Thread: Thinking of buying a 36' uniflite for fishing around Sweward or PWS any thoughts?

Default Thinking of buying a 36' uniflite for fishing around Sweward or PWS any thoughts?

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on on a 36' Uniflite as an fishing boat and to stay out on for extended periods. Thanks

i have been accused of bias for uniflites. buy it you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    i have been accused of bias for uniflites. buy it you'll like it.
    Ditto to 27 Sportfisher.

If she is a gasser, figure 1 nmpg. Not bad really, plus you are probably only paying $20-$50k for her being used and older. That price differential buys a lot of fuel.

A good economic choice. The 36' is bigger all around than the 31' Our 31' is very seaworthy and eats up everything in Southeast Alaska waters. Go for a testdrive to make sure she is mechanically sound and take note of how she rides.

Sobie2

I came really close to buying a 37' trawler last fall. The one thing that held me back is the time required to go where I like to fish & such. It was capable of hitting 24 knots but only by using a lot of fuel, otherwise it would be a steady 8-10 knot cruise. I figure a trip to the head of Cochran Bay would take two to three hours where as now I can get there in less than one. Being a weekend warrior (read - not ready to quit the day job) speed and fast range are more important to me right now. If you have lots of time on your hands and are a more patient man than I a big boat like that would be a no-brainer!

Good luck.

Sounds like a nice choice, as a friend had one and loved it. However, don't forget to factor in slip fees/storage/trailering hassles for the oversize rigs.

Have you thought about some serous Alloy ?
    http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/vi...p=32115#p32115
    This is a 36' , 40 LOA . There are two more Coldwaters there a 31' and a 35'

I've had my 31' for 5 years now and love it. It has weathered me through some hellashish storms and 20' seas. Depending on the year you'll need to look at blistering if in the 1977 timeline but not for all boats. Mine has been converted to twin diesels which was one item I was not willing to budge on (just my requirement is all) but gas engines are okay too. Mine cruises around 20 knots and while I would love to go faster (and I can) but fuel cost is a factor this gives me time to enjoy the ride. My guess is you'll be cruising in the 12 to 18 knot range unless the engines have been upgraded to turbo's. Just depends on what wanting to do.

For keeping it in Seward you'll need to speak to the harbor masters office and get on the slip list but you'll be able to be a transient slip until you secure one. Plan on a wait list of a year or two but not too big a deal (usually)

Not sure of your boating knowledge / skill so this thread could go on and on. PM me if you want to discuss further, I'd be happy to share more if you like.

But to close out, for a glass boat, I really like Uniflites. Very heavy and safe boat for these waters but it also depends on how it was cared for. Hope your not looking at this as an investment, cause it isn't that...
    Tony

36' is a mighty big hole in the water to throw money into..

We have friends in Juneau that have a 36' Uniflite - it's quite a boat. Handles big water well and is very comfortable. It would make a great hunting platform for PWS, and all that room would be great. 270ti makes a good point though - big boats have big maintenance costs... Also, you'll want to think about moorage. The wait list at Whittier is lengthy, so if you don't already have slip, it would be many years before you'd get one for the new boat. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    36' is a mighty big hole in the water to throw money into..
    Amen to that. It's also going to need a serious truck and trailer to move it. Not to mention permitting to move it as well as the huge tunnel fees for that width of vessel. If you don't have a slip already in Whittier or Seward it's going to be a bear to deal with.

i used to think that a boat was a hole in the water. so i strapped my pole holder to the side of my truck and headed to montague. turns out that a truck dont float well.

you might take a look to see if the 37 tolly in Whittier is still up for sale. It has twin 3208 cats.