Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 most important things a newby should know.....

Default 3 most important things a newby should know.....

Hello,

Alaska is a dream come true for just about every hunter i've ever met. Lucky for me I will be living in the Fairbanks area by early summer 2012. I have found lots of great advise on this site, but was hoping for some area specific advise.
    If you could give a newby 3 important pieces of advise about hunting in the Fairbanks area what would they be? I want my hunting experience in Alaska to be properious, safe, and well, I dont want to do somthing Illegal or stupid to mess this up. So help...

Nature kills more Alaskans than critters.
    Enjoy the hunt a kill is gravy.
    The 30-06 is good enough for everything if you shoot it very well and use good ammo.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Just one: Keep the toilet paper dry

Always keep your whits about you

Prepare for one cold winter

Don't leave your pick-up unlocked while sitting along the road!

Hypothermia kills.

Drowning kills.

ATVs/Snowmachines get you into trouble faster than they can get you out of it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Be prepared! It's the unprepared day trips that can turn into a survival situation. Fairbanks is built in the middle of nowhere. You can drive 15-30 mins from town, take off walking and go for hundreds of miles and never hit a road or town. I'm from western Montana, moved here 20 years ago when I was 31. In MT I could stand on top of a mtn/hill, look out across the other hills and valleys and know what roads or highways and towns were in the valleys. Up here it's not like that. It's wilderness for hundreds of miles. In MT if you got turned around in the hills, for the most part you could walk start walking down and eventually the drainage would take you to the bigger drainages or you'd end up on some ranchers back 40. Not so up here.

Usually it's the seemingly small choices are what get you in trouble. Like, "I don't need any matches or raingear or that extra jacket. We're just going for a short hike over that hill..."

Learn to be bear-aware. Not scared of bears. It's the first line of defense for bear defense. Guns are the last resort.

Moose can be just as dangerous.

If it's not winter ALWAYS take your bug dope!

Cotton kills and the weather can go from hot and sunny to cold, wet and windy real quick.

Don't rely on someone else. Go prepared.

Rivers and streams can rise quick!

It's not dangerous but it can be.

Enjoy it. Alaska is unique. It was 45 below on my front porch in downtown Fairbanks this morning. It's warmed up to 35 below now. Redpolls are flitting around the bird feeder outside the kitchen window, moose stroll through the neighborhood. In a few months it will be 75 above and 24hrs of daylight. I love Alaska.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default Compass, lighter, rainsuit

Hey Dakota!

You'll love it here. Always tell at least one person (preferably more than one) where you are going: what trail head, what boat launch which road system etc. and when you expect to be back.

I always try to take more warm clothes than I think I need in my vehicle.
    I try to always carry 1) a compass 2) a lighter 3) a light rain suit (or pancho, my favorite).

All the other suggestions you'll find to be way important too, like BUG REPELLANT, you'll figure that one out in a hurry, and the cotton clothes thing is important because you get sweaty in cotton but it won't help keep you warm. Have fun but stay safe. Generally, no one can help you but you up here.

1. Make sure you understand the regulations and all the requirements there in, read and re-read them until you are sure you understand the intent of the wording.
    2. Keep your around 300 yards or under, there's alot of uncertain ground between you and the prize.
    3. Get in real good physical condition (if your not already) and buy a REALLY GOOD pair of boots.
    Along with whats already been posted.

Wow, another "3 things" thread....OK...

1. Get tough. That doesn't mean go out and do triathlons, never been on a hunt that involved running, lol. Mentally tough, as in, no whining when the chips are down. Don't know you, not assuming, just sayin'.

2. Know the regs and maps of your hunting area like the back of your hand.

3. BYOB
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    1. Make sure you understand the regulations and all the requirements there in, read and re-read them until you are sure you understand the intent of the wording.
    +1

Read the regulations book a couple of times and ask questions about anything that is unclear. The free regulation manual is not exhaustive, but it is fairly thorough.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

1. This forum contains a lot or information about the whole state. Use the search feature and learn.

2. Listen to the advice given by the experienced outdoors-men and women up here. There is a reason we do things the way we do. Because either it works well or we screwed up and learned from the experience of not listening or thinking we were smarter.

3. This isn't the lower 48. If you screw up here, you can't dial 911. You often, more than not, you have to figure out how to get out of trouble yourself.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

1) The difference between 49" and 50".

2) The difference between full curl and not.

3) The difference between the reg and what your buddy tells you is the reg.

1 - Getting wet can kill you, even in the middle of July. Stay dry at all costs, and if you get wet it is time to set up camp and dry off or otherwise address the situation. (As someone above mentioned, this is especially true when wearing cotton. Merino wool is your best friend, followed by synthetics.)

2 - Give serious thought to meat salvage and packing before you pull the trigger. That moose might be the biggest you've ever seen (or ever will see), but if you're more than a mile from a road or motorized vehicle you'd better give some seeeerious thought to what you're going to do when it hits the ground. The same goes for pulling the trigger when the animal is in the middle of a swamp, lake, or river.

3 - The fun does not need to end when the first snowflake falls. You can hunt small game, predators, trap, fish, scout, or train year-round. I truly enjoy January just as much as July. (Well...almost.)

crappy running Snowmachines on thin ice can get you into trouble faster than a girl could ever hope to.

everybody on the forum will have a different opinion on guns, so don't ask if you can take you 270 on a grizzly hunt, or if a 45 acp is enough for bear protection.

cotton kills, I got soaked to the bone with cotton pants over alls on and I dang near died, It was -10 and I was going in and out of consciousness as there wasn't a fire to warm up to. granted, i never changed what I wear as I can't afford it but I take super easy fire starting stuff, including some things that burn for a while
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

#1 Get a real good job
    #2 Hire a good lawyer to figure out the rules
    #3 Go buy a Airplane, river boat, ocean boat, 4 wheeler, snowmachine, a mountain of gear

Have fun..............!

Or do like the rest of us, and " run what ya brung", save for the important things, make do with the rest and try not do to anything stupid as it could kill you.....

Have fun................!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

The Fairbanks GMU is Archery only for most if not all of it. but it dont take long to get out of that area. Pleanty of good stuff to do here..

Cotton Kills when it gets wet...

1. things said on this forum often aren't reality.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    1. things said on this forum often aren't reality.
    -50 in Fairbanks yesterday... real.
    Frozen pipes, brakes, transmissions, square tires, ice fog, temperature inversions, air quality advisories... real.
    Incessant B&M from Anchorage residents about relatively warm temperatures... real.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

1. - Read the regs.

2. - Read the regs.

3. - Understand the regs.

Most will do pretty well with numbers 1 and 2, but as we see day in and day out even right here on this forum (which includes a small sampling of probably some of the most informed, responsible hunters/outdoorsmen in Alaska), there are a lot who have difficulty with number 3. If you have questions, don't try to make an assumption. You probably aren't the first to have that question and asking it again will only help you. When you do ask, be leary of responses that don't cite where they got their information as you may just be getting their assumption prestented as fact (this includes ADF&G or other authority groups). Look for written references for rules/laws/etc...

1. Take the Hunter Education class and become a certified archery and muzzleloader hunter.

2. Buy the best equiment you can afford. Quality stuff lasts forever!

3. Learn new or improve existing outdoor skills. (ie rafting, skiing, orienteering, fire starting, winter camping, driving 4-wheelers, snowmachines, & jet boats, become a private pilot, crossing rivers, first aide, butchering animals, shooting off hand, stove repair, ...etc)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast