Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You are KING of Alaska Hunting Regs for a day. What 3 things do you do?

Default You are KING of Alaska Hunting Regs for a day. What 3 things do you do?

I see a lot of different opinions out there of what folks think needs be done regarding hunting and wildlife management up here, so if you had a day you could implent three things immediately, what would they be?

My three: (not in any particular order)

1) Open up the haul road with 1/2 mile either side restriction. This is a 10 mile wide, 800 mile long preserve that we don't need.

2) Allow baiting of grizzlies in predator control area's, and other area's as long as you have a legal tag.

3) Remove the subsistance/tier 1 for Nelchina caribou and have it go random draw for all people, resident or not.

Bonus Rule: Allow Claude Bondy a TMA Sheep tag every year, with a private hunting area of his choosing.

I'll be curious to see what others put down. Don't beat me up about my choices. It's just one man's opinion.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I like your choices but i would alter them a bit:

1) Reduce the haul road corridor to 1.5 miles each side.

2) unchanged

3) GMU 13 caribou draw only, resident only, non-consecutive draw moratorium of 2 years.

Things slow up there on the Slope?

I may be one of the few that is pretty happy how things are handled at the moment.

1.) eliminate "must be guided" regulations for non-res
    2.) cap non-res hunters at no more than 10%.
    3.) double resident license fees and add a $10 per tag charge, triple non-res license and quadruple non-res tags for sheep and goat.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

I may be one of the few that is pretty happy how things are handled at the moment.
    First Post!! I agree with Doug. I'm just happy to finally be stationed in Alaska and to have the opportunity to hunt here. I understand where you are coming from, but where else in the world do you have a opportunity to hunt such a wide variety of big game?

Also I wanted to say thanks to all of you. My first year hunting in '10 was a crash course. Legal moose bout 20 feet away from me, I didn't know what AK considered a brow tine, nor did I want to guess 50 inches. After being referred to this website, I've learned enough to keep myself out of trouble. Great information from a group of great guys! Thanks again!

AKCowboy

Welcome Cowboy and congrats on your first post! You are right on, we do have a lot of opportunities up here, more than anywhere else. Good deal on your crash course in your first year. Sounds like you did the right thing by not 'pullin' til ya know'.

Doug, definitely not slow up here! Everything is pretty much shut down because of the cold, so it gives time for the guys to think of ways to request money, so keeps me busy! This is my sanity helper thread. heh heh!

I'll play.....
    1.Allow aerial predator shooting again to anyone with a plane and the balls to do it like they had in the past when Slim Moore was a guide.
    2.Allow Grizzly baiting just like we do with black bears.
    3.Put everyone on a level playing field when it comes to regulations regardless of where you live or if you have “native” blood or not.

BK

1) charge something for tags.... most tags are free just think how much money you could have for improvements and research if you just charged 20 bucks for some of these registration tags. I pretty much would have no problems paying in order to enhance the quality of the hunting and how it's managed.
    2) even up hunting regulations with trapping regulations. i mean come on, really?! you can shoot one wolverine and two lynx but you can trap 200 of them wheres the logic in that?
    3) make guides have one area to hunt and keep them from traveling all over the place, using up the resources with little care for a particular area because once it's wiped out they can just move (not all guides do this but we all know some do).

i also respectfully disagree with bkmail on the level playing field about where you live. it ridiculous to ask someone in a remote fly in area to not be able to hunt within a hundred miles of their home to get meat so some trophy hunter from out of the area with money can shoot said animals instead. If you say anchorage area people need subsistience hunting too, which some probably do. Then it's hard to rationalize paying a couple thousand bucks to go hunting when you can probably afford cheaper meat at the store.

I'm sure we will 'respectfully' disagree with some of the respones. It's okay that we all don't agree. Just looking to see what other folks are thinking. If we all thought the same, it would sure be a boring world, and there wouldn't even be a need for a forum, since we all would know what everyone thinks! I like your idea on point #1, cjustinm.

#1the fee increase on non res.#2 close 13 for all caribou for 5 years.#3 harvest requirement 1 predator prior to harvest of each prey species.

No hunting more than a hundred miles from home.
    4X non res fees and tags.
    No license needed for residents but dividend checks go to F&G
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Cjustinm,
    Please explain the 100 miles of traveling before shooting anything. Not sure what you are referring to there. I was thinking more along the lines allowing everyone in the state to follow the same regulations. Meaning we all can shoot sea otters, or harvest spring ducks, have potluck moose hunts, OR nobody can, ie….level playing field for all. That’s all!
    Again, it’s my “wish list” that I would do as Claude says if I were king for a day!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    No hunting more than a hundred miles from home.
    Good Idea, but only for Skankorage-ites and Valley Trash I'm happy with everything else.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I hear alot of people saying raise nonresident tag fees. I think in units where they are trying to reduce grizzly/brown bear populations maybe they should lower tag fees for non-res to encourage the taking of them. A few years ago when I went hunting in Idaho there were certain units had reduced nonresident tags fees for black bear and mtn. lion.

On that note, remove the guide requirement for NR's to take bears in areas that need a reduction in bear populations.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    On that note, remove the guide requirement for NR's to take bears in areas that need a reduction in bear populations.
    +1!
    we would see more non-res brown bear hunters then we would know what to do with if we dropped the "must be guided", and there would be no reason to drop the tag fee, 'cause they would be saving 8k on the guide already!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Boy, it would take some heavy thought, and my haid is hurtin already.

Things that come to mind.....

Eliminate the Sealing requirements for bears, and make it just a report on paper, choice of hide or meat, and allow baiting for Brown Bears.

Do away with subsistence in Unit 13, and other areas that are accessible from the road system.

Do away with ANY regulations that smacks of a Rural Preference. I agree with bkmail. "….level playing field for all. That’s all!".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Eliminate all aircraft use, make it a "Level playing field for all" since most do not own aircraft.

Hunt on the ground, and everyone has to hunt within 100 miles of their residence.

No religious/superstitious people either, as they are not my religion, so its not equal and they must be eliminated.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

LMAO Stranger...better let those Muskox alone from now on

No snowmachines either since many folks don't own one.

1. Give out one "super tag" to one lucky resident that allows him/her to hunt sheep, goats, bears, moose, caribou, buffalo, muskox in any area they choose during any open season.
    2. Award 10 drawing permits for brown bears to be shot over bait on the Kenai by residents.
    3. Turn Nelchina caribou to a draw hunt for youth ages 10 - 18.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast