Thread: Final hunt of the season

Default Final hunt of the season

Went down to WA for the final week of the season. Got in some big goose action and had some fantastic cornfield mallard hunts. Great to get around and do some different waterfowling. Banded mallard came from 20 miles west of Peace River AB. See the link for pics and story.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/s...d.php?t=889442

Sounds like an awesome time. When I got to work this morning my computer calendar popped up with a reminder telling me the last day of the season in WA had passed. I remember putting it in there when all our lakes froze up here. I went to school in Easter Washington and truly miss the bird hunting down there.

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Sounds like an awesome time. When I got to work this morning my computer calendar popped up with a reminder telling me the last day of the season in WA had passed. I remember putting it in there when all our lakes froze up here. I went to school in Easter Washington and truly miss the bird hunting down there.
    Its definately a nice way to extend the season a little. Ours being so short. Also nice to see the "tornado's" of mallards bombing into corn. Its something we dont ever see up here, and the sounds of being under 300 or more mallards is something that is just awesome. Where did you go to school? I went to CWU in Ellensburg. Great place, in a hunting paradise back then.

Easter Washington University, We hunted about an hour and a half south of Spokane, on the Snake River. Pheasants, Quail, Huns, Ducks, Geese and coyotes. If Alaska didn't exist I would move back in a second. We usually jumped ducks, not too much decoying until very late in the season.
    Those were the days, Book and Birds, nothing else mattered.

Where abouts were you hunting?

We hunted pretty much from Moses lake to Othello. Sometimes a bit south of there depending on the birds. This year, we stayed mostly in the Othello area. Got friends and folks that let us hunt their properties over the years.

We have some property in Idaho, right above the Clearwater river. We plan on having a place there to spend parts of the year off in the future. I also really enjoy the upland hunting in that area, and around the Snake. Its just about bird dog heaven....

Yep, do remember those days of books and birds. Except, back in those days, the Colockum elk hunting was fantastic. Hunting season and classes conflicted a lot, with hunting usually winning over. Good days.

Great pictures and love that pup....
    Thanks for the link.
    Dan