Thread: Tutka Bay in September - what to expect?

Default Tutka Bay in September - what to expect?

Hi, I will be kayaking Tutka bay area next september. Saltwater Fishing is (beside of some Halibut fishing) fairly new for me (I usually flyfish freshwater). What can I expect to fish in Tutka Bay while kajaking? Where (entrance of bay or better along coast outside of Tutka)?
    What kind of lure should I bring (can not bring too much stuff)?

Thank you for your help! I am very happy to come again to Alaska.
    Hans

Lots of cod in Tutka area and the occasional Halibut. They do troll for kings/silvers outside Tutka in Eldred passage sometimes I think that is mostly due to rough weather elsewhere. But I have heard of people catching Salmon there while trolling.
    I like to use Jigs and herring for the bottom fish. A leadhead with a rubber tail is a good lure. I usually tip mine with a chunk of herring.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thank you Chris. Are feeder silvers or kings yearround in the area? For the salmon-entering-streams fishing, mid September it's too late. That's way I will go to Kodiak after the kajak trip: there is Coho time.
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans-Linus View Post
    Thank you Chris. Are feeder silvers or kings yearround in the area? For the salmon-entering-streams fishing, mid September it's too late. That's way I will go to Kodiak after the kajak trip: there is Coho time.
    Hans
    Feeder kings hang out througout Kachemak Bay all year long and Eldred Passage can be a good place to find them. Of course since they're feeding on bait they go where the bait goes, so sometimes Eldred can be good and sometimes not so good. There are also some halibut that hang out inside Eldred and Tutka so you could get some halibut, too.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Are you kayaking with seaside adventures?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Pretty fair gray cod and small 'but fishing between Kasitsna and Hesketh, try to hit it at slack tide.
    Man, if you could get here a month earlier, you'd be up to your neck in good fishin', just saying
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Yes, I know, it's late, but my focus is Silver fishing in Kodiak. For that, the timing is perfect. So, a few days kayaking and hopefully some wildlife watching is the goal in Tutka, before leaving to Kodiak.
    And if I can fish a little, what do you want more? We will rent 2 kayaks and will be without guide or groups. We will camp (tent) or try to reserve the cabin (Sea Star Cove). Hope we see a lot of critters. For best lure I will aks in Homer. As I said I'm more the flyfishing guy...

Thanks to you up there
    Hans

I use a jig called a Swedish Pimple that seems to work for anything swimming. Although September is a month of changes, our weather can frequently be quite nice, sunny with cool nights. Or it could rain the whole time.

Also, there are yurts for rent in Tutka. Not sure how late in the season they operate. I believe it's called Nomad Shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans-Linus View Post
    And if I can fish a little, what do you want more? Hans
    True that. My philosophy exactly
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg