Thread: Adding some air circulation to my boat.... ideas

Default Adding some air circulation to my boat.... ideas

I am looking to add some air circulation to my boat. I need to move the warm air from the main cabin into the bow sleeping area. I had thought about just adding a little cage fan (like the ones used for keeping your windshield clear) but the ones I have found seem cheap and flimsy. What do you think about adding running some PVC pipe along the gunnel inside the boat and using one of these:http://www.lslproducts.com/IL-DSPage.html as the fan. They are two speed, quiet and move a good amount of air. They have the PVC fittings on them and I think with some clever plumbing I could draw warm air from very near my heater (wallas cook top/heater) and have it blow out up in the bow.

Anyone have any other ideas for ducting? The wife is not sold on the idea of an Espar yet, however I have plans to put on in or take the Hydronic unit out of my truck and find a way to make it work in my boat..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

You can play around trying to make that cook top heat the entire boat, but you are going to end up installing an espar airtronic 4 anyway. I fired mine up yesterday at -12 and it heated the cabin up to short sleeve weather. Seriously!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I'm here to tell ya , spoiled ones heater kept me very warm for 5 days on the water.
    Pete, I LOVE your heater.

Yep, I agree. Buy the Airtronic D4 and be done with it. I can and do the same at Spoild One. It's an amazing little heater. But I do like the idea of your PVC fan. Seems like a great way to just move air around. But then again, the D4 has a fan mode and you can duct it into your cuddy too.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I know what ESPAR's can do, I have a HydronicD4 on my truck that pre-heats the engine, just trying to "get by" for another summer as this years boat upgrade is a full camper top so we can use the back deck in the pouring rain. I might just try this out while I start the ESPAR fun.

Thanks guys.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Look at the inline fans made for ducting at Lowes. They are made to install in-line like on a air dryer vent to keep the air moving. Very inexpensive and the ducting is flexible and collapsible. (Inverter might be needed unless you can find a 12 v version). Just throwing out ideas here….
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I know what ESPAR's can do, I have a HydronicD4 on my truck that pre-heats the engine, just trying to "get by" for another summer as this years boat upgrade is a full camper top so we can use the back deck in the pouring rain. I might just try this out while I start the ESPAR fun.

Thanks guys.
    Since you are into "red neck engineering", why not use a valley canopy? We put ours together for about $50. It works great and could free up some ESPAR money.

Humm, that setup looks more like a South Anchorage boat canopy from my view.. it would have holes, paint stains, & moose blood on it if it were from the valley??

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Since you are into "red neck engineering", why not use a valley canopy? We put ours together for about $50. It works great and could free up some ESPAR money.

I love the red neck canopy... Heck the ESPAR is actually 4th on my list. I want a cool boom arm like Spoiled one and then I would need a cool RIB tender to lift with it... then a canopy and an ESPAR. However the Admiral gets cold sleeping up in the bow so we need to move some warm air in that direction.

The ducting fan is a good idea, if I can find a 12v one. I kind of like the septic tank fan since it moves a decent amount of air, is cheap and I can you PVC pipe and duct tape to make it look good. Actually 2" PVC will fit up nicely in the space I have and no one will ever see it, I was thinking about drawing the air from inside my cabinets, as it gets warm in there with the Wallas on top and the fridge below it. This might help cool it down a bit.

All kidding aside my wife actually admitted last night that we should probably just get an ESPAR after we get a canopy done. Anyone know if Silverstreak is going to run there boat show special this year?

All kidding aside my wife actually admitted last night that we should probably just get an ESPAR after we get a canopy done. Anyone know if Silverstreak is going to run there boat show special this year?
    Better order your espar before she changes her mind!

Anyone know if Silverstreak is going to run there boat show special this year?
    They had specials during the Dewey's boat show in the Northway Mall, but I haven't heard if they will be at the Anchors Aweigh Boat Show that's coming up.

Well I will be there looking for them, need to get the canopy sorted so I can get it done before spring.

Redneck topper? I love it! I'm already drawing up plans to put one on the Warhorse as we speak! Any pics of the tubing and advice on bending the tubes/attaching them to the boat?
    JR2, I've got a topper on my Zodiac from Silver Streak and I guarantee that it is smaller than what they'll make for yours. At the price that I paid for the topper and the price that I paid for the Espar I say the better option is for a real heater and an authentic redneck canopy for the back of the boat...

I use a couple of the telescoping tent poles and put them in the rod holders on my cleaning station. I purchased a couple of 11' sections of pvc pipe and drilled two holes in one that correspond to the "pointy end" of the tent poles and that becomes the aft cross piece. The other pvc piece is zip tied to my rocket launchers. Run your tarp between the two and add your bungees. I run a couple more poles in the form of an "X" between the cross pieces to help the tarp shed water.

I wouldn't run at 30 knots, but it works great while sitting on the hook as the clouds "fail".

I do like me some redneck engineering...... heck I was going to use a septic tank blower fan to ciculate air in my boat. I bet with some PVC pipe and some planning I could make me a world class redneck canopy.... have to try to sell my wife on that, wish me luck.

I am looking to add some air circulation to my boat. I need to move the warm air from the main cabin into the bow sleeping area. I had thought about just adding a little cage fan (like the ones used for keeping your windshield clear) but the ones I have found seem cheap and flimsy. What do you think about adding running some PVC pipe along the gunnel inside the boat and using one of these:http://www.lslproducts.com/IL-DSPage.html as the fan. They are two speed, quiet and move a good amount of air. They have the PVC fittings on them and I think with some clever plumbing I could draw warm air from very near my heater (wallas cook top/heater) and have it blow out up in the bow.

Anyone have any other ideas for ducting? The wife is not sold on the idea of an Espar yet, however I have plans to put on in or take the Hydronic unit out of my truck and find a way to make it work in my boat..
    West Marine sells a 3" inline fan that I have contemplated using to build a windshield defrost system. Might be worth a look.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM