Thread: Hook size guidelines?

Default Hook size guidelines?

After reading some of the other threads where people mentioned hook sizes "appropriate to lure size", I started wondering about guidelines for hook sizes. For those of us who are relative rookies, can someone provide guidance for hook sizes for trolling for salmon?

What hooks are appropriate for a two-hook hoochie setup?

What do you use with Brad's Super Cut Plugs?

What size with J-Plugs?

Coyote spoons?

Thanks!

I want the biggest I can get away with while not killing the action. That's cuzz my aim is to get the hook point under some bone, rather than just grabbing flesh. For black tray and purple tray herring fished whole or cut plug I use 7/0 Owner on my 2- hook setups. For bleu tray I use the same on whole herring, but I drop to 5/0 for plug cut. I use 5/0 with Brads, 8/0 with large J's and 5/0 with the smaller ones. Coyotes get 5/0 or sometimes 3/0 if I want more movement.

for solid tie salmon mooching or drifting, I use 4/0-3/0 Gamagatsu octopus hooks...never felt I needed anything bigger. The 4/0 in the head/front and the 3/0 through the body of the herring and hanging out a couple inches like a stinger.

That said, I tried just a single 4/0 hook last summer on mooching herring for silvers and seemed to do just as well on hookups and getting fish in, one less hook to tangle in the net or hook a hand when reaching for a thrashing salmon...

BrownBear,

Do you use a whole coyote, or just the tail?

If you need more 'otes, there seems to be a surplus here in North Pole this winter.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    BrownBear,

Do you use a whole coyote, or just the tail?

If you need more 'otes, there seems to be a surplus here in North Pole this winter.

Chris
    I dump the tails and use the bodies. Actually that's not far from the truth, because I dump the little "flipper" on these and change the hook. Hate that hook. I almost never use Coyotes for silvers. They work, but I have other stuff I like better. I use them for kings, but the standard hook has cost me too many fish for some reason, especially when fishing in shallow water. I prefer the 050 and especially the 060 size when I can get it, with 1084 being tops in the shallows on sunny days and 1145 close behind. Had some interesting things happening with the 1600 series (especially 1601 and 1603) deep fishing last year. A buddy gave me a couple of each color to try, and those two worked better than the ladder backs we usually use.

I like 5/0 hooks as well for Kings. I also think the Gamagatsu hooks are the sharpest out of the box. I have hooked a couple of Kings after they tail slapped the bait. No other hook I have tried has done that.

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    I like 5/0 hooks as well for Kings. I also think the Gamagatsu hooks are the sharpest out of the box. I have hooked a couple of Kings after they tail slapped the bait. No other hook I have tried has done that.
    Not being arugemtnative at all, but that makes me wonder if you've tried Owner "cut point" hooks. After trying them, I gave away all my Gamies.

One other thing I've seen. We do a lot of shallow water king trolling, and when the light is right actually get to watch the fish follow and hit lines outside of the wake. I've changed my mind on "tail slaps" now. Next time it happens, check your flasher for teeth marks. The ones I've tail hooked (often "butt hooked") were actually hitting the flasher when it happened. That's when I go to really big stuff for trolling, even in the shallows. Happens most often in the spring when we get the big "choker" herring up in the shallows.

Not familiar with "cut point" hooks. Where do you find them? I never use flashers as I hate to drag them through the water with a nice King on. I use very light gear as I really like a good fight. I spend most of my effort into making the herring do what I want it to do. I find that tail slaps occur when I am in big balls of feed, usually deeper water. My theory is the Kings slam through the ball and come back to pick up the stunned ones.

No flasher settles it! And I bet you're right about what's going on. I sure see silvers doing it on needlefish at the surface.

If you're using lighter gear you'll really like the Owners. They set faster and deeper with less effort than any hook I know of. I get mine in local shops now. They're more expensive than Gamies, but pretty quickly replacing them on local shelves. Lots of places sell them online, too. I just googled and pulled this one out of lots listed. Here is the official poop from the Owner site.

I guess I'm a little wrong, because they're officially called "Cutting Point" rather than cut point. For the last 20 years we've used Owners in one form or another for bluewater fishing in warm places for bills and tuna, so it was natural to try them for salmon up here. You DO NOT want to give them a chance to get in human flesh. Wicked as wicked can be.

Thanks Brown bear, I ordered a couple of packs to try out. Nothing is too good in pursuit of the Kings.

On my hoochies, use 4/0 gamakatsus and I change them often. Saltwater is a point killer. Same for herring too. Never had any issues of kings not being hooked deep enough or getting off.

Edited to say:

I really prefer the 4/0 hooks over the 5/0 hooks for hoochies behind a flasher for the reason that it's easier to get a hoochie not to spin with 4/0 hooks than 5/0. A spinning hoochie kings no likie..

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    Nothing is too good in pursuit of the Kings.
    You ain't kidding!

Something to watch for- We've convinced ourselves that hookups have gone up versus missed strikes compared to Gami's. We also feel we lose fewer fish. I wasn't paying attention last year and handed my wife a leader with Gami's on it, and sure enough she lost a fish. Boy, did she give me the dickens when she went to rebait and recognized they weren't Owners!

Might be us just trying to justify the extra expense, but I'm convinced not. At any rate, nothing is too good in my mind.

I figure most of my "tail" hooked kings, is when a king rolls up the leader before the hook really gets driven home. The hook unasses itself and as the king slips out from the line, the hook grabs the tail. I see the line marks on tail hooked cohos all the time as it's much more common to tail hook a coho, and in the early season the scales come right off from the line.