Rob Jones of R&R he doesnt hunt federal but has taken some of the largest sheep in the state and his track record stands for itself so he might be worth taking a look at before you make your final choice

Yup, so far as I Know John still has the Kongakut in ANWR. Last time I talked to him was after a sheep hunt in the Brooks in Fort Yukon. I also know several of his assistant guides - pretty enthusiastic sheep nuts. The Kongakut has some good sheep but they seem to be in distinct pockets. John has been guiding in this area for sheep for at least 20 years that I know of ... and as a result of this pretty well knows where the sheep are. Due to restrictions on guides in ANWR he is limited as to the number of sheep he can take out of his area and therefore by extrapolation the number of hunters he can have. He used to have a web site, but not sure if it is still up - might try a google search. Beautiful country and good fishing (arctic char) to boot. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

we met him once an thought he was very knowledgeable. nice to know you think the same. confirms it for us.
    connie.
    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Another I would highly recommend is Thor Stacey, who has an exclusive concession area in ANWR in eastern Unit 26. Can't find Thor's web info offhand, he used to do some guiding for Nate too. Thor is marine veteran, committed to fair chase hunts, really knows the land and animals, can't go wrong on any of his hunts.
    thorstacey@gmail.com

Just did this hunt with John Peterson this past August. Very good choice if he is who you decide to go with. Wonderful area that offers what you say your looking for and John runs a good operation. feel free to PM for specifics

PM sent. Thanks much

I am thinking you dont have enough posts to PM, idk. check your visitors messages.

bkdogs,
    I was not aware I needed a certain number of posts before I can PM. I have all his references from his 2011 hunts. They were on his annual newsletter. I'll call you when I get stateside in 11 days.