Thread: Could use a little info on Kodiak Deer

Default Could use a little info on Kodiak Deer

Its been ten years but I am finally heading back to Kodiak for a deer hunt next fall. Im on a shoestring budget this time and I am planning on using a fish and game cabin on this trip(Hunted with a transporter last time). At any rate I have got the message about getting away from the cabins to find good deer(starting my exercise regiment now). Planning on hunting the Uganik area(Island or Lake, not sure which). Any info would be great. I am from Texas so I definetly will not be moving in on anyone's hotspot. Thanks for any info you can give.

Good Hunting, TH

I'd stay away from cabins and head down there in August for an alpine hunt. The bears are on fish down low and we only saw one up close our entire trip. Both Andrews Air and Seahawk Air can put you on lakes above the alder line that hold deer.

Even if you go in the later fall you can camp comfortably in remote areas if you bring the correct equipment.

I hear you on the camping. Only problem is the other two members of my party are a little leary of camping(worried about bears) so they veto'd my original camping idea. Is it tough to get deer from the cabins or is it tough to get "good" deer from the cabins? Thanks for the info.

I don't know firsthand because I believed all the warnings that deer near the cabins was tough. I bet, though, that if you just walked a mile or so you'd be into deer.

We had a hunt there in October last year. Nearest deer to the cabin was 1.5 miles straight line distance. Even in October the only bucks we saw were on the tops.

Yea I am planning an October hunt also. I am leaning toward the Uganik Island area instead of the Lake. Doing my research it seems I hear alot about bear encounters around the Lake. I dont have an issue with doing some climbing to access the bucks if it is possible. I would rather go in November but I am concerned about weather issues and getting stuck for a while.

Was out there this last Oct and I don't think that would be in my top 5 areas that I'd go for deer. We saw a few does and fawns down on the beach but didn't see any any decent bucks at all. Not even up high. I think the Island gets hit fairly hard by the boat based hunters
    Just my .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

From what I've been seeing, Kodiak is having a rough winter (for the deer survival). I'd develope a friendship with the F&G office on Kodiak for updates on deer survival (once spring hits). I'd also do the same with one of the taxi services - Andrew Air & Seahawk come to mind. Those guys are flying pretty much year round and can probably keep you advised on deer pops on different areas of the island.
    Finally I'd start working on the puzzies that are accompaning you. You will need to base near the deer, even if that means living in a tent for a week. Personnaly I feel as safe in a tent with a bear fence as in a cabin & I know I'll see more deer that way.