Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: tapping for sights and barrel cutting prices

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default tapping for sights and barrel cutting prices

    what should I expect to pay to have open sights put on a rifle with out them, and how much would it cost to have a barrel cut down 4 inches or so?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  2. #2
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    what should I expect to pay to have open sights put on a rifle with out them, and how much would it cost to have a barrel cut down 4 inches or so?
    Best answer is going to come from the horse's mouth. I've used gunbugs & The Kid for several projects and will use either or both of them again, gunbugs has a rifle right now as a matter of fact. Normally you can expect $15-20 a hole for drilling and tapping, and crowning will probably be another $60-100 depending...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Holy smokes I actually got a reply! Lol, are they gun smiths? I will send them PM's
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  4. #4
    Member Kotton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage ak
    Posts
    652

    Default

    They cut my muzzle break of my ruger #1 and crowned it and ran $100 bucks.Can't be more happier with WWG, great people.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    They cut my muzzle break of my ruger #1 and crowned it and ran $100 bucks.Can't be more happier with WWG, great people.
    who is they? is "the kid" and "gun bugs" one company?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    who is they? is "the kid" and "gun bugs" one company?
    Nope, "the kid", and "gunbugs" are two different individuals. Gunbugs is a gunsmith in Fairbanks. Not sure where the kid is located. And Kotton was referring to Wild West Guns, a shop down your way.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  7. #7
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    The "kid" is at WWG

  8. #8
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    who is they? is "the kid" and "gun bugs" one company?
    They are both gunsmiths and they post quite often in this section. Send them a PM or an email, either one should be able to mount your sights and shorten and recrown your rifle.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  9. #9
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    What are ya up to, what are we workin on? Iím wondering why the gun has no sights and evidently no mountings for them, was it made for a scope so never had sights? If so iron sights may not be the best way to go with it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    its for a H&r 45 colt I am considering buying next summer (as with about 20 other guns, right?) also if its cheap probably do it to pops's H&R 30-06. the barrel cut would be on a mosin, but if its gonna cost more than I payed for the gun its a nogo
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  11. #11
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Fur,

    Confused some... the H & R 45 Colt should come with sights... as to the 30-06 it should run about $75 to $125. As to cutting a barrel, that's usaully just shop rate of about one hour ($50 to ?) - unless needing to move front sight. On the mosin it will probably be slightly higher due to front sight and unknown barrel hardness. (Seen some reasonable, some very hard, some seemed 'soft')

    Hope that helps.

    Chris

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Petersburg, Ak
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Related question for any of the gunsmiths or experienced shooters...
    How much would removing 2-3" off the barrel of a 30-06 change it's downrage velocity/energy performance? Would the performance suffer a lot or just slightly? I would really like to come up with a shorter rifle for this brushy country down here in SE. Realistic shooting distances are almost always less than 200yd so the 4/500 yd performance loss wouldn't be a big issue.

    Thanks.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

  13. #13
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    983

    Default

    rough estimate is you might lose about 100 FPS per inch you remove. Interesting, I saw one 30-06 that gained 75-100 FPS in a 2 1/5 inch reduction. But that was a once in a lifetime so far.

    The 30-06 is still a good cartidge down to 18 - 20 inches of barrel for most hunting in my opinion.

    Chris

  14. #14
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    Related question for any of the gunsmiths or experienced shooters...
    How much would removing 2-3" off the barrel of a 30-06 change it's downrage velocity/energy performance? Would the performance suffer a lot or just slightly? I would really like to come up with a shorter rifle for this brushy country down here in SE. Realistic shooting distances are almost always less than 200yd so the 4/500 yd performance loss wouldn't be a big issue.

    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    rough estimate is you might lose about 100 FPS per inch you remove. Interesting, I saw one 30-06 that gained 75-100 FPS in a 2 1/5 inch reduction. But that was a once in a lifetime so far.

    The 30-06 is still a good cartidge down to 18 - 20 inches of barrel for most hunting in my opinion.

    Chris
    There are several "rule of thumb" answers for your question, but the real answer is the difference will not be significant in moving from a 22-24 to 19-21 inches of barrel. I'd figure the total velocity loss will be under a 100 fps, not 100 fps per inch.

    For my part I like to keep barrels at least 20" long and prefer a bit more as the muzzle blast can get irritating fast. Everything is a compromise, just make the compromises you can best live with.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  15. #15
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    The 30-06 is still a good cartidge down to 18 - 20 inches of barrel for most hunting in my opinion.

    Chris
    I like a 20" to 22Ē 30-06, gives a gun that works as good as any .308 inside 200 yards but not overlay long in the thick, seems the best compromise to me.

    Also if the sight doesnít come into play anyone can cut and crown a barrel at home with hand tools and time . . . a drill speeds it up greatly though. Itís been covered many times in detail here if you need how-to instructions.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Fur,

    Confused some... the H & R 45 Colt should come with sights... as to the 30-06 it should run about $75 to $125. As to cutting a barrel, that's usaully just shop rate of about one hour ($50 to ?) - unless needing to move front sight. On the mosin it will probably be slightly higher due to front sight and unknown barrel hardness. (Seen some reasonable, some very hard, some seemed 'soft')

    Hope that helps.

    Chris
    The one I'm looking at is the survivor, its a 410/45 colt combo, same barrel, its a rifled barrel (a screw in straight rifled choke for shooting shot) but it has a bead front sight
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Petersburg, Ak
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Thank you for the replies. Good info to know.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,810

    Default

    I gained 200 fps going from 20" to a 26" new barrel.

    Smitty of theNorth
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  19. #19
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Fur,

    For the Survivor rifle a quick set of sights can be had that will clamp right on the weaver base. Short eye relief, but functional. Just do a search for weaver style clamp-on sights, then sort though all the M-4 stuff.

    If you didn't know the forearm has storeage compartments for more ammo, as well as compartments in the stock. I have one that I set up for halibut fishing, and use the compartments so as not to have to search for ammo, once got a biggun on the end of the line.

    Chris

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •