Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: You are KING of Alaskan sportfishing regulations... what 3 things would you change?

  1. #1
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default You are KING of Alaskan sportfishing regulations... what 3 things would you change?

    this thread has been fun on the hunting forum... thought it would be fun here too.
    Ill go first...


    1.) Seasonal KS limit on fresh waters of the KP will be " 3 (three) KS from anchor, deep creek or ninilchick, no more than 2 from any one river. ... OR 1 (one) KS from the waters of the Kenai river.
    The first salmon landed must be retained, and shall constitute an annual bag limit. Once an angler has retained 1 (one) KS in KP fresh
    waters he/she may not fish for KS in the Kenai river.

    2.) Eliminate all C&R fisheries for anadromous fish.

    3.) Reduce the razor clam limit to 25 on the east side, and alternate open areas, N of ninilchick beach in odd years, South in even.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    this thread has been fun on the hunting forum... thought it would be fun here too.
    Ill go first...


    1.) Seasonal KS limit on fresh waters of the KP will be " 3 (three) KS from anchor, deep creek or ninilchick, no more than 2 from any one river. ... OR 1 (one) KS from the waters of the Kenai river.
    The first salmon landed must be retained, and shall constitute an annual bag limit. Once an angler has retained 1 (one) KS in KP fresh
    waters he/she may not fish for KS in the Kenai river.

    2.) Eliminate all C&R fisheries for anadromous fish.

    3.) Reduce the razor clam limit to 25 on the east side, and alternate open areas, N of ninilchick beach in odd years, South in even.
    Geezuz, Dave, you sure know how to open up a can of worms!

    I'm certainly not a fish biologist, but I do know that KS salmon runs vary considerably from year to year and I just find it hard to put a definitive limit on the number of KS that people should be able to retain in any given year. Would that extend to saltwater, too? I've caught a lot of fish around Anchor/Whiskey Gulch that are full of roe that are undoubtedly headed for somewhere that might possibly be the Kenai river.

    Also I've caught some pretty small (20 lb.) kings in the Kenai and if they're going to spawn and only produce fish that will only develop into more 20 pounders is that something that should be regulated?

    I guess I could go on and on about that, but I'll leave room for the 100 or so responses you'll get to this.

    As for #2, in my personal opinion (YES, MY PERSONAL OPINION and not to be confused as it was with a recent comment I made on another thread) I'd have to vote no on the C&R for all anadromous fish. If I'm fishing the Anchor and hook a pink I'm going to do everything possible to make sure it gets back into the river and survive. I also have no problem with a lip hooked coho or king that I don't want to retain making sure it is still processing water well through its gills (to the best of my knowledge) and that it will swim away instead of going belly up and becoming gull and eagle feed. I try my best to get any fish in was quickly as I can without tiring the fish to exhaustion and I PERSONALLY don't think releasing a fish that is handled properly to be detrimental to the fishery. Yeah, I could be wrong and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that don't feel the same way and are going to tell me so in no uncertain terms (Wow! Am I getting paranoid!?!), but that's MY opinion. I also catch a LOT of winter kings that are lip hooked and as soon as I release them they are out of site quicker than you can even count.

    I can't comment of the razor clam issue since I've never done that.

    I can't wait to see all the other comments on this. Nice thought provoking thread, Dave!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  3. #3
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Right on, Dave....totally agree about the razors. Clamming's gone in the toilet around here.

    Increase the snagging limit in Tutka Lagoon. It's a zero escapement fishery anyway, right? It sucks to have to go out there and limit out in 45 minutes and come back the next day.

    Reduce the subsistence halibut permit catch limit. 20 halibut a day is excessive right now.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  4. #4
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Good thread!

    1) Make grayling fishing limits to keep 1 to 2 per day, Statewide. They aren't much to eat unless you eat them the same day, but they sure are fun to catch!

    2) Put serious bounty money out there for pike where they have taken over lakes due to illegal stocking. Something that would make people really go after them where needed. Poisoning is not working. I bet for $5 per fish, you'd get folks. Heck, maybe they already do that. I'm not up on it too close. Just hear about it everywhere.

    3) Limit of 1 King Salmon per person, per year in KP fresh water. Agree with Dave, first king goes in the box, and then you can sit back and have a beer.

