Thread: frozen radar

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default frozen radar

The new boat holds more cod, we took delivery last may and had a great fishing charter season with it. Now we are jigging Pcod in single digit temps. The boat came with a garmin electronics package, the best part of the package was the radar, until now, its frozen, I could hear a grinding noise when I turn on the unit on, Furuno and Raythyon never had issues when it was cold.

with 3000lbs I try not to plane out unless I need to catchup to a tender. so I put around at 8knts burning 4 gph, verses 16gph at 16knts. with 4500lbs I cruise at 8knts burning 5gph and at 14knts 18gph, again I put around with a load, it has a 370 DPH volvo
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Is that an Open Array, on your radar?

Just wondering if your are making ice up top, or if it is just too cold, inside a Radome?

Also wondering, did you have it on stand-by over night, as in, not spinning for a while, then restarting?
    Or was it the beginning of a trip, just too cold?

I've also never had problems with Furuno, Raytheon, thru lots of Heavy Freezing Spray type weather,
    but we keep 'em running all the time when the COLD descends,
    I realize, that's not too realistic for your operation, tho

Congrats on the full loads, sounds like a good year to be a smaller guy,
    too tempting to stay out, load up and get in trouble for the big guys offshore lately

R.I.P. the F/V Heritage, the 68footer that was directed to my rescue a few Novembers ago,
    when drifitng around in my survival raft,....was a welcome sight, tho I still wish the Rescue Swimmer would have jumped,...

Heritage guys did a amazing pickup in heavy Seas, gave me a Stormy ride home
    Now is on the bottom, covered in ice I guess, but all the guys are home
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Is that an Open Array, on your radar?

Just wondering if your are making ice up top, or if it is just too cold, inside a Radome?

Also wondering, did you have it on stand-by over night, as in, not spinning for a while, then restarting?
    Or was it the beginning of a trip, just too cold?

I've also never had problems with Furuno, Raytheon, thru lots of Heavy Freezing Spray type weather,
    but we keep 'em running all the time when the COLD descends,
    I realize, that's not too realistic for your operation, tho

Congrats on the full loads, sounds like a good year to be a smaller guy,
    too tempting to stay out, load up and get in trouble for the big guys offshore lately

R.I.P. the F/V Heritage, the 68footer that was directed to my rescue a few Novembers ago,
    when drifitng around in my survival raft,....was a welcome sight, tho I still wish the Rescue Swimmer would have jumped,...

Heritage guys did a amazing pickup in heavy Seas, gave me a Stormy ride home
    Now is on the bottom, covered in ice I guess, but all the guys are home
    It warmed up a couple weeks ago for a day and then the temps drop[ed. thats when it freezes on startup, later if the sun comes out it will startup when I shut everything and restart. moister must be in the dome.

Fishing in the cold is ok, just not when you add wind, then the boat ices. This is a rare cold spell for us on Kodiak, I just got done thawing my pipes for the house!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com