Thread: Haul Road Dalton Hwy class C motorhome hunt

Default Haul Road Dalton Hwy class C motorhome hunt

My 3 sons and I are headed to AK this summer for a month. *We will travel from Flagstaff AZ the north slope to caribou hunt a distance of 10,000 miles RT. *I have hunted a long float trip with Doug from Alaska West in 1998 and drove the Haul rd in 1995 for a nice Moose bull with a bow. *Now I am taking my boys.
    Question?
    I have both a Class C motorhome and a 6 pack Ford with camper availible. *We hunted to Deadhorse in a 6 pack before and I didnt see to many Motorhomes *there. *Will the Class C hinder us too much for pull offs and manuverability? *It sure would be nice for the Alcan Hwy and we will also spend a week in Keni fishing as well.

Thanks
    Tom

I think that a Class C would work fine. You will just have to drive slower. I see a couple each time I'm up there. I run Copper Discoverer AT3's in E rating and they hold up great to the long gravel drives on the Haul Rd. and the Denali Highway. The Haul Rd. now is far better than it was in the 90's. In fact, sections of the Alcan are just as bad as the worst of the Haul Rd. now.

Are the Discoverer's on a turck or motorhome? *Thx

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    drive slower
    +1

Class E Tires
    Plenty of spares
    Plenty of extra fuel
    And a good floor jack with a couple jack stands

I would recommend a satellite phone too. You can plan for every little thing to go wrong and yet something else always seems to happen. Good Luck with your hunt!

You'll have a great trip in the Class C... +1 for the 10 ply tires. Making that trip w/out a flat (or a much lower chance of one) would be well worth the investment. I've yet to run the haul rd but have been on the Denali highway several times flat free....in this.

cell phone pics 178.jpg
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

That big of windshield isn't going to last long at all. Bring super glue and a plastic bag for forcing it into the cracks and chips. I have made the run 6 times. I would't take that up there. But tour buses do run the road. Class E tires, have never had a flat.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have also seen multible moterhomes up there and I was always jealous as I was sleeping on the rocks or in my truck,the only issue I see with a motorhome only hunt is that when the caribou are spread out and you have to find them it seems that you would have a hard time chasing in a motorhome, not that it cant be done the road is much wider and nicer then it used to be and there does seem to be more pull outs,if I had one I would not hesitate to take it, like its been said drive slow and have good tires,tire repair kit, extra gas and all and just go and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Coueshunter105 View Post
    Are the Discoverer's on a turck or motorhome? *Thx
    They are on my pickup. I tow small heavy equipment behind it on a regular basis on gravel roads. They might be a little aggressive for a motor home, but they sure are holding up great for me.

Doug's recommendation on the Cooper tires is a sound one. I have been running them on my F250SD for years, have sold others on running them as well, no complaints. They are tough, wear well and ride smooth.

Hey Coueshunter.... I Like the name, I grew up in Show Low, and miss coues deer hunting alot since I moved to Alaska! Anyway...I drove it last year for caribou. The situation up there is alot like back home in Arizona during the August Archery Deer Hunt up on the Kaibab or Hart Prairie or the White Mountains...Lots of traffic. It really is a road hunt. If you were going to drive it up and PARK IT, I think it would be delux. But, it you had to be mobile (like there were no caribou within 10 miles of you) it would be very hard. You may drive and find a herd, but in that rig, you could not turn around or stop on the road with all the truck traffic. You may have to literally drive 10 mile to find a place to turn that rig around in, by then your bou would be someone elses bou. A truck would be way more mobile. The weather ought to be nice, camp out and maybe you will see the northern lights! If you do the 5 mile hike (I did last year) a soft bed would be awesome at the end of that hellish trek! You think running the ridges of AZ can be tough for coues, well, the tundra with all its tussoks, bogs and spongy, murderous, hidden, man killing tricks is tough too. But worth EVERY drop of sweat! Awesome trip for you and your sons. Wish I could have done it with my dad before his knees gave out! Anyway, hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    Hey Coueshunter.... I Like the name, I grew up in Show Low, and miss coues deer hunting alot since I moved to Alaska! Anyway...I drove it last year for caribou. The situation up there is alot like back home in Arizona during the August Archery Deer Hunt up on the Kaibab or Hart Prairie or the White Mountains...Lots of traffic. It really is a road hunt. If you were going to drive it up and PARK IT, I think it would be delux. But, it you had to be mobile (like there were no caribou within 10 miles of you) it would be very hard. You may drive and find a herd, but in that rig, you could not turn around or stop on the road with all the truck traffic. You may have to literally drive 10 mile to find a place to turn that rig around in, by then your bou would be someone elses bou. A truck would be way more mobile. The weather ought to be nice, camp out and maybe you will see the northern lights! If you do the 5 mile hike (I did last year) a soft bed would be awesome at the end of that hellish trek! You think running the ridges of AZ can be tough for coues, well, the tundra with all its tussoks, bogs and spongy, murderous, hidden, man killing tricks is tough too. But worth EVERY drop of sweat! Awesome trip for you and your sons. Wish I could have done it with my dad before his knees gave out! Anyway, hope this helps!
    Small World I grew up in Globe right over the canyon from ya...

The one thing I'd mention is be aware of where you stop when you see something interesting.

Itís gotten scary a few times coming around a blind corner to find tourists stopped in the road with family and kids all over the place looking at bear or moose. Just because there is not a lot of traffic doesnít mean there isnít any traffic.

Other than that, be prepared and enjoy.

That's a very good point Kelvin. First and foremost the Haul Road is a commercial trucking road. Be aware of your mirrors at all times and don't stop in corners or over blind hills even if there are caribou.

Since you posted this same question in two different rooms I hope you are referencing both of them. You are getting completely different feedback in the two rooms.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine