Thread: Correct drilling and tapping for open sights

Default Correct drilling and tapping for open sights

I'm getting ready to drill and tap a couple of my rifles for open sights using my Forrester jig setup. I'd used the fixture before for scope mounts but not for open sights.

Question is: do I drill the holes in the barrel perpendicular to the bore or to the surface of the barrel? It will not matter much for the front ramp but the rear sight is on the more tapered part of the barrel.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Generally they are drilled and tapped perpendicular to the bore. However, take a look at the holes in the sites you are using and see how they are aligned and do the same on the barrel. I assume you have a plug tap to start these as well as a bottoming tap to finish them. I really hate tapping blind holes.

Number one rule is - DON'T DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE BARREL!!!!!

Seen it done more than onct. Muzzle end- not big deal to shorten and re-do, however...
    above the chamber means a new barrel, or try to weld up and then re-cut chamber ect.

Also use the appropiate thread lock on the screws.

Go slow and have fun learning a little..

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    Generally they are drilled and tapped perpendicular to the bore. However, take a look at the holes in the sites you are using and see how they are aligned and do the same on the barrel. I assume you have a plug tap to start these as well as a bottoming tap to finish them. I really hate tapping blind holes.
    Agree, look at your parts and match that angle.

Yes, tapping blind holes sucks, especially little holes in steel with a tiny bottoming tap! Snap it off in there and you got yourself a major issue. Go slow, clean often, very often as you near the bottom of the hole with both taps.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona