Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheep pics

Default sheep pics

Sorry if that was decieving but I am wondering if anyone has some sheep pics that they could share.

I am going hunting this fall and am trying to learn to judge a sheeps horn length and size now. However, I can not go look at any sheep so I figured some pics may be my best bet..

I have Duncan Gilhcrest video on field judging and it is a great tool.
    It would really be great if I could get some pics and the length of the horns as well!!!!

Thanks to everyone that sends some.

Plentycoupe
    jason.christianson@us.army.mil

Do you just want them sent to your e-mail, or posted on here? I've got digital shots of 3 of the 4 rams I've taken, along with another that I observed that would be really good for the legal/non-legal discussion. Let me know!

-Brian

please post them here. i would love to see them also.
    thanks

Smile Ram

He ain't no record breaker but he's legal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Can Someone do better than that

That is a nice Ram and thanks for showing it off. However, I think even the most novice hunter could tell you right away that that one is legal. I don't have any pics myself since all the mounts in my family are scattered around lower 48. If someone can post a few pictures from a side view of their Ram and post. That is where we can make Jason some money (full 360 degree).

Jason,
    If anything, I know the Anchorage ADFG office has about 4 to 5 static display rams that you can hold and view to determine if they are legal. After choosing, look at the back side of the plaque and it will tell you if you were right or wrong. Be cautious in the field, I've seen some 7/8ths curls that I thought should have been legal but ADFG determined otherwise. Another idea is to take a few days to visit the local taxidermists and look at what they have hanging around. I'm sure most would be happy to give you a few minutes of their time.

Good Luck.

Here are a couple different angles of my ram. I studied him for over 15 minutes at 150 yards with my spotting scope on 40 power. I was pretty sure he was at least 8 years old but wasn't sure if he made full-curl. He has a wide flare so its very difficult to tell. He was with a couple other rams and one was a definite shooter with at least 2" over full. This guy had a lot more mass though and I love the wide horns. He ended up being 37" with 14" bases. F&G aged him at 9.5 and the first guy said he wasn't full-curl then one of the bios walked out of his office and said nice full-curl so he changed his mind and put down that it was full.
    Front view

Side view

Another side view

Hope that helps a little and good luck on your hunt.

OK - I'm trying to post a photo for the first time, so please bear with me.

Here are two views of the same ram.

I saw this sheep from about 1.5 miles away, stalked to within approximately 400 yards, laid down, and let the sheep feed to within about 225 yards from me. I watched this sheep for about two hours, but decided not to shoot.

I shot these photos by holding the lens of my digital camera to the eyepiece of a Bushnell Spacemaster spotting scope, which I've since upgraded.

Tom

Tom L, even though there isn't a good side view, I think you made the right decision.

Yeah, I was pretty sure he wasn't full curl, and didn't feel at all confident trying to count rings, as I've tried it on a few sets of horns I've had in hand and found that difficult.

Default A few pics

Alright, here are a few for you. I've got a couple more, but can't seem to find them right now.

This first one is of a sheep that walked by me when I was out on a hike in July. He doesn't look legal to me, but is a classic example of one that's almost there - close enough that you sit and watch for a while just waiting for the horn to grow.

This next one was my most recent sheep. Two angles here, and it seems quite different depending on the view.

Default One more...

This is a classic example of how angle and side of head makes all the difference. From this picture this sheep looks questionable, but he was sealed as full curl by F&G, no questions asked. His other horn is a little longer, but even the side in view just makes it when viewed from the side.

Good luck with your hunt planning...let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

-Brian

Thumbs up Awesome photos Brian

Thanks for the photo sharing. In that last photo you can count rings pretty easy, probably not so well in the field though. Looks like you had a good lookin packer to help on one hunt as well!

Default If that ram isn't full curl just shoot me!

For any so-called professional to suggest that your ram wasn't full curl is assinine beyond my comprehension! Nice ram.

Sincerely,
    Tony Dingess
    Revelation Mountain Outfitters
    220 Fowler Branch
    Harts, WV 25524
    304-855-9301
    www.alaskahunts.net
    www.dall-sheep-hunts.com
    www.brown-bear-hunts.com
    Alaska Registered Guide #1043
    e-mail, tony@alaskahunts.net

Boss - Yeah, that was my wife's first sheep hunt. 80 degree temps, and success on a nice ram - she's hooked now! My wife can't wait for our next sheep hunt...yes, I am a lucky man indeed.

-Brian

Default Lucky Man

Nice sheep and it's awesome that you and your wife can enjoy time in the field.

Terry

Tony,
    I assume your talking about my ram since I stated there was an issue with it. I was pretty surprised that he said it wasn't full-curl and got a heck of a lump in my throat. Then he started counting rings and said it was 9.5 so it was legal (my taxidermist says its 10.5). Once I knew it was legal I calmed down a little and tried to explain to him the fault in his way of judging full-curl. If you look at the first picture you can see how the left horn is a bit lower than the right horn (the ram's right, left side of the picture). Well he was using a "shelf bracket" as a straight line, but it was only about 18" long, the tip to tip spread on that ram is a little over 27"s. So he'd put it level across the bases, which again the left one was a bit lower than the right one also, and check the left horn. You could see the bracket was not level as far as the eye sockets go but he'd slide it out to the tip and it wouldn't touch, about a half inch shy. Then he'd go to the right side and the bracket would be pointed up at a higher angle and miss by about a half inch. I told him he needed a yard stick because you could see that the straight line, if extended, would make him legal by probably an inch. He disagreed stating this is how they were instructed to do it, but I told him in effect he was making "V" with the bracket so it wasn't a "straight" line. About that time the bio came out of his office and was looking at the right horn from a few feet away and it was obviously full-curl. So he had the other guy come and view it from that angle. They talked about it for a bit and decided that if it looks full curl from the side then it should be full-curl, since that is what the hunter would see in the field. It was an interesting discussion and since the ram already had a green tag attached it wasn't like I was going to lose the horns either way. I hope it did help in future decisions they made and maybe someone was able to get a borderline legal ram registered that would have otherwise not have been. From reading these boards I later came to the conclusion that this particular registration station was probably one of the hardest to get a green tag at.
    I assume in a couple years they will have a decent system in place to determine full-curl, but as with most things there is always a period of time where things are a little gray for all involved.
    Best of luck to all those lucky enough to hunt them this fall.

Default The Nightmare Continues

Thanks for digging out the photos and sharing! I like the recap of the discussions you heard during the sealing process. It goes to show once again that there is NO standard of measure. I find it sad that biologists can't agree with the horns sitting in front of them on a table. Your suppose to do the same thing at a distance.
    I wonder if anyone from Fish & Game monitors this Forum and reads what is being said. Maybe they could take a few pointers back to the office and get their act together.
    Like I say, the nightmare continues. But thanks again for the great photos.

Quote Originally Posted by bizymocha
    Thanks for digging out the photos and sharing! I like the recap of the discussions you heard during the sealing process. It goes to show once again that there is NO standard of measure. I find it sad that biologists can't agree with the horns sitting in front of them on a table. Your suppose to do the same thing at a distance.
    I wonder if anyone from Fish & Game monitors this Forum and reads what is being said. Maybe they could take a few pointers back to the office and get their act together.
    Like I say, the nightmare continues. But thanks again for the great photos.
    They shouldn't have to require sheep to be sealed until they learn how to properly seal a sheep in the first place. It's funny how there can be two biologists in the same office and each one telling you different on whether your sheep is legal or not.

Default Thanks

Hey everyone thanks for the pics. They are great. I am hoping to have one with my wife as well as she will be my hunting partner on my upcoming hunt.

CapT thanks for the info. When I get back to the states I will definetly go by there office and have a look.

Thanks again and keep em coming!!

This is my first dall sheep taken last labor day weekend. He aint the biggest..well actually all these other rams could probably eat it him for dinner but its pretty much as close as you can get to a full curl...ADF&G aged him at 6yrs both curls were only 30in. The one side does not look full because of the angle but the other is just barely touching

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast