Thread: Dalton Hwy, Haul rd, Class C motorhome caribou hunt

Default Dalton Hwy, Haul rd, Class C motorhome caribou hunt

My 3 sons and I are headed to AK this summer for a month. *We will travel from Flagstaff AZ the north slope to caribou hunt a distance of 10,000 miles RT. *I have hunted a long float trip with Doug from Alaska West in 1998 and drove the Haul rd in 1995 for a nice bull Moose with a bow. *Now I am taking my boys.
    Question?
    I have both a*Class C motorhome*and a 6 pack Ford with camper availible. *We hunted to Deadhorse in a 6 pack before and I didnt see to many Motorhomes *there. *Will the Class C hinder us too much for pull offs and manuverability? *It sure would be nice for the Alcan Hwy and we will also spend a week in Keni fishing as well.

Thanks
    Tom

I say bring the motorhome as 1 month with 4 people in a pickup camper can be real tight. I just did a trip south this last summer and we started with a cab over. It wasn't too long before we decided that it was too small for the wife and I and two small kids. There should be plenty of spots to pull over on the haul road and if not then if one of your boys is of driving age then they should be able to drive ahead while you take off on a stalk. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Thanks,
    My son is almost 18 and will definately be helping drive.

I wouldn't suggest taking a class C, I'd take the 6 pack. It might be crowded but there aren't many pull outs on the haul rd and manuevering a class C in some of them will be a chore. The pull outs that are up there aren't that big and depending on what time of year you go up there it could be crowded. You will be a lot more limited on where you can pull over to hunt if you're trying to find a place to park that class C. I've thought about bringing my camper up there on a few trips and ended up leaving it behind. On every one of those trips I was glad I didn't take it. If it's a summer trip and you're worried about space bring a small tent along as well. While you're on the Kenai fishing you'll be wishing you brought the class C but once you get up the haul road you'll be glad you didn't. Just my opinion.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I drove my Class A up there once, will never do that again. Tent and a heater for me.

Have fun and be safe.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm to very honest with you. The haul road with chew up your motor home and shake her apart. Second you 18 year old son has no business driving a motor home on the haul road. The road is no joke and has a lot of things that can happen quickly and end up really bad. Second you need to realize and understand the truckers on the road run that road day after day. Let them by and slow down went you meet each other. They pretty much have right away. Myself I would never take a motor home on the road I cared about. If you do decide to drive the road its beautiful and you will see thing you will never forget.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I'm living in Flagstaff right now. Let me know if you ever want to talk hunting or look over maps or anything. I've hunted and fished pretty much all over the state.

Std & Akmike are right.

The haul road was TERRIBLE this year. Oh ya there was a Motorhome brokedown for about 4 days in a turn out by Tulik lake.

Just as they said , The road shook the thing apart & they could not get anyone to help out but us hunters.

There are plenty of places at Ice Cut, Happy Valley, The Rest Area, up by the Ivishak landing & several maintnace roads you can park on , BUT MAKE SURE you are all the way to one side so the crews can get in unobstructed.

If you park in one of the turn outs you wont be camping alone, We had 4 other tents set up by ours after about 5 days of being totally alone, But then the caribou & the people showed up.

The truck traffic was a real mess this year with all the construction & mud from the crews watering the road.

Good luck
    RJ Simington

Hi Coues,
    Had visitors last July that wanted to travel the Dalton Hwy. We had an option to take my motorhome (30ft Class A Gulfstream) or PU with camper. Opted for the PU and camper. Good thing we did because the road was so bad I would have turned my MH around very early in the trip. Lots of rain, very rutty road, large trucks with oversize loads, etc. I survived the trip with only a broken windshield. Didn't have any tire problems as I had a new set of Cooper ST Max's installed prior to the trip. They held up no matter how tough the conditions were.
    Another note... we didn't see any MHs attempt to travel farther than the Yukon River crossing.
    Whatever you decide... have a great hunt!!!
    Just my $.02

We took the Class C motorhome out yesterday down a high speed dirt road in Camp Verde Arizona, and after 5 miles, things were already shaking off, and it is brand new. We as well are going to stick with the Pickup/Camper because if we took the motor home, we might go crazy. *The noise from the shaking was absolutely insane. *Thanks for everyones advice!! *

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    I'm living in Flagstaff right now. Let me know if you ever want to talk hunting or look over maps or anything. I've hunted and fished pretty much all over the state.
    I sent you an email but im not sure if it sent. let me know!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Take the Motorhome.

The worst that can happen is, you will be mistaken for a Subsistance Hunter.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Take the Motorhome.

The worst that can happen is, you will be mistaken for a Subsistance Hunter.

Smitty of the North
    Especially if you're pulling an enclosed atv trailer with it.