Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Everything else" rifle...................?

Default The "Everything else" rifle...................?

Over the last year or so i have been condensing my gun safe, i have been getting rid of stuff i dont use and upgrading stuff i do and trying to get my hunting guns down to more versitle options. I have my Howa 338 that i love and I know it would kill everything in AK with aplomb but it is a bit heavy and not needed for the smaller critters. I had a few other calibers that i got rid of because i didnt like the rifle they were chambered in. So i am contemplating my nexy purchase to be the "everything else" rifle. By that i mean everything else that isnt moose or big bears (if im lucky), so deer, sheep, bou, etc. I really like Kimber Montanas, but wish they still chambered it in the 260 or something.

Sooooo..........I would like to hear your reccomendations on calibers for "everything else" and rifle options you like too. I always enjoy hearing others perspectives on these matters.

thanks
    Fin

A 7mm-08 and a .338 would be a perfect gun combo for Alaska. I've never been one to sell guns, but you've got me thinking...

thanks Brian,
    im not down to bare bones, i have play guns, but before i moved up from Montana I had waaaaaaaay tooooo many to try and bring up, plus the family need a $ cushion so some had to go. The more i think about it, the more i like it. I will have less guns, but ones that i will enjoy more because they are exactly what i want and upgraded with nice glass etc.

6.5x55 for everything from mice to moose. Black bear too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If you have a .338, you need a .22LR, THAT is the Aaskan "everything else" rifle.
    A 12 gauge should figure in sometime as well.......

If you insist on a centerfire, its hard to beat an M-39 Finn Mosin Nagant. The ammo is plentyfull in large quantity for plenty of shooting and practise, as well, its inherent accuracy is enough to leave accuracy issues to you and the ammo being the widest variables. Good price too, and if you drop it down a skree shute or in salt water spray all day , you wont cry over it, and besides, it will definitly kill any and all animals hunted in Ak.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

thanks stranger,
    I have a 91/30 Mosin and lots of 22's so im covered there. I agree the 338 is a great round for everything, but like i said its pretty heavy so im looking for a little less weight rifle,and just a new gun too i guess

I personally have done quite well with a 300 WM, but you have a 338. So I would have to say a 270 win. Plentiful ammo, and it's a very flat shooting round. My friend just shot a 7'9" grizz in petersville last fall with his 270 and it didn't go but ten feet. I also know of people in the states using them for white tails. It could also be an all around gun too. You could go smaller but if your in bear country, thats as small as I would feel comfortable with.

If I sold all my guns except the three I use the most I would be left with a mossberg 500 12g, Stainless A-bolt 325WSM, and a Kimber Montana 280ai.

The 280AI is my mountain rifle but it makes a pretty sweet "everything else" gun.

32 special......nuff said its what I use for big bears, little bears, squirrels, moose, 'bou, deer, sheep, goats....Although now I recently got a mosin so that might be my new designated long-range sheep/goat rifle for shooting across canyons.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If I sold all my guns except the three I use the most I would be left with a mossberg 500 12g, Stainless A-bolt 325WSM, and a Kimber Montana 280ai.

The 280AI is my mountain rifle but it makes a pretty sweet "everything else" gun.
    The 280AI is on my short list. i had all the intentions to make a 280 rem mtn rifle i had into an AI with a nre barrel but didnt work out.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
    thanks stranger,
    I have a 91/30 Mosin and lots of 22's so im covered there. I agree the 338 is a great round for everything, but like i said its pretty heavy so im looking for a little less weight rifle,and just a new gun too i guess

Well, if you already have a Mosin, your doin' fine in my book................. From Mt. eh? Makes perfect sense

Then a new Gun it is, like a new Ride, and new Drug or a new Woman, there are few pleasures in life like a new Rifle
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

you need to make sure that you have a shotgun in the mix.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I like a 25.06 pretty good myself.

I would say .308 and .338, just because I think it is easier to find ammo for the .308 than a 7mm-08... but that is an excellent rifle too...

For the last several years I have been using the .270WSM and .338 win mag, both in browning a-bolt, it has been a good combo for me, used the .270 on deer and moose, it would have also worked fine on caribou, sheep and black bear. I use my .338 for goat,moose,bear. I recently got a browning xbolt in .325wsm for using as an all around mountain rifle. I have intentions on still using all three of them, although the .325 will probably get the most use.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

you have the .338win, so i'd have to go .260Rem or .280AI.

Since no one has said it yet, I will ..... drum roll please ! .30-06' duh.

I more or less pared all my hunting rifles down to a .300WSM and been happy with the results so far.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
    Over the last year or so i have been condensing my gun safe, i have been getting rid of stuff i dont use and upgrading stuff i do and trying to get my hunting guns down to more versitle options. I have my Howa 338 that i love and I know it would kill everything in AK with aplomb but it is a bit heavy and not needed for the smaller critters. I had a few other calibers that i got rid of because i didnt like the rifle they were chambered in. So i am contemplating my nexy purchase to be the "everything else" rifle. By that i mean everything else that isnt moose or big bears (if im lucky), so deer, sheep, bou, etc. I really like Kimber Montanas, but wish they still chambered it in the 260 or something.

Sooooo..........I would like to hear your reccomendations on calibers for "everything else" and rifle options you like too. I always enjoy hearing others perspectives on these matters.

thanks
    Fin
    Since you have more experience than most perhaps get a Blaser or Thompson Center. Then you'd only need to decide on which caliber would be first...

I read an article on a subject of this nature many many years ago. There wasn't of course a one-all-do-all gun, but several actually to cover all of the bases. They were; .22LR, 12ga. shotgun, .270 rifle and a .338WM rifle. This combination can, has, and will kill any and everything on the North American Continent. Seemed reasonable as I read it, so that's what I eventually did. He was right. All easy to reload or replace ammo, user friendly, and all are time proven. Ammo "in a hardware store" mentality came into play as well, it made sense..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast