Thread: Jet A/Diesel recip motors

Default Jet A/Diesel recip motors

A few years ago the murmurs of diesel engine technology was everywhere. Our avgas engines were about to become a thing of the past. What's going on with jet A/diesel now? I never hear about it, but I'm not a magazine reader.

The only one I have been following is http://www.deltahawkengines.com/status00.shtml Mostly because it's a USA company. There are a couple Euro companies working on them also.

Our school used to have Diamond Twin Stars with Diesel engines. The company that made the engiens went out of business, so they have been replaced with Lyc. O-360s. In talking with one of the chiefs the problem with the Diesels engines is that JetA doesn't have the right additives, and after a while some JetA sellers wouldn't sell you their fuel for liability reasons.
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

It has been a wonder to me why gas is cheaper than diesel, yet jet A is cheaper than av gas....supply and demand I guess.
    Wont be long and diesel and av gas will be the same price. Maybe thats part of the reason diesel aircraft engines have not been in the spot light in a while.

Road Diesel is taxed different from Gasoline, because the trucking industry uses it. Its taxed a a higher rate, so the price is reflected at the pump.

Last month's EAA magazine had a short blurb on a diesel aircraft engine. Don't remember who the maker was, but they had a prototype that was into testing. They were hoping to have it in an airplane to fly to Oshkosh but they weren't too optimistic they'd be that far along by then. I'll see if I still have that copy.

Magazine already went into the recycle bin but I found the article online:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-11-23_flatvee.asp