Thread: 2012 Humpy year

Default 2012 Humpy year

I had been planning an un-guided float on the Alagnak this year. The thought of this being a humpy year has come up. How bad are they out there? I've been searching into the other river/creek systems in the King Salmon area. I'm looking for Rainbow and silvers at the end of August.

This will be my first time in this area. I've done lake creek twice, the Tal and Kanektok. I'm just looking for some advise on the other systems in the area.

Tony

tfish,
    It has been a while since we on the Kvichak River since we have had a huge pink run that interfered with trout fishing. That said, you never know it may be this year could be a large run. I don't know where any information on pink run info would be helpful for the Bristol Bay side. Wish I had better or more concrete info for you.

If you wish to discus our area more and what to expect email me, I would me more than happy to visit about the area I grew up in.

George

What's wrong with pinks? They're as good as, if not better than, any trout out there, IMHO. If you don't eat 'em fresh, then they great for canning. I guess I'll never understand the aversion that many fishermen have to pink salmon.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default personal fish preferences

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    What's wrong with pinks? They're as good as, if not better than, any trout out there, IMHO. If you don't eat 'em fresh, then they great for canning. I guess I'll never understand the aversion that many fishermen have to pink salmon.
    Put the pink side by side with a red, silver, or King, and I won't touch the pink. Not saying it isn't a fine fish, but a taste preference is just that, a personal preferance.

I learned something about personal preferences regarding fish (about a million years ago) when I had caught a rainbow trout and a catfish on the same day, went home, and cooked up both of them side by side. I ate all of the rainbow, and my cat ate the catfish. (We both ended up happy, but I never learned the cat's preference, since he never got any rainbow. )

i hate pink salmon meat. unless its fresh and RAW!!!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I'm with ya, when all my co-workers are cussin' i'm having the best time of my life! I actually prefer ocean or tidewater pinks to reds for smoking.

i love pinks, they make the bows FAT and whats good for bows is good for me!