Thread: -62 So What trips do you have planned this summer

Default -62 So What trips do you have planned this summer

I know when I get stuck in the house I tend to go from Computer to Fly Tying Desk to reading about fishing to looking at photo's to tying flies back to the computer and ramble ramble ramble! I have two Floats planned one on the Upper East Fork and Main Gulkana and one on the Middle Fork out of Dickey Lake as well as a trip to Wyoming this Fall for a hunt / fish combo. I am hoping as well to get back to Kona for some crazy stuff that is if I can fit it all in between work, guiding and coaching.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1050203.jpg  

Bluemoose,
    My summer only consists of 15 days of R&R this year. I requested July but got pushed back till around 1-15 Aug. I plan on spending one night on a real bed with a real bathroom nearby (I don't have to get dressed to use) (and my wife,lol). After that I'll finish loading up the raft, Nitro (my lab), and wife and head up to Paxson to float the Gulkana down to Sourdough. Once that is over I'll have a couple of days to either follow Nitro around after birds or load the wheelers up and try to find a caribou or a sheep.

I'm staying close to home this summer, but will leave in a few weeks for a trip south to intercept spring down there and fish a month. Destinations are kinda free-wheeling at this point depending on weather and water down below, but I'll start in the southern Sierra Nevada and work my way east and north as it warms. The trout aren't huge, but folks are already fishing and complaining about the cold (40's at night an only getting up to 60 each day). Dang.

Heading out to the olympic peninsula in Mid Feb.

Lookin' like 4 GoodNews floats, maybe a Togiak trip, as well as an American River and a few other Katmai area runs.

Gonna be a good season of rivers and tents.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

It's been far too long since I've cast a fly at grayling in one of my favorite spots on Earth. I really look forward to taking my sons along this time.

Hopefully my season will start off with a trip to situk, then a few kenai runs, a few local mat-Su rivers, then the mighty clearwater, also try to catch all 5 species of salmon on the same fly, and of course fishapalooza. And whatever quick trips come up this year
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Right now I have two big trips planned... islamorada tarpon in may and steelhead on a little known to not be named stream for steelhead in the fall. Will also be trying once again to hit the karluk for steel just have to see if i can get the time off.

of course i'll be doing a lot of "day or two day trips" on the kodiak road system for all salmon and trout

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak Commando View Post
    ...islamorada tarpon....
    Take lots of Bunny Cockroaches. The flats around 7 Mile Bridge a little further south at Marathon peak the third week of May, if that helps your planning. Guides get scarce then, both in Islamorada and Marathon, so book well in advance.

My job takes me to remote villages throughout the state every other week and I usually fish after work and extend my stay to certain locations. This season I will be headed to Metlakatla in April and hope to catch some steel and cutts. In May I will be headed to Pedro Bay on Lake Illiamna and I'll fish for bows. I'll also be headed to Aniak and Chignik Lake. All of these locations (and several others) I'll be visiting several times from early spring to late fall. In between these remote trips I'll be hitting the parks highway streams and the Kenai.
    BTW Moose, I really don't miss the interior on -62 days....

Default Pic's of my summer plans!

Here's my plan for as many days as possible all summer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 248653_10150213997314451_530099450_6759377_5114101_n.jpg   030.jpg  
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Take lots of Bunny Cockroaches. The flats around 7 Mile Bridge a little further south at Marathon peak the third week of May, if that helps your planning. Guides get scarce then, both in Islamorada and Marathon, so book well in advance.
    yeah i'v had the 7-11 of may booked for quite some time don't know if i'll bring any flies though i may just use what is provided

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak Commando View Post
    yeah i'v had the 7-11 of may booked for quite some time don't know if i'll bring any flies though i may just use what is provided
    That's a great time slot, so you should see lots of fish and get lots of shots if the wind cooperates. If you're guided, yeah. Everything will be provided. My experience is that you should pack lots of fluids in addition to those the guide provides. You'll sweat your eyes out when fighting bigger fish in that heat and humidity, and just can't seem to drink enough. It's not uncommon to go through gallons on a busy day, and nver have to relieve yourself once. Of course, that's if you're trying to land fish- and you'll certainly want to do that for your first and maybe any really large ones. Think in terms of 1-2 hour fights for bigger fish. After landing one or two you'll become a lover of "jumping" fish. Just break them off once they quit jumping and start their long runs. You can jump over a dozen on a good day, but if you're landing fish you're young enough you might even be able to do two in a day. One is a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's a great time slot, so you should see lots of fish and get lots of shots if the wind cooperates. If you're guided, yeah. Everything will be provided. My experience is that you should pack lots of fluids in addition to those the guide provides. You'll sweat your eyes out when fighting bigger fish in that heat and humidity, and just can't seem to drink enough. It's not uncommon to go through gallons on a busy day, and nver have to relieve yourself once. Of course, that's if you're trying to land fish- and you'll certainly want to do that for your first and maybe any really large ones. Think in terms of 1-2 hour fights for bigger fish. After landing one or two you'll become a lover of "jumping" fish. Just break them off once they quit jumping and start their long runs. You can jump over a dozen on a good day, but if you're landing fish you're young enough you might even be able to do two in a day. One is a lot!
    Definately want to land some but i'm not goin to expect it. I'm humble enough to realize that i am new to this type of fishing and going after those beast with a fly rod looks borderline crazy lol

I bet you get plenty of chances to land them. On a busy day you might get shots at as many as 20 fish, and if they daisy chain next to the boat you might get a dozen casts at the same batch before they break up and move on. Your long casting skills learned up here should give you a couple or three shots at each cruising fish, so I'd say your odds of hooking up multiple times in a day are really high. Of course, if you make a 90' cast, then quickly a 60' cast, then quickly a 30' cast, and the fish eats on the 15' cast that comes next, the action is going to get more exciting than you can imagine. You've got 100+ pounds of fish over your head next to the boat and 75' of line laying all around your feet. Katie bar the door!!!!!!

It's funny down there, but they talk about how many fish you have "in" you, or how many per day you have the stamina and strength to land. Saw as hard as you can on a 12-weight or a 14-weight rod for a couple of hours in the heat, and you'll think twice about landing #2. Best I ever landed was three in a day, and I spent several days recovering. After the jumps are done, it's a long slog of the guide chasing the fish with his electrics AND push pole while you saw away. Lots of down and dirty. It can take an hour to get your backing all on the reel so you're fighting on the fly line. Then another half hour of the fish circling the boat. That's IF you really keep the pressure on so it can't rest. Let it rest and you'll have backing in your guides for another long spell.

Nothing tropical for me this year, but I'm heading to Montana for the Skwala hatch in early April, then work takes me to the Stikine in May so I may try for some cutts and bull trout (or at least try for bull trout). It will be my first summer in Juneau so there will probably be lots of trolling and jig thumping. This fall I'm heading back to Dillingham to hunt moose in mid Sept. but will head out a week early just to camp and fish rainbows/grayling/charr......my hunting partners don't let me fish when it's moose time

With the recent foot of sloppy snow in Juneau, big sky country and sunshine sounds mighty fine right now.

No fishing for me until at least the end of August and then I'll be fishing the Smoky Mountains, South Holston in TN, Watauga in TN. Probably hit a bunch of spring creeks in PA over a long weekend. Then two weeks on Lake Ontario tributaries for some GL Steelhead then pack everything up and be in Alaska at the end of December or early January.

June 1 heading to the Kvichak for the summer where it is always warm sunny, no bugs and lotsa big trout. If you believe that I have a lodge to sell you. Seriously I will sell you the lodge...

George

I got my first boat bought and all ready to go over the last month... I'm feeling like I got the keys to the state, and will be spending my summer exploring every remote piece of water I possibly can!!

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I plan on spending one night on a real bed with a real bathroom nearby (I don't have to get dressed to use)
    Man, I remember that being one of the biggest things I looked forward to - getting back to a bathroom that I didn't have to get dressed to use.
    I feel your pain..
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It