    Bonus: Stock more interior lakes with Rainbow's, near Mile 68 of the Denali Highway, primarily.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  5. #5

    Default

    I'll play,

    1) No more seperate king limits for non-residents versus residents in S.E. AK., should be the same for everyone. Can anyone name another state that has seperate limits for non-residents? doubt it. A majority of the fish being caught didn't originate in AK, why do Alaskans have more of a right to them then non residents?
    2) 1 ling a year for non residents is a joke, I don't have a problem with the slot limit but 1 a year is rediculous. Keep the slot limit for non res but give them the same catch limit as residents. I doubt many of my guest would keep more then 2 or 3 a year and that wouldn't hurt the population any. Hard to explain to someone who has paid thousands of $$$ to come fish AK why they have to release the numerous lings they catch throughout the day while were salmon or halibut fishing, I can't tell them there's a shortage because thats total BS.
    3) Allow guides to fish, Im required to pay $240 a year for a license and king stamp yet I can't fish??? Even when it was legal I didn't do it often and never did it with 4 clients on board but on days when I'm only fishing 2 or 3, its nice to occassionally drop a line. Or when I have inexperienced, young or elderly guest who are struggling, many ask me to fish for them and hand them the rod when I hook up, have to tell them, sorry, ADF&G in their infinite wisdom doesn't allow that.

  6. #6

    Default

    1. Legalize party fishing for charter boats and sport boats. The limit is for the boat, not the individual fisherman.
    2. Get rid of the rockfish rule (you have to keep your first rockfish) in SE.
    3. Raise yellow eye and ling limits. They are everywhere, and mysteriously keep showing up in good numbers to the same rockpiles that have been fished for the last 50 years, despite the bios saying that they are easy to fish out and are really old.

  7. #7
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Here's mine.

    1/ Change the catch and possession limits to read in possession means in possession wether it's whole/packaged/thawed/frozen/canned/pickled/smoked etc. In possession means in possession.

    2/ Give a liberal limit to residents and a much less liberal limit to non-residents (ie. 2 days catch limit)
    No more out of staters running factories in their rented campers and shipping 6,000#'s of sport caught salmon overseas for profit.

    3/ Introduce a stamp and tightly regulated king fishery in South Central.

  8. #8
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    1 - Reduce the ling cod limit to 1/day in all state waters.

    2 - Prohibit the release of cohos in freshwater within 5 miles of the saltwater and prohibit further fishing once the daily limit has been taken.

    3 - Require the release of all halibut over 60" for both sport and commercial fisheries.

  9. #9
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    1. No Commercial Shrimping in PWS. Make it a Sport Fishery only, 5 pots per boat and you must buy a $50 shrimp tag.

    2. No halibut will be retained over 100 pounds by sports fisherman. Any Halibut caught by a Commercial Fisherman over 100 pounds will be properly retained and be donated to a noteworthy charitable organization.


    3. Any by catch from a commercial fisherman will be retained and properly maintained until it can be donated to noteworthy charitable organization.

  10. #10
    Member Sobie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Oh man, you really show your colors when you reply to a thread like this.

    I have a MS in Fisheries Management. Lots going on here. Remember that Halibut are Federally managed vs other state managed fisheries.

    Personally I'd love to see sportfishing for King Salmon in Southeast be allowed in freshwater so we could river fish for kings like on the Kenai, but here in Southeast the king rivers are trans-boundary stocks so we bow to Canada.


    Subsistence/Personal use halibut catches are not the problem to our current low abundance. 20 halibut a day is a reasonable number if you actually live the lifestyle which most of the time means sharing your catch. ADF&G Div of Subsistence has consistently documented that 90% of the subsistence resources are harvested by 30% of the users. Think giving fish and game to your elders both family and non-family. You are harvesting for those who cannot within your commumity. Often those who cannot harvest process the food.

    At any rate lots of good stuff here. I can't wait for more posts. What a great thread.

    Sobie2

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    3) Allow guides to fish, Im required to pay $240 a year for a license and king stamp yet I can't fish??? Even when it was legal I didn't do it often and never did it with 4 clients on board but on days when I'm only fishing 2 or 3, its nice to occassionally drop a line. Or when I have inexperienced, young or elderly guest who are struggling, many ask me to fish for them and hand them the rod when I hook up, have to tell them, sorry, ADF&G in their infinite wisdom doesn't allow that.
    I hate to say it but it had been legal for the last couple of years out in the salt. I started chartering in 2010 and I specifically asked the people at SDF&G about it and they assured me it WAS legal. I don't guide in fresh water, so things might be different there, but in saltwater it is legal (unless they've changed it this year.)
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I hate to say it but it had been legal for the last couple of years out in the salt. I started chartering in 2010 and I specifically asked the people at SDF&G about it and they assured me it WAS legal. I don't guide in fresh water, so things might be different there, but in saltwater it is legal (unless they've changed it this year.)
    In SE at least, you can't have more rods out, than the number of clients.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    In SE at least, you can't have more rods out, than the number of clients.
    In 3A captains or crew members are allowed to catch their own fish along with their clients and with a "Transfer of fish" form which is on the last page of the regs book you can donate those fish to your clients. Three years ago it wasn't allowed, but they changed it in 2010. I haven't looked into it this year, but I haven't heard anything different. If someone out there knows something I don't, please inform me.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    1. The State of Alaska take control of all fisheries inside the three mile limit.

    2. Personal use limits for residents that are eligible for the PFD only, and all sport limits the same for residents and nonresidents no matter what platform they fish from.

    3. No fishing for King Salmon on the Kenai river above the Soldotna bridge, and a $500 bounty on all seals and sealions found inside any river mouths!!!!!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    In all of Alaska you can only use the number of rods on a charterboat that you have clients. Read the regs don't take anyones word because ignorance will not help you in court!!!

  16. #16
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,890

    Default

    #1 Make retaining a snagged red on the kenai legal ( you snag them in the mouth to keep them anyways ), and when you have your limit you must stop fishing.

    #2 You must keep the first king landed in any freshwater system

    #3 Only one halibut over 55" long would be allowed to be kept per year, with an annual limit of 10 halibut per person
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    In all of Alaska you can only use the number of rods on a charterboat that you have clients. Read the regs don't take anyones word because ignorance will not help you in court!!!
    That's the way I've always understood it. Number of rods must = the number of clients. And as akkings said, the possession lies in who "hooks" the fish. So, if Mr. Trooper is watching a charter boat, and a client sets down his rod to take a piss, and the rod doubles over and the guide grabs it and sets the hook, the fish belongs to the guide, NOT the client. It counts towards the guides bag limit. So if the client lands the fish, guide tosses it in the box, then the trooper can write a few tickets and turn a hard working guide into a criminal.

    Now in 2c, a guide can't keep kings and halibut, as they are treaty fish. The ADFG bio told a guide that a guide can keep non-treaty fish on a charter, but I'm going to try to get that in writing before I do it! (like cohos, ling, yelloweye, and lingcod) It'd be really nice to grab a yellow eye out on a charter for dinner when I get home.. but I want that in writing.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    In all of Alaska you can only use the number of rods on a charterboat that you have clients. Read the regs don't take anyones word because ignorance will not help you in court!!!
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Call fish and game tomorrow and ask them if captains and deck hands are allowed to fish along with their clients. When I do that I have to count myself as a client in my log book.

    But as I said before they may have changed the rules this year. I haven't checked into it yet. But last year and the year before it was legal. If you don't believe me ask the ADF&G.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    That's the way I've always understood it. Number of rods must = the number of clients. And as akkings said, the possession lies in who "hooks" the fish. So, if Mr. Trooper is watching a charter boat, and a client sets down his rod to take a piss, and the rod doubles over and the guide grabs it and sets the hook, the fish belongs to the guide, NOT the client. It counts towards the guides bag limit. So if the client lands the fish, guide tosses it in the box, then the trooper can write a few tickets and turn a hard working guide into a criminal.

    Now in 2c, a guide can't keep kings and halibut, as they are treaty fish. The ADFG bio told a guide that a guide can keep non-treaty fish on a charter, but I'm going to try to get that in writing before I do it! (like cohos, ling, yelloweye, and lingcod) It'd be really nice to grab a yellow eye out on a charter for dinner when I get home.. but I want that in writing.
    Yeah. But what does that have to do with what we're discussing? If I am the one that "hooks" the fish I count that as MY fish. If my client hooks a fish and then starts puking and can't handle pulling the fish in I count it as my client's fish.

    I don't fish in 2C so I couldn't care less what their regs are.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I don't fish in 2C so I couldn't care less what their regs are.
    If you don't care about SE (2C) why you spouting off about my post???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •