Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Bear Hunt?

Default Early Bear Hunt?

I know it will be a little early but were would you head for black bears at the middle to late April Valdez way or Seward way we always head down from the interior in mid may but due to time restraints this is what i have to work with. Have a solid week to walk the mountain side. Thanks for the Help

It will be interesting this year with all the snow fall. Normal years you hear of people talking about early risers in early April in places with the majority coming out beginning of May on. There is WAY more snow than normal so I wouldn't be surprised that they come out later. I'm worried about the deer population in the sound also. More knowledgeable people will chime in I'm sure, and I look forward to their input...

AZinAK

ya i seen a few pictures from Thompson Pass very impressive. Maybe just go north and meat hunt for caribou instead?

If bear is your preference, why not grizzly bears somewhere between North Pole and Valdez? Long days on sunlit snow, getting a tan while glassing mountainsides...sounds nice to me. Caribou up north would be fun as well, though.

Thats why i love Alaska so much, there is so much to do. My buddy brought that up too we tried it two years ago just seen tracks then came home waited a few weeks then went to valdez, thanks Brian for the input that will be put on the list of ideas on were to go. That is on the top of my list catch one coming out of the den.

They start popping out at earliest in mid April around us. I'm sure I'll be corrected, but my experience is, more snow, they come out earlier because the den's are more likely to be flooded. Also, with all the very early snow we had in our area, they may be denned in just snow, and not dug in, which should mean they come out early.

Anyhow, that's my .02. I'm really looking forward to this spring cause the snow is going to be around a LONG time, probably into June easily.

To answer your question, I would head to Valdez for blacks that early. If I had a solid week, I'd go after brownies in the interior.

Good luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I love the heavy snow years out on PWS. Bears come out about the same time each year. It revolves around the photo period. High snow years keep them near the beach longer.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I love the heavy snow years out on PWS. Bears come out about the same time each year. It revolves around the photo period. High snow years keep them near the beach longer.
    That makes sense. Low tide trolling would be the ticket. Going to be interesting.

AZinAK

I had no clue that snow fall would play that big of a role thanks for the input. It will be a good year to learn new things about bears.

whats the earliest you have killed blackies on spot and stalk?

End of May for me, but I'm far from being the experienced bear hunter on here. Mine was more of a spot and shoot. Early to mid April some years I've heard if my memory serves me right. This being spot and stalk on the beaches that is. Mountain side spot and stalk will be dependent on available vegetation which obviously correlates with snow melt. Good luck.

AZinAK

well wether there out or not ill take a comfy chair and good boots and have a good time anyways

What about Cordova in mid to late April?

better be bringing your snowshoes wherever you go

Ya there already strapped to the pack.

Do you think the weather this winter will have an effect on the timing of black bears coming out?

Reading some other threads and this one, seems like it goes either way there out early or late not much in between. Just wish there was more about bear hunting Haines area.

So me and two buddies ended up going out of Seward on a two day hunt off a boat. I shot a smaller sow but friends were not able to connect , we had a great trip good memories we went out 28th and 29th of April. Didnt see a bunch of bears but found some. Hardest i have worked for and animal but worth every moment. While glassing we caught some halibut and saw a bunch of goats.

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    So me and two buddies ended up going out of Seward on a two day hunt off a boat. I shot a smaller sow but friends were not able to connect , we had a great trip good memories we went out 28th and 29th of April. Didnt see a bunch of bears but found some. Hardest i have worked for and animal but worth every moment. While glassing we caught some halibut and saw a bunch of goats.

So where are the pictures to share?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Pictures would be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast