Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coming to alaska from the lower 48

Default coming to alaska from the lower 48

I am from Missouri, Tired of the drugs the stealing the shooting.i am just plain tired of stupid people i want to be in the bush enjoy the peace and quite. My family is coming after i get things Together at first me and brother in law amd good friend are coming up to cabin built any good advise for us on where to come

You won't escape the drugs, the stealing, or the shooting up here. You might not even find peace and quiet depending on where you end up. Don't get me wrong, I love where I live and I'd live nowhere else, but my head is not in the sand.

What are you going to do for a living, or are you independently wealthy? That will determine greatly where you can get a place to build on. Do you have a minimum of $50,000 available to you? If you don't I'd strongly reconsider. Moving to the bush isn't as simple as it once was.

I've lived in a lot of different places, and I know for a fact there are smart people and stupid people where ever you go - including here.

Quote Originally Posted by James1313 View Post
    I am from Missouri, Tired of the drugs the stealing the shooting.i am just plain tired of stupid people i want to be in the bush enjoy the peace and quite. My family is coming after i get things Together at first me and brother in law amd good friend are coming up to cabin built any good advise for us on where to come
    I would think that things are rather quite and that there are not any stupid people up in Mark's and Lorie's neighborhood This week.

Unfortunately, none of us can move to Mark and Lori's neck of the woods. Not much private property there.

Hey James; first off, you unfortunately will meet quite a bit of skepticism on this website until you actually get up here and start living.
    We hear from a lot of people about their plans to make the move, and that's the end of that. It's a dream that dies hard. Fairbanks is a good "jumping off" point for prospective bushies; you can learn a lot by talking to the right people about what to do and not do. Make it through a winter there and you might have a shot. Good luck!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

My bother in law that is coming with me lived in alaska for 14 years tell his family moved back to the lower 48 he is coming with me so i am not in the dark on this he has taught or told me alot about alaska i understand that stupid people are every where but its crazy around here we understand how rough it will be but we are ready for that we just need to find a little land that we can get our old hunting school bus to it has a woodburning stove we just wantthe old way of life live off the land a garden just plain simplelife the dream is not a dream anymore last year it was a dream now we are getting the supplies needed to survive the wilderness and enjoy life

i dont want to be negitive on here been to alot of forums but this forum is the one its that seems the most helpful and lower 48 friendly good or bad advise of course some of us from the lower 48 has done us all wrong by coming up to alaska and getting themselves into danger or killed by being NOT the smartest people living in alaska wilderness is 90 percent smarts the other 10 persentis listening to others living in the wilderness is not for someone that thinks that are king kong what can happen will happen what might happen will happen and what could happen will happen so you have to be smart and ready to fix and be prepared for thne what happens

Sweet, a bus! Potatoes grow pretty good most years in a our gardens. Alaska is a big place. Saying you are coming here is like saying where should I live in the lesser 48. You won't get away from drugs, thieves, shootings, possessive backwoodsmen, nor the greenies. Good luck, try Homer.

A bus means you will be on a road system so you will not get away from any of it. You might look at places like POW island (ferry) or some of the smaller islands where a barge can drop the bus off.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm fairly certain there is currently a bus in the bush North of Denali that is unoccupied. Might save you a bit on relocating costs.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'm fairly certain there is currently a bus in the bush North of Denali that is unoccupied. Might save you a bit on relocating costs.....
    I knew someone would come up with that little chestnut. Mike, you're getting too predictable...
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There are tons of places to build cabins on the road system in Alaska. You have to decide what kind of area you want to live. My recommendation is to come up and travel around a bit before putting down roots. And you need to develop some realistic expectations. The growing season is really short up here, and hunting / fishing regulations apply. It's unlikely you'll find a place on the road system that offers outstanding year-round hunting, excellent fishing, and everything else you need. Regardless of where you build, you're going to have to do some "hunting and gathering" in town, via a highway vehicle. And just "living off the land" as you say, is not going to happen without some supplemental income. Even folks living completely remote need supplies and that usually involves charter aircraft from time to time. Not to mention that the isolation of such a life is not for everyone.

Take your time, talk to folks here in this forum, and go into this with both eyes open. Otherwise you may end up being just one of the thousands who tried and failed because of unforeseen circumstances.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

James - First of all, understand that "living off the land" is not really possible up here. Even those who subsist primarily off of hunted, gathered, and grown food must supplement their food sources with purchased grain, rice, flour, oil, etc. The romantic notion of being able to do it all on one's own is just that - a romantic notion that is not reflective of reality. My family does not purchase meat (our freezers are full of fish and wild game) and we grow a garden during the summer, but that's only a small part of our calorie needs. Folks in the true bush like Mark Richards (bushrat on here) gather and grow a significantly higher proportion of their food, but even he and his wife need to purchase some of their foodstuffs.

Our fish and game regulations will dictate how much of your food you can reasonably expect to gather, and the short growing season will seriously curtail how much of it you will be able to grow. You can figure to put your first plants into the ground in late May and to harvest the last of it by mid to late September. For 8.5 months you will not be able to grow food and storage crops such as potatoes, carrots, and beets aren't going to be enough in the way of nutrition to carry your family through.

As someone else asked, what are you hoping to do for income when you're here? Knowing that will go a long way towards making a reasonable suggestion on where to start looking.

None of us are trying to be discouraging here. It seems like you want to go into this with your eyes open, thus the advice to carefully consider the realities of such a move. For what it's worth, a bus might be a fine way to get started, but you're going to be burning through a lot of wood as I can't imagine a bus is very well insulated. If you don't have the resources to build an insulated structure, make sure that you plan accordingly.

alaska hippie thanks for the bus offer but i dont want anything for free and i dont take people stuff someday that person may come back for that bus or someone may need that bus for surviL

alaska hippie thanks for the bus offer but i dont want anything for free and i dont take people stuff someday that person may come back for that bus or someone may need that bus for surviL
    It was a joke. Look up Christopher McCandless (or "Into the Wild", a book that was turned into a movie). McCandless was one in a long list of idealistic people that set out to find their version of Alaska and ended up losing their life.

Honest assessment is many of the people I grew up with that got into drugs have found the best way to eek out an existence is on remote property. I imagine they fund it by cooking meth or growing weed. Drugs are prevelent everywhere and remote AK offers some "protection" to just the type of people you are hoping to get away from. Tweaker isolationists with a meth lab are a scary bunch of people to be confronted with!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Honest assessment is many of the people I grew up with that got into drugs have found the best way to eek out an existence is on remote property. I imagine they fund it by cooking meth or growing weed. Drugs are prevelent everywhere and remote AK offers some "protection" to just the type of people you are hoping to get away from. Tweaker isolationists with a meth lab are a scary bunch of people to be confronted with!
    I can agree to this easily. About 2 out of 5 young people (under 30) I have met in an area within an hour's flight of a town was hiding out from people or the law. Decent enough as long as you did not tempt them by leaving your tools, gear, or anything else that can pawned, for them to "borrow". The older folks (under 50) were much better about borrowing things, but usually they were horrible drunks, and those that were not, had serious social disorders when "off their meds". Folks over 60 all seemed to be pretty decent.

James, if you really want to avoid people problems, go someplace where there is no way for people to get there without major financial consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    James - First of all, understand that "living off the land" is not really possible up here. Even those who subsist primarily off of hunted, gathered, and grown food must supplement their food sources with purchased grain, rice, flour, oil, etc. The romantic notion of being able to do it all on one's own is just that - a romantic notion that is not reflective of reality. My family does not purchase meat (our freezers are full of fish and wild game) and we grow a garden during the summer, but that's only a small part of our calorie needs. Folks in the true bush like Mark Richards (bushrat on here) gather and grow a significantly higher proportion of their food, but even he and his wife need to purchase some of their foodstuffs.
    "Most of us have an image of the northern forest as a rich land that fosters a great abundance of wildlife; but it is actually among the poorest of natural environments. We perceive it as rich only because we have so impoverished the rest of the continent. Boreal forest animals are elusive, thinly dispersed, and only periodically abundant. They are also sensitive to overexploitation, and their persistence into the present era reflects the moderation with which they have been used. Plenitude is an illusion is the subarctic, as the old Koyukon people can attest in their tales of shortage and near starvation."
    ~Richard K. Nelson, Make Prayers to the Raven
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

The reason most of Alaska is unsettled is that it is so difficult to make a go off the land.

Alaska is a great place to live in if you can handle it, but not everyone can. It's powerful land that will either humble you or crush your dreams. It is a land of extremes, best weather in the world (at times) and one of the harshest places in the world. Kinda like the people, some of the finest people you'll meet anywhere, and some of the absolute worst.

And while the peace and quiet in the bush might be appealing, it's been known to drive more than one person or two a bit batty. If you are going to live remote, make sure it is truly remote with no road access and no village. Some of the remote sparsley populated areas of the states have some of the worst thieving, killing and raping drunks and drug addicts and no effective law enforcement.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast