Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 articcat 500

Default 2006 articcat 500

instrument panel turn off and on while runnig,lights stay on

What is the status of your battery? The wifes 05 started having 'issues' and they went away when I replaced the battery.

The instrument panels on these bikes are problematic. I have replaced mine twice on my '06 500, and one on my '07 400. There is a plug-in in the back. Take it off and clean it with electrical cleaner. That might help.

Mine did that to me this summer, the wiring harness under the gas tank was damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    Mine did that to me this summer, the wiring harness under the gas tank was damaged.
    checked that OK

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The instrument panels on these bikes are problematic. I have replaced mine twice on my '06 500, and one on my '07 400. There is a plug-in in the back. Take it off and clean it with electrical cleaner. That might help.
    cleaned no change

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    What is the status of your battery? The wifes 05 started having 'issues' and they went away when I replaced the battery.
    checked that OK

Then it's the actual digital unit. Piles of them fail.

They arent cheap either!

If it is the control panel, it looks like they are about $312 plus change. Guess that I need to watch the ones on our two machines.

ok had this issues on 4 of are Ac 700's 550 and 650 Unplug connector Fill with di electric greese and plug it back in. fixed all 4 of ours

Many people report that you can pulls the battery cables off and yank the 30 amp fuse over night to fix this most of the time. One thing that historically kills them is jump starting especially from a running car/truck. Mine died after being charged with a trickle charger which may be coincidence but in the future I will pull the 30 amp fuse when storing with a charger or doing any jump starting. Mine appears to be toast and frankly the component is garbage. It makes me a little sad that Cat would not even at least update the design and offer it as an upgrade we could buy to replace the old one when it fails. I hate the thought of purchasing the same junk part at that hefty price!!

I'll try that dielectric trick, then LuJon's trick because I've just given up on mine.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

{{Many people report that you can pulls the battery cables off and yank the 30 amp fuse over night to fix this most of the time.}}

I can understand removing the battery cable. Removing the 30 amp fuse make no sense because it go to the starter. What might work faster is to remove the (+) battery cable and short it to ground. If the computer is using a memory capacitor to keep voltage on the memory circuit, this will discharge it faster instead of waiting over night.

{{One thing that historically kills them is jump starting especially from a running car/truck. Mine died after being charged with a trickle charger which may be coincidence but in the future I will pull the 30 amp fuse when storing with a charger or doing any jump starting.}}

There is no difference between the voltage from a running car/truck than a atv. It is best to not use a running vehicle because if you switch the jumper cables you could destroy the alternator on the car/truck.

A battery act like a capacitor and filter out any spike if it not dead, would adding a capacitor solve the problem of jump starting the atv? Or is the problem two high of a voltage? There are electronic circuit that would prevent any over voltage protecting the computer.

Will my recommendations fix the problem, I have know idea it still does not make sense to me, why jumping or adding a charger would cause a problem, then it not a problem with any other vehicle.

Lujon, if you or anyone else is/has replace the computer can I have the old one, to play with.

I don't claim to know the electrical circuit diagram for the Cats. I do know that the 30 amp fuse kills the gauge when it it pulled. A 60+ amp alternator charging a car battery is not the same as a magneto charging a small ATV battery.

I agree they are not the same, it does not matter what the method of producing the battery voltage is or how much the alternator put out in current the atv will only draw what it need as long as it between 12.6 and 14.5v.

I'm not saying it not happening; I just don't understand why it happening.

I can say with certainty that jumping an AC500 ATV or 4-Stroke snowmachine from a running truck will fry their electrical system. Seen it too many times now. It's all about the amperage and wire size. Just because you have the cables hooked to the + and - posts of the ATV battery doesn't mean the battery will filter anything since the current is free to flow through the very small wires in the ATV system.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've got an '07 400, and I'm having the same issue. Back light on the display works, but no actual display. I suspect LuJon is onto something with the trickle charger. I put one on mine last winter, and the last time I fired it up for plowing I had no display. I've checked the connectors and wiring. They appear fine. I'm going to try the dielectric grease thing today. If that doesn't work guess I'm going to give Northern Power Sports a call this week and see what it is going to set me back to get a new control panel will set me back.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

This works on the '06 + up models..... I was told

Your fuse(s) are under the seat by the battery (I think). IF you find it - pull the 30amp accessory fuse. THEN remove the battery cables. Wait 5 min. Re-connect the battery and put the fuse back in.

You need to "wipe" the ECM memory to re-set the pod display. This method seems to solve most blank pod problems. If not - check your wiring harness up under the pod to ensure it plugged in to the gauge, and while your at it check ALL your wires running up the front of the handlebars/steering post for any wire chafe'n.

Hope this helps....good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I've got an '07 400, and I'm having the same issue. Back light on the display works, but no actual display. I suspect LuJon is onto something with the trickle charger. I put one on mine last winter, and the last time I fired it up for plowing I had no display. I've checked the connectors and wiring. They appear fine. I'm going to try the dielectric grease thing today. If that doesn't work guess I'm going to give Northern Power Sports a call this week and see what it is going to set me back to get a new control panel will set me back.
    Maybe we can get a list of folks together and see if someone can cut us a deal on a bulk order...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast