Thread: Where in Alaska are the Biggest wolves from

Default Where in Alaska are the Biggest wolves from

Over the years i have seen from time to time several very big wolf hides for sale.

The big problem is they were not exactly skinned and handled the way i Prefer them.
    Even though they were tanned skins, they all lacked some quality handling in some respect.
    That means that the ears were not turned inside out and the face was stiff. And parts of the feet were missing.

What i would like to find is a very large wolf,well over 6ft length as the skin hangs.
    Skin that is fleshed with no grease damage and that is skinned with all parts of the skin turned and fleshed so that i could tan it myself.
    Although ive retired from the tanning busness id still like to complete a skin like this for my collection.
    Perhaps there is someone that understands this request and has very very large wolves.
    If so PM or email me..
    Thanks for the help.

well over 6 ft as the skin hangs??? sorry, do you mean tip of nose to tip of tail?? i've seen a couple up here that are around 7 1/2 ft skinned and dead of course from nose to tail (i got one last year about that size). My guess would be interior wolves with good escape cover would get to be a little bigger than those up in the arctic, however we do have some that probably never see too many folks. Strangerinastrangeland likes to get quite a few wolves out of this region he might be a good one to talk to. I kinda like to keep mine.

Could just be luck, but the biggest one's I've seen and got were in the upper Koyukuk region. Been a lot years since I hunted there, like 25... but that's my thinking and experience.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    well over 6 ft as the skin hangs??? sorry, do you mean tip of nose to tip of tail?? i've seen a couple up here that are around 7 1/2 ft skinned and dead of course from nose to tail (i got one last year about that size). My guess would be interior wolves with good escape cover would get to be a little bigger than those up in the arctic, however we do have some that probably never see too many folks. Strangerinastrangeland likes to get quite a few wolves out of this region he might be a good one to talk to. I kinda like to keep mine.
    You are right on, nose to tip of tail. I was thinking about 8 feet, but thought probably some folks would think i was a little crazy with that size.
    Id be intereste in a realy big wolf if any of you get one and dont mind skinning it the way i spoke of.
    Or if your in Fairbanks id skin it myself if it were that large a wolf
    Color isnt an issue. Just realy prime hide thats fairly fresh and probably frozen i would hope.
    Anyway, please keep me in mind.
    Thanks

How do you want it skinned? The wife, she does so Eskimo style, open belly, as thats how the start their cuts.
    You want them cased? Turned ears, thats easy enough, and flesh'd nose and all paws/claws.
    The arctic has Big Wolves because of the available foods, as this is rich country, and they live among the 375,000 Caribou in the WACH herd.
    My largest was far longer than 8 feet and I had to tie his head into the sled before I could get the rest of his heavy, floppy body onto the sled.
    Whats a good price?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Here's a pretty good sized wolf from Lake Iliamna!