Thread: Caribou in the year of 92 coming through the Salcha and Fairbanks area.

Default Caribou in the year of 92 coming through the Salcha and Fairbanks area.

Just curious if anybody has done some research on why they picked a differant route for 1 year.

I know it used to be a route that they used to use but hav'nt since the 50s I believe, then suddenly they show up for one year and then back to the ones they use now.

I remember alot of them on the road that year, I think that was the year that snow came down with a vengance in September and bent all the trees.

Just wondering if anybody has any insight on this.

Funny, I was thinking of that the other day. I remember driving back to my house and seeing caribou on Chena Ridge Road coming down off the hill by the boat launch. The year before I saw a black bear on the edge of the slough on the other side of the road from the boat launch, and I've seen moose in there multiple times. Doesn't seem like a real prolific area, but I guess it has its moments.

I never did hear why the bou moved through Fairbanks that year. I don't even recall reading a newspaper article regarding it.

I remember that we would see them on the side of Farmers Loop and out in the Ester area throughout the winter. Pretty odd and never did hear a reason why. I think Mowry did an article in the paper about it but not positive.

That was a heavy snow year and the fall of 93 was when we got hit real hard in Sept knocking out power to a lot of people.

The trees to this day still bear the marks of that sept. storm.

I was lucky enough to get my moose on the 6th of that year and got down on the 7th, my brother got his on the day it snowed and played heck getting out of there. I believe it was the 9th.

The way that whole year worked out is still a boggle.

It would be like back in the 60s-70s when the buff. were roaming downtown Delta and seeing it happen again. ( could'nt remember if it was 92-93 )

I had heard about the buffalo coming into town back then and heard they would rub against the buildings on Greely and it would shake the entire thing. Never knew they came back into town in the 90's that would have been something to see.

That was one heck of a bad storm!

Probably miss wrote that Bronco, lol,

I hav'nt seen them in town since about 76 I think that was about the time they moved to the fields.

I was trying to make a comparison if they would have came back into town for a year because of some freak storm that changed thier behavior.

I used to love seeing them things roaming through the yard. We were living in a trailer when I was a kid and some nights we would wake up to them rubbing up next to it to try to get the warmer grass shoots that were the first to grow in the spring. Getting on the bus some mornings was a challanage sometimes when you had 50 buff. between you and the road, lol.

92, Ah Yea, that was the year I had to leave my 4-wheelers in the woods. Snow was too deep to get them out. We rescued two guys that had become stranded, and was attempting to walk out on the Rex Trail. Both were suffering from Hypothermia, one real bad. We wrapped him in Blankets and placed him against the engine compartment on the track rig. When we dropped him off in Anderson, he swore he was leaving Alaska. Said he was going to his apartment, pack his stuff and catch a ride to Anchorage. Later checks with the folks in Anderson confirmed he did exactly that.

The snow was real deep up in the hills, believed to be the driving force for the Caribou to change their migration pattern that year. Back in the late 60s it was not uncommon to see Caribou on Chena Hot Springs Road. I remember seeing them behind Eielson back then. The 40 Mile Herd was huge back then. The larger numbers ment the herd scattered out more for better feeding oppertunities.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

That was my first year moose hunting in Alaska. We got a 50 and 60 incher off the Elliot on Sept 13 in the snow. I also remember seeing Caribou in town where Home Depot is now, right across from Seekins road.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

It's always fun to see game in weird places. Winter of 92/93 was when caribou ended up in Talkeetna also. I still remember riding my snowmachine across the Talkeetna River at the railroad bridge and cutting a herd of 20 on the other side. Happened again in about 8 years ago when I came across a small herd in a snowstorm at the intersection of Comsat Rd. and the Talkeetna Spur Rd. Those caribou actually ended up crossing the river to Trapper Creek.

I think the funniest thing ever was a musk-ox that escaped from the old musk-ox farm (before it was moved to Palmer) at mile 102 of the Parks. It ended up near Fish Lake on the Talkeetna Spur and freaked a few people out