Thread: proud new nils owner!

Default proud new nils owner!

I got my nils hand auger in last week and had not gotten a chance to try it out, until today. We went out today and we were all impressed to say the least. I went through ice over 24 inches thick in less than 23 seconds! This thing cuts like a hot knife through butter. It takes no down ward pressure to cut and the off set handle is amazing.
    I had a buddy bring his strike master lazer out to compare it aginst...I out did him 5 to 1 ! After that i had to hide my auger the rest of the day to keep it from disapearing..
    Sorry if sounds like im trying push my opinion off on everyone else, I am just so thrilled with it i had to share!!

Did you get it in Anchorage? If so where please?

I couldn't find one here anywhere. I ordered it through cabelas when they had their free shipping, it was here 5 days after i ordered it. I was looking for an 8 inch but went with the 6 inch because NOBODY had the 8 in stock. Cabelas said they will not have any more 8 incher's in till next season, and fish 307 showed that they had them in stock. However fish 307 had a mix up and was out as well. They told me they would have more in in 2 weeks or so.
    For what it's worth this is a hand auger that I can drill all day with out getting worn out.

I have 3 power augers with my Jiffy being best, however they are a PITA to put on the toboggan (handles are too wide) and pull into some of the snowshoe in only lakes I enjoy trying. This year especially, that would come in so handy as we are way behind the ice thickness curve due to such massive and early snow cover. We should be pushing 4 feet about now and most places I've been are 2 !!!
    Thanks for the info...enjoy the rest of the season....ulff

I like with a nils if you buy the powerhead you can swap back to the handle on the same auger if you have engine problems. Pricey units though.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

since this is my first winter here would you guys suggest getting an extension for it by next year, it's plenty long enough for all the ice i have fished this around anchorage and up by big lake.
    I will have to hold off on the power head for it. My sled is plenty heavy already considering im on foot.

Id get an extention youll need it on a normal year.

Rather have it and not need it than...well,you know.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

i seen the nils in action today....wow

Got a deal on an 8 inch Nils...gonna try it out tomorrow.

Well fill us in, where did ya find an 8 incher in stock? I looked liked crazy and couldn't find one.
    Poarch0 can attest to it being very fast and easy to drill with. I out did his power auger 2 too 1 when it was cold, a 6 inch hand auger vs a 10 inch power auger may not have been a fair race though.

A local forum member sold a new in the box 8 incher to me as he had bought a power auger. Not to sound like a paid advertisement, but OMG I cut thru 30 inches of Big Lake ice today in a lil over a minute.....I have NEVER used a hand auger like this puppy. It is exactly what I was looking for for the snowshoe or ski in lakes. Like butter. Those Fins know how to do winter!

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyfish View Post
    A local forum member sold a new in the box 8 incher to me as he had bought a power auger. Not to sound like a paid advertisement, but OMG I cut thru 30 inches of Big Lake ice today in a lil over a minute.....I have NEVER used a hand auger like this puppy. It is exactly what I was looking for for the snowshoe or ski in lakes. Like butter. Those Fins know how to do winter!
    the nils is something else, i can't believe there is that much dif between augers. If i had to do it all over again id get an 8 inch nils. i guess ill just pull this 33 pound auger around.

poarch0 if you got an 8 incher i don't think you would get quite as wet . I feel ok to say it's the best money i have spent for ice fishing!!

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    poarch0 if you got an 8 incher i don't think you would get quite as wet . I feel ok to say it's the best money i have spent for ice fishing!!
    I know the 10" inch is ridiculous, but u can see down the hole better if u can keep ur feet out of em.

I bought an 8" Nils with the Tanaka power head 2 years ago. Yes it's expensive but it is by FAR the best auger I have ever used. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for any other auger. I had to order it from JP in... (Somewhere on the east coast). He hooked me up since everyone else wanted a mint to ship it to AK. Congrats on your purchase!

BTW my personal best was 31" of ice in 17 seconds, with the power head running amsoil in it.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?