Thread: Barney's Kevlar Bags?

Default Barney's Kevlar Bags?

Well, it's time. After a number of animals and lots of years, I need to replace my pack. My Barney's frame and straps are basically new, but my bag is ripped on the bottom and it's time for a new one. They're selling their big kevlar bag at the Sportsman Show for $299, which is a bit more than $100 off. My question is this: are there issues with this material being as waterproof as their other bags? I talked to someone today who indicated that while the material is tougher, lighter, and more abrasion-resistant than the old (traditional) bag material, it is lacking in the water-proof department. I'd rather carry an extra pound if my gear is going to get damp. Does anyone have any experience with this pack material for hunting? Thanks.

-Brian

brain, to be honest i've only ever seen one person use it, they liked it but if that stuff was that great i think you'd see more people using it...maybe some more of the guys in here will come forward on the stuff, its got a warrenty ,try it out if it falls apart Bobs usually good about taking care of you.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Kevlar Material

I'm on my second kevlar pack from Barney's. I have never noticed an appreciable difference in shedding rain between my bags and the normal cordura type material. Every backpack I have ever used will eventually get wet in an Alaskan downpour. I use a cover to try and keep the inside dry. I do believe the kevlar is much lighter when soaked, i.e. holds less water.

I went through the same thing last year and went with the codura,mainly because if it does rip it could be sewed back together.

Brian, I just bought a Barney's Kevlar pack system but haven't used it yet. My guide loves his but he does use Sea to Summit water resistant compression sacks for sleeping bag and clothing storage in his pack. Those things are great! He does not use a rain cover with the pack but he always has a couple of plastic bags on hand if he ever needed to protect it from an extended period of rain at camp. I have always used a rain cover with my Kifaru pack but didn't get a cover when I switched over to the Kevlar Barney's setup based on the guide's recommendation. Based on observations during my hunt, the kevlar seems to shed water better than cordura (both types were in use) and most packs will leak somewhat anyway due to the fact that the seams aren't taped and sealed.

Alpine

Lightbulb barney's frontier gear pinnacle kevlar 7,000 cu. in. bag

brian f.a.;

i have the kevlar barney's bag for 10 years now. it is at least 8 ozs. lighter than bob's next lightest bag and is sewn with kevlar thread as well. i find it to be highly water resistent. for redundancy's sake i also most times put a morth face pack cover over it or cover it with a garbage bag when done for the night.

the only bad thing that i could say is that i would prefer camo for it. that kevlar material was not available in camo. i know cause i asked bob. for someone who prefers camo everything many of my gear items are solid colors.

the bag was not offered for many years in kevlar and only recently became available again and the extra cost may be 2 reasons that you have not seen more of them around. my 2 cents...

not sure how it'd work with the kevlar but i silicone spray my pack about twice a season, so every 7 hunts or so and it'll bead water up on it fantastic, i've never had gear inside get wet, even dropped outa the floatplane once and i snatched it up and everything was still dry...quick dip didn't hurt it, i lay my rain coat over it at night for dew and any rain at night but have had water puddle up on it and not soak thru.
    I too use the sea to summit dry bags for my clothes, helps keep my dirty laundry from stinkin' up the rest of my gear and i can lay it outside my tent or under the fly and the ground to get anything wet....great little bags.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Well, it was a last second decision, but I ended up going with another cordura bag. The kevlar seemed nice, but the saleman did indicate that it soaks through a little more than the cordura (although the latter does get heavier when soaked with water). In the end, the $70 difference matters to me right now, and I wasn't positively sold on the kevlar, so I went with what I know works well. I've never had a complaint before, and I know I'll be happy in the future...as long as I can carry more sheep out with it! Thanks for the info, fellas.

-Brian