Thread: Forbes rifles available soon

Default Forbes rifles available soon

Hey y'all:

Just wanted to let you know I heard from Forbes Rifle today and the first rifles will be hitting the shelves in March. The first calibers will be .270 and 30-06, followed with 25-06, .280, and .35 Whelen. The smaller action (like the 7mm-08 I want) will be available spring of 2013. If interested, they want an FFl to send them the paperwork with how many rifles, etc.

This may be old news to some of you but thought I would share.
    BEE

what will the cost be ?

Manufacturer: Forbes Rifle LLC; (207) 899-3254; www.forbesriflellc.com
    Caliber: .270 Win., .30-’06 Sprg. (tested)
    Action Type: bolt-action, center-fire rifle
    Receiver: chrome moly steel
    Barrel: 24"; chrome moly steel
    Rifling: 1:10" RH twist
    Magazine: internal, three-round staggered-column
    Sights: none; drilled and tapped for scope bases
    Trigger: Timney single-stage; 2-lb., 9-oz. pull
    Stock: carbon-fiber-reinforced Kevlar: length of pull, 131⁄2"; drop at comb, 5/8"; drop at heel, 3/8"
    Overall Length: 425⁄8"
    Weight: 5 lbs., 4 ozs.
    Accessories: case, Talley scope bases/rings, safety lock, instruction manual
    Suggested Retail Price: $1,400

not "cheap" by any means but I will bet on the accuracy ! Do you know how much more for SS ? or is that even an option at this point ?

I'm holding out for the short-length action. Lookin' for a super light 7-08

So is it a new Ultra Light or something different?

I have a feeling that this will be lighter than the new Kimber Mountain Ascent in 30-06. It would explain why Kimber only released the weight of the short action at shot show.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    So is it a new Ultra Light or something different?
    My understanding is that it is a rifle designed by Forbes produced with help from other manufacturers. If the MSRP is $1400 that should put the street price closer to $1200 and in that case it'd be a whole lot of rifle for not much IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'm interested to see how they compare to the NULA rifles. Half as good will still be worth it.

I agree Jon. I bet the short action comes in just under 5 lbs. Too bad it's so tough to get a WSSM to feed reliably. You could make an even shorter action -26F and I've got nothing to do but daydream. I'm thinking of selling off a couple rifles so I can order a DTech AR upper in 7mm/.25 WSSM to play with.

I went to the SHOT show in Vegas two weeks ago, and the skinny on this rifle is; Melvin Forbes told me he has always wanted a production version of his rifle, but Colt Fuc*ed it up when they were sold the patent. So he bought it back from them, changed his custom deal to New Ultra Lite Arms (NULA) and started making rifles again.

This new Forbes Rifle company is part II of the production thing. This was one of the main reasons I went to SHOT this year is to talk to him and this new company (their boths were right next to each other) and to view Kimber's new line of 84L's etc. The new Forbes Rifles action (chrome molly only) is built to the same dimensions as his model 24 actions (long action standard calibers). The barrels the Forbes company is using are Shaw rifle barrels (they originally used a company called "Bulldog" but one of the gunsmiths/engineers from Forbes said they had horrible QC so Shaw barrels is who they chose). Shaw is nothing close to a Lilja or Krieger, but they are way ahead of production rifle barrel standards including Kimber. The stock is the exact same stock NULA uses (Melvin Forbes design and manufacture), but unlike NULA choice of colors, you can only get a Forbes Rifle in black. The triggers are Timney just like NULA rifles.

Bottom line, this new "production" NULA rifle made by Forbes rifle company was real close to the custom NULA except for the premium barrel (Douglas on NULA), and choice of stock length/color.

The guys from Forbes Rifles said these will be about $1100 DEALER Cost.

I have been building custom Colt Light Rifles for about 3 years now (using just a Colt Light rifle action/bolt, Lilja barrel, Jewel trigger, my own recoil lug design and High Tech stock) and I was very impressed with this Forbes Rifle. It should sell very well to the light rifle crowd. I still prefer the Kimber 84L's for it's action/stock for my custom rifle builds, but I would bet that this Forbes Rifle will out shoot a stock Kimber 84L with both handloads and factory ammo.

Anyway thought you all would like to know what I was told from the factory engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have a feeling that this will be lighter than the new Kimber Mountain Ascent in 30-06. It would explain why Kimber only released the weight of the short action at shot show.
    The 84L Mountain Ascent in 280AI is 5lbs 5 oz. I give it to Kimber for thinking outside of the box when trying to radically shave a few oz's off their 84's and 84L's but I would have chose a different route. The fluting is rather deep but only has 4 grooves and it stops at the stock forend (about 7" total). I feel they could have easily and safely put 6 flutes on it, not as deep or wide, and pushed it to a conventional length (about 3") from the crown. The stock color in my opinion is a little off (I like it on Sitka clothing but it did not belong on a rifle stock IMO). They did go a good route on the trigger guard. Instead of the heavy SS trigger guard (which is the exact same on ALL Montana models 84, 84L 8400) they have it milled from aluminum (so they say). I started doing this 7 years ago when building ultra light weight 84 Montanas. It saves 3oz right from the get go going with aluminum. It just costed me $400 for the first one to be milled (subsequent others have been a lot cheaper though).

The skeletonization of the bolt handle was a little weird feeling, I made mine again out of aluminum with a steel screw insert. I never tried doing any milling on the actual bolt body, to much time/money for a very little gain (on Kimber 84's that is), but at the factory I am sure it is not as much.

They told me the rifle was SS, but the coating on it again IMO could have been left off or changed colors. It looks more like it was painted on with a can of krylon grey paint.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    not "cheap" by any means but I will bet on the accuracy ! Do you know how much more for SS ? or is that even an option at this point ?
    Back country:

I do not know any more than what I posted on what/when they will be out per management from Forbes, and what I have read.
    I am wanting a 7mm-08 and if it was in SS I would prefer it but I sure wouldn't turn down a blued one if they are as nice as I have read. Looking at sub MOA (5/8th") and well thought out.

It sounds like sheephunter is much more 'in the know' than I am- I was just excited to hear they will be out soon and wanted to share the information.
    BEE

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    I'm interested to see how they compare to the NULA rifles. Half as good will still be worth it.
    Tenmm:

From the Keefe report:
    Forbes designed all the components and makes all of them for the NULA Rifles. But he sought out companies he trusts to fabricate the lock and barrel, but not the stock, on Forbes Rifles. “If I’m going to make a lot of them, Mark, I just can’t do it all myself,” he said.

A firm in Westbrook, Maine, which does a lot of defense work, including some for Colt, is building the Forbes Rifles actions. “Those guys do a good job with metal, and I trust them to do it right.” Not only does Mel trust them to make his petit action, but the company will be assembling the rifles for him, too.

For the barrel, Mel chose Bulldog. “The bore looks rough as a cob,” Melvin told me on the phone. “But it’s a shooter, about five-eighths at 100 for three shots.” In case you hadn’t noticed, Mel is a bit of a perfectionist. “I’ll keep on them,”

This first sample has a single-stage Timney trigger that is crisp and suitably light with a two-position thumb safety on the right, but eventually Melvin’s own Model 24 design will be incorporated. The aluminum scope rigs are clearly marked “Talley,” but are still Melvin’s. “I sold that design to them years ago, but they do a good job of it.”

The stock is, of course, pure Ultra Light Arms, which means its lightweight, ergonomically superlative and painted in a gray-and-black mottled finish. The stocks are built by Melvin and his crew in Morgantown. This new rifle is a delight to point and comes up naturally just like a NULA. With its seemingly light, straight-combed stock and lack of a swell at it pistol grip, it points like a rifle should.

Based on all of the information in this thread, the price seems to good to be true.
    NRA Life Member since 1974