Thread: Fuel consumption

Default Fuel consumption

Hey SnowWolf how did your hunting trip turn out?
    I know you had some good fuel consumption numbers on your Mercury OB with a prop.
    How did the inboard compare this year? Watching that 4 stroke Mercury video got me thinking?

Bum knee (torn ACL) and an over loaded boat forced us to hunt in an area we never hunted before and we never even saw a bull. Cut the trip short by about a week. Mercury had a smart craft gauge with a gauge that showed gallons of fuel used per hour but our Thunderjet has no gauge so I can only estimate the fuel that was used. Would guess the Thunder Jet used 16-18 gallons per hour compared to the Optimax using 10-13 when both boats were fully loaded. Our Mercury was a DI motor, not a 4 stroke.

But you can't compare apples to oranges. The 23 Alaskan we owned was a light, fairly skinny boat being pushed by a prop. The Thunder Jet is 25 feet with a 9 foot beam, metal roof, etc being pushed by 425 hp 8.1 liter inboard jet and is decked out with a ton of extras as well as a 10 hp kicker and a fish deck and rails. And the bottom metal of the TJ (1/4 inch) is twice as thick as the Alaskan (1/8 inch)

We are looking forward to following some of you guys up some of our rivers so we can learn how to run the jet boat better

Sorry to hear about the bad luck,we had a few trips with broken boats, cracked block, water jacket opened up, let the antifreeze drop into the cylinder " Not a good out come", 2 miles from camp and one boat we lost a main shaft bearing on a 212 and had to replace the whole shaft and bearing on the river. We barged one boat home and piled into one, two moose and we barely got on step on the way back to Galena.

I know a guy that is looking to build a boat with a merc like your old one for yukon trips and use down here on the Big Su and other rivers, he was looking at a 175 Opti.
    There are plenty of new places for you to explore with the jet boat around here this spring.

The Thunder Jet ran great other than we broke off the transducer on a log. Used this as an excuse to replace the depth finder and GPS. Hope to pull the impellar this spring and check it out just to see if it needs adjusting or built back up.

The knee had the ACL replaced two months ago so we are good to go on more trips this coming summer/fall.