Thread: Advice on some cagey coyotes

Default Advice on some cagey coyotes

I am fortunate to have a good friend who is part of the roadkill program. He also happens to live in an area with some farm fields and he disposed of the waste in one of his fields behind his house. I went out there this weekend to try to see if anything was on it. Sure enough, canine tracks were all over and around it. I sat in an area overlooking the carcass for about an hour and a half last evening right at dusk, and I sat there this morning right at daybreak. I tried using a variety of calls to try to coax them in. I even used my spotlight in the dark for a little while. It was pretty cold, so I didn't stay as long as I wanted to.

Now here is the two questions that I have.

#1. While sitting on a carcass, which calls would you use? First I tried some confidence/scavenger calls like magpies, and ravens. After no success, I switched over to a rabbit distress call, just because that always seems to work the best for me. Next I tried vole squeaks because it was in a field, and I thought the canines might be mousing the field. I even tried a woodpecker and grey jay distress just for the heck of it. Nothing. What are your recommendations? Which calls would you use, or would you use any at all?

#2. It also occurred to me that maybe I should set out a few traps. Now don't get me wrong, I am not against trapping. I used to trap when I was a kid. I just don't like accidentally catching non-target animals. Specifically dogs. I am fairly confident the tracks made were made from coyotes, but it is a slight possibility that the tracks are from a similar sized dog in the area. It is an area close to town and there are a lot of neighbors nearby with dogs. Any suggestions? I would like to set out some traps, but without being 100% sure that the tracks are coyote tracks and not someone's dog, I am a little apprehensive to set out some traps.

If you want to set on it call me I'll go help you set it. There are leash laws in AK and if you do get a dog you simple release it and send it on it's way. I always leave a rope attached to it neck so the owners know someone had to deal with there dog. Another note coyote tracks are really narrow compared to most dog tracks.

Calls, I would use birds and other coyotes howling or fighting.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    If you want to set on it call me I'll go help you set it. There are leash laws in AK and if you do get a dog you simple release it and send it on it's way. I always leave a rope attached to it neck so the owners know someone had to deal with there dog. Another note coyote tracks are really narrow compared to most dog tracks.

Calls, I would use birds and other coyotes howling or fighting.

Good luck!
    Hey thanks Teacherman. I might take you up on the offer. I actually did try a couple coyote locator calls last night too. I forgot to mention that. I didn't want to get too carried away with the coyote calls though. I have heard people say that coyote calls can scare away fox, so I try not to use them if I am in an area with both fox and coyote. I thought about trying a juvenile fox distress call too. Maybe I am overcalling.

I wouldn't use any calls at all. If its all tracked up already, everything in the area knows its there and you might just put them on the caution when you do call. Sites like that are generally ambush sites. You just need to figure out when most are coming in. My guess is a few might hit it through out the day but most probably come in at night. Get ya a good spot light or hunt when the moons out. Use an advantage point about a 100 or so yards away if you have one and make sure the wind isn't blowing from you to the pile.

Happy hunting and happy skinning.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

I have to agree with waterwolf. The bait is already there. If you really want to call then stick with raven or magpie calls. Set up a game camera if you can to find when and what is coming in.

I'm with WW...if they're already coming you're only educating them more. Watch the wind and dont sit it when it's wrong!!! If I were to call it would be towards the end of the season etc...maybe shortly after a new kill was dumped....but I wouldnt call every single time imho. I'd keep it quite rare! They are fat and happy and content with coming, let them come.

If you're worried about incidentals, namely pets, try offsets...hats off to you trying to keep from giving trappers another black eye, we have enough already. And keep your checks regular.

It wont be long howling should work well, mating season is close, something to consider as the season comes to a close.

I'd also look at the surrounding areas and call them if possible not the kill site directly if I was going to do it.
    Also watch your down wind!

dont call. just sit over the bait and watch. throw in a howl every once in awihle...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

If you can snipe them, that'd be the way to go. If you're finding that you cannot intercept them, I'd try another tactic. I'd try putting out one of those decoy coyotes near the pile and an e-caller. Play an extremely loud howl a few times and let things settle down. If you have a dogs fighting sound or coyotes fighting sound, play that after a few minutes and then let it settle down again. If those coyotes are in the area, they'll come in to check on the invader(s) trying to get their food cache. I wish you lived by me, it would be fun to run the caller and video camera on that one for sure. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Good idea about the decoy snowcamoman. I hadn't thought about that. I might have to run down to sportsman's warehouse some time this week to see if they have one. I am still undecided about using the traps. I got a half dozen #3 coilsprings that would fit the bill, but like tradbow said, I wouldn't want to give the trapping community a bad name. I might just stick to predator hunting for awhile. I hope I didn't spook them coyotes with all the calling I did last weekend.