Thread: 350 Wells Express a 35-378wby?

Default 350 Wells Express a 35-378wby?

Anybody know anything about the 350 Wells Express? It takes a 378wby cartridge necked down to 35 caliber. I might have the opportunity to acquire one but its a new caliber to me. Anybody have any input? Thanks!

If it's chambered in a Wells rifle and you can afford it I would say buy it, regardless of caliber. Wells was truly a master of the gunmaker's craft. I have never heard of the cartridge, but if it's really a 35-378 it's certain to be a crusher, sounds like an awesome delivery vehicle for the 310gr Woodleigh bullets.
    Last edited by The Kid; 01-26-2012 at 20:57. Reason: Spelling

It was made after Mr Wells death by a guy who was a barrel maker for Mr Wells and who has continued the legacy by building them the way they were first designed. It's a Cz 550 magnum action on a McMillan stock. Stainless barrel with a break. Any idea what this would be worth?

No doubt it was built by Dan Pederson, nice guy and also a very capable gunsmith and barrelmaker. I'm not sure what it would be worth, though resale will certainly be less than what went into it, in part due to the odd chambering. Too bad it's not a Wells Mauser actioned rifle, though there is nothing wrong with the 550. A guess would be around 1000$ as high resale, sans optics, due solely to the strange chambering. Still, if it came with dies and was a good deal, I would hop on it knowing it would be an unstoppable bear rifle, chambered for a neat cartridge few others have.

Yep thats the guy. I might be taking it in on trade, a leupold mark 2 6-18, dies, and 50 pieces of brass are included. Might have to go for it, just to have something totally different!

Ak-pilot,
    This link may be of interest to you, it's not the exact same caliber, but the same concept.
    http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar31.htm
    There are more links at the bottom of that page too with a link to loads.

-Brandon