Thread: 150 etec ho or 150 optimax

Default 150 etec ho or 150 optimax

Hey looking for jet for a 20' sea ark and wanted some opinions on what u guys thought about these two motors. The 150 etec ho and the 150 optimax. Also was wondering if the 150 etec ho comes with the bigger pump also is the etec ho better then the regular etec motor thanks for info

Quote Originally Posted by monte007 View Post
    Hey looking for jet for a 20' sea ark and wanted some opinions on what u guys thought about these two motors. The 150 etec ho and the 150 optimax. Also was wondering if the 150 etec ho comes with the bigger pump also is the etec ho better then the regular etec motor thanks for info
    I use both motors, here is what I have found. In a race the Merc will win. The Merc is avaible Jet ready [ no gear case no jet ] It's called 110 Jet Power. The E-Tec 150 HO has no advantage as a jet over the regular 150 E-Tec as the differance in the 150 is the gear case [for bass boats] and the graphics. Yes there is a power Jet that fits a 150 E-Tec, the power Jet has two different impellers. A full blade and a cut back [a cut back has less blade area to allow a motor to turn more RPM's] The 150 can't turn enough RPM's with the full blade. In my test I could haul more weight with the standard jet with the full size 7 3/8 than the same motor with a power jet and a cut back 7 5/8. With all that said it's like Ford's and Chev's it's which one you like and who does service. Glen

When we ran the Koyukuk I had a 200 Opti and other guy had a 200 Etec in very similar boats with similar loads. The Optimax was slightly better with the fuel consumption but it was much louder as well.
    Both motors were running props. If I had to do it over again would go for the Etec because you could actually converse when running 5,500 rpms. But never experienced one single problem with the Optimax.

i have run with both and don't think you can go wrong with either, the opti is a little louder but you can still convers while running a prop not so much with a jet but its the same way with an etec.

I have seen a few publications that compared 150Hp ouboards head to head and the Merc 150 Optimax got THE BEST fuel economy of all 2 and 4 stroke outboards (etec included)... loud but best fuel consumption. Crazy.

Sobie2

Hey thanks for the info guys lots of great input. I gotta decide what dealer I want to go through now.