Thread: There was actually a fish in big lake today!

Default There was actually a fish in big lake today!

Granted, it was only till 5 O clock when I had to bring my herring in and switch to a spoon, but by golly for a while there was one in there. HaHa.

Seriously though, has anybody been catching anything out there? I was using a whole herring for pike, about a foot and a half off the lake floor, I was jigging about that deep with a chartreuse spoon, no bites.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

It sounds hard to fish that lake. When it warms up I think I'll head out there and try again i sure hate being cold and getting skunked in one trip.

Large spoons in about 10-15' of water off of Burnt point. Be patient, they will come.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

90% of the fish are in 10% of the water definitely applies to Big Lake. It's tough. I've fished it roughly half a dozen times in the last year and caught ONE fish.
    I will not stop though
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Isn't this why they call it "fishing" and not "catching"?

I don't know about you, but just kicking back inside the QuickFish next to the Buddy heater with a line in the water on a frozen lake in Alaska is plenty enough rest and relaxation for me. It's always fun to catch, but just being out there is most of the experience for me.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I agree JOAT its just nice to get away and be out there.

Yup JOAT certainly has the right attitude.
    I also agree with Pike Palace in that persistence will pay off for you eventually.
    I have never fished Big Lake before but I have had good luck pike fishing elsewhere in shallow areas on the edge of weed beds.
    Herring has payed off for me o tip ups. I have also caught them on Airplane jigs and spoons.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Granted, it was only till 5 O clock when I had to bring my herring in and switch to a spoon, but by golly for a while there was one in there. HaHa.

Seriously though, has anybody been catching anything out there? I was using a whole herring for pike, about a foot and a half off the lake floor, I was jigging about that deep with a chartreuse spoon, no bites.
    I haven't fished big lake in years... but back in the 70's I used to have real good luck at Burnt point.. about 50 ft from shore in maybe 20-30 ft of water. I never used any bait, I just jigged spoons. red/white daredevils and the red Pixies worked quite well on Dollies and Rainbows. Never caught a pike or burbot in Big Lake... Another favorite spot was the Island just off the North boat ramp... just off shore in 20-25 ft of water...

My favorite spot on Big Lake is a half mile past Burnt Pt. Hang a right and drive towards the North shore on the plowed road. When you get to the shore turn right onto the plowed airplane runway and go about 500 yrds. to the East. There's an underwater point that drops from 15 ft. to 35. Set up right on the top side of the drop-off. A lake map will help immensely and there were always alot of nice charlie vardens traveling through. Also caught nice burbot there in late winter. The biggest was 35". This was my honey hole and since moving back to MN this fall, I felt the need to share the info. on whats always been my favorite forum. Let me know how you do. Tight Lines fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by frydaddy View Post
    My favorite spot on Big Lake is a half mile past Burnt Pt. Hang a right and drive towards the North shore on the plowed road. When you get to the shore turn right onto the plowed airplane runway and go about 500 yrds. to the East. There's an underwater point that drops from 15 ft. to 35. Set up right on the top side of the drop-off. A lake map will help immensely and there were always alot of nice charlie vardens traveling through. Also caught nice burbot there in late winter. The biggest was 35". This was my honey hole and since moving back to MN this fall, I felt the need to share the info. on whats always been my favorite forum. Let me know how you do. Tight Lines fellas.
    Thanks, I will try that. I have a topo map that has lake depths. when your giving directions, are you coming form big lake? I don't know if you know it or not but the road changed a couple years ago, it no longer launches from north shore. I live out past big lake but there is a road hat connects right by call of the wild (between mud and flat lakes) and I access it from there.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

i have always caught rainbow and dollies off burnt pt. but no pike or burbot. with the weather change maybe ill try tomorrow.

I'm debating on weather to hit big lake tomorrow after work or diamond where I know I'll catch something, I just have been fishing big lake this year for something new and exciting, to get away from the drag of catching a 12 inch trout on the same place I'f fished got the past 6 years.....

i tried it out again, no luck. drilled 5 holes only marked fish in one. they were out at about 25' away from me and would not come in. there were probably 3 or 4 fish in a group milling around.

Info for all concerned. I read in the trooper report how guys are getting busted for using bait fishing BigLake.

I haven't read it myself, but I heard there was a stipulation for pike rigs...? Herring only maybe?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

i you go to big lake, you will probably talk to a cop. i have been checked in the past but havent this year. yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I haven't read it myself, but I heard there was a stipulation for pike rigs...? Herring only maybe?
    Whole bait fish such as herring, smelt, whitefish etc.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

your allowd 2 lines in big lake for everything, but you can use up to 5 lines for PIKE ONLY, if you catch a different fist on any of those lines when you have 5 out you mist return it.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    your allowd 2 lines in big lake for everything, but you can use up to 5 lines for PIKE ONLY, if you catch a different fist on any of those lines when you have 5 out you mist return it.
    Per regulation, if targeting pike, make sure the bait is off the bottom.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

ive alway had the best of luck in 5-10ft of water! espesialy for burbot. shallow is the way to go.
    try glow in the dark tube jigs and if you targetting burbot GO BIG!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)