Thread: Underground Propane

Default Underground Propane

All this discussion about frozen pipes made me think about my propane project scheduled for the summer. I plan on running black iron underground from my tank to where I'll have a propane heated hot tub approximately 50' from the tank. Anyone know how deep to lay the iron and any other special precautions to take when burying propane lines?

You might think about getting the plastic type of line that they use for natural gas as I think that you will have trouble with the black pipe buried. If it is in a area that will not be used for other things that would be disturbing the ground you should be good at 16" to 18' deep. There is several places that you can get the pipe made up any length you need

For propane you run soft copper tubing, black pipe is used for natural gas.

If you use plastic pipe or copper pipe be sure to add a messenger wire so you can located it in the future.

Black iron can be used with either natural gas or propane inside a building. Just don't use copper for NG. I do not believe that Alaska has a code in non-city areas for underground propane lines. You should not use black iron underground since it corrodes too easily. Copper was used extensively in the past, but most applications are now using plastic pipe. I haven't checked lately, but the yellow plastic was only sold to contractors trained in it's use in the past. However, I have seen it sold at SBS lately too.

DO NOT USE BLACK PIPE in the ground, use copper or plastic.

Roger that, no black iron underground. LOL

I had a contractor install the propane system inside my cabin and I have one section where the yellow flexible pipe AKDoug mentioned was used. Tried to make a small change to the system after-the-fact and discovered you can't buy the stuff without proper licensing.

Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on depth? Big Bend mentioned 16-18" and the area will be driven over with vehicles.

In most states the code would be 16'' to 18'' with a yellow caution tape 6'' above it. I do not think you would ever have a problem with the pipe freezing up. Besides itís not the propane gas that freeze's, it would be the tank getting so cold that the liquid propane would not boil and produce the gas. Now the bigger the tank the more extreme cold it will take without a problem the smaller like 20lbs to 40lbs are the tanks that have problems in extreme cold. I have two 100lbs Tanks by the house and we have seen -30 and we still get gas to the house. So i would suggest when you berry it make it the min. I would however really look into the plastic pipe instead of copper.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Roger that, no black iron underground. LOL

I had a contractor install the propane system inside my cabin and I have one section where the yellow flexible pipe AKDoug mentioned was used. Tried to make a small change to the system after-the-fact and discovered you can't buy the stuff without proper licensing.

Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on depth? Big Bend mentioned 16-18" and the area will be driven over with vehicles.
    If this area is going to be driven over you should plan to insulate the pipe under the driven area not for freeze protection but from frost movement . The soil will move different depending on the contents.A couple of layers of the foam insulation that is pre molded with a slit in one side. That should be good to keep any rocks from damaging the plastic pipe.