Thread: moose hunt gmu 12

Default moose hunt gmu 12

A buddy and me are flying out of tok on 9/7/12 with 40 mile air for a drop moose hunt in gmu12 on north pass lake for most of the season, anybody hunt that area, or does anyone know anything about the area, also we'll using 40 mile for caribou flying out on the 8/27, i've read everything good about 40 mile, as far as being safe flying and being placed. I cannot find north pass lake on the map,anybody give any details, like the size if there is fish to try and catch, and what kind , planning on taking some fishing gear, just don't know what kind, expecially lures. We going to drive from penna, so we'll planning on it taking a good month.

I do not know anything about the area you plan to hunt, but I do have a question in case you have not considered it. Do you have a plan for meat care if/when you are successful ?

Take a Sat phone. 40 Mile will swoop in and take your meat back to base where they have a cooler and freezer. In my experience, and that of many others, 40 Mile will put you in a place where there are moose. All the info you get off this forum won't help much since your plan will change as soon as you hit the ground. Find a high spot and glass for bulls. If there is no high spot to work with, find a swamp or meadow with a good view and start calling. A lake big enough for 40 Mile to land on will have grayling. Bring a selection of small spinners and a spin rod. If you like fly fishing then a small flyrod with a selection of small dry flies will work too.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Take a Sat phone. 40 Mile will swoop in and take your meat back to base where they have a cooler and freezer. In my experience, and that of many others, 40 Mile will put you in a place where there are moose. All the info you get off this forum won't help much since your plan will change as soon as you hit the ground. Find a high spot and glass for bulls. If there is no high spot to work with, find a swamp or meadow with a good view and start calling. A lake big enough for 40 Mile to land on will have grayling. Bring a selection of small spinners and a spin rod. If you like fly fishing then a small flyrod with a selection of small dry flies will work too.
    Thanks for both replies, looking forward to the trip, both of us are in pretty good condition , hopefully that isn't a problem.

My guess is that "North Pass Lake" is a name that is used only by 40 Mile Air to designate a landing/hunting area and will not be found on a map. I guess further that if they told you (the actual location) where they would fly you (for your moose hunt), knowing you would blab the location on an open forum (largely made up of moose hunters), they wouldn't enjoy the reputation they have for producing game for their clients. Not trying to be mean spirited, just stating the facts of life.

Default very possible

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    My guess is that "North Pass Lake" is a name that is used only by 40 Mile Air to designate a landing/hunting area and will not be found on a map. I guess further that if they told you (the actual location) where they would fly you (for your moose hunt), knowing you would blab the location on an open forum (largely made up of moose hunters), they wouldn't enjoy the reputation they have for producing game for their clients. Not trying to be mean spirited, just stating the facts of life.
    Never though of that, but that could very well be, you mean guys like me, ha-ha . the only reason i mentioned it is because i'm looking forward to the trip , and trying to learn every i can, seeing this is a first time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rayruner View Post
    Never though of that, but that could very well be, you mean guys like me, ha-ha . the only reason i mentioned it is because i'm looking forward to the trip , and trying to learn every i can, seeing this is a first time for me.
    I understand completely. I know how I felt the year before my first moose hunt.
    Read all you can find about early season moose hunting. It is generally thought that bulls don't start responding to calls until around September 11 or 12. Lots of us still use them, early - spareingly - espically light brush thrashing. On a drop hunt be aware of how far you'll have to pack the bugger, before you pull the trigger. Good luck on your hunt.

I have found moose usually become very receptive to calls around the 20th. It could be a bit earlier up there if the weather is cooler. Take some moose scent with you- it works. Be patient.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I have found moose usually become very receptive to calls around the 20th. It could be a bit earlier up there if the weather is cooler. Take some moose scent with you- it works. Be patient.
    Might want to check the new regs, I read that urine will NO longer be allowed for use because of disease spreading.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I can probably guess where the lake is. They do a good job of spreading out hunters. For the most part in unit 12, moose start becoming vocal around the 11th/12th. Depends on weather. If it stays warm, it will be later. If you want to know what kind of fish are in there, just call Leif at 40 mile and ask. I would guess there could be pike, but then again, there could be nothing. Good luck.