Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Halibut 2012 3 person group July

Default Halibut 2012 3 person group July

Hello all,
    3rd time up to wonderful Alaska for halibut fishing. We have done the party boat fishing. We'd rather have fish drama them the 15-20 other people on the boat. Wonderinf if someone can steer me toward a smaller boat for a day or two of Halibut and maybe some Salmon fishing. We have always stayed in Homer. But are open to other options. Plannning on probably a July trip. Housing is also somehting that would have to be worked out. So please send us some options, plans, ideas, and or thoughts. Current ideas are one day Halibut, one day Salmon float, 3 days drinking beers, taking pictures, touring and or fishing. Also what other fishing options are out there for the month of July? How about Northern fishing?? Char, or rock fish?? I know this is alot. Kind of like a superball in a small box. But min 2 days fishing 3 would be cool if we can make it interesting.

Can anyone steer my group towards a smaller commercial/non commercial boat for Halibut and or Salmon fishing. Prefer somewhere near Homer, but an hour drive wouldn't be a problem. Three guys 2-3 days fishing. Would also like to do a river float for salmon.

Have you ever thought of going out of Whittier? It is only an hour south of Anchorage and the water is a lot calmer than out of Seward or Homer. Capt. Kristen at Saltwater Excursions will do a nice job for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tabber View Post
    Can anyone steer my group towards a smaller commercial/non commercial boat for Halibut and or Salmon fishing. Prefer somewhere near Homer, but an hour drive wouldn't be a problem. Three guys 2-3 days fishing. Would also like to do a river float for salmon.
    There are a lot of good 6 pack charters out of Homer... but If I were to go on a Charter I'd go with either Capt Mike Huff (Captain Mikes) or Tony Arseanu (??) on the Falcon (Falcon Charters) those guys have been fishing those waters since forever, they have very nice boats, and good tackle... but like I say, there's lots of good charters there... I just don't know any of the newer younger guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    There are a lot of good 6 pack charters out of Homer... but If I were to go on a Charter I'd go with either Capt Mike Huff (Captain Mikes) or Tony Arseanu (??) on the Falcon (Falcon Charters) those guys have been fishing those waters since forever, they have very nice boats, and good tackle... but like I say, there's lots of good charters there... I just don't know any of the newer younger guys...
    We don't have a set agenda. Really I would like to hear from you fishermen up in Alaska. Set us straight as to where we should go out of. It would be nice to get into a few larger halibut. The last two times I caught 15-20 chickens. That was fun, tiring, but was what I wanted then. Now I would rather get into fewer fish, but have a shot at a larger one.

So all that being said, we could go anywhere south of Anchorage. Just want a solid direction.

How is the Northern Pike fishing in the Kenai area?

We don't have a set agenda. Really I would like to hear from you fishermen up in Alaska. Set us straight as to where we should go out of. It would be nice to get into a few larger halibut. The last two times I caught 15-20 chickens. That was fun, tiring, but was what I wanted then. Now I would rather get into fewer fish, but have a shot at a larger one.

So all that being said, we could go anywhere south of Anchorage. Just want a solid direction.
    I'm biased because I charter out of Homer and consider it one of the nicest little towns to live in (some people even say it's "quaint" but I'm not so sure about that!), but if I were you I'd stick with Homer. Personally I don't think it can be beat since in a good day you could come back with a full complement of halibut, ling cod, rock fish and salmon. It's just a matter of having the timing right and finding the right captain. Both Mike and Tony are in the slips directly across the dock from me and they are both class acts and will get you to where the fish are.

Not to be overly disparaging toward Whittier, but I wouldn't dream of taking a charter out of there unless you had no other choice. The weather there is totally unpredictable and can get really nasty. You also have to run a long way for nice fish which cuts into your fishing time. I have a couple of spots here in Homer that are only a half hour from the Homer Spit where I've pulled in 50 to 60 lb. halibut for my clients, and then gone to the Bluffs and picked up a salmon or three.

If I were you I'd go to the "Directory" on the forum and look up the Homer charter operators and start making inquiries as to how much they cost, how long you will fish for and what their experience is, etc. Keep notes on it all and then compare those notes and go with the one your heart tells you is going to do their best to get you the fish you deserve.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Not to be overly disparaging toward Whittier, but I wouldn't dream of taking a charter out of there unless you had no other choice. The weather there is totally unpredictable and can get really nasty..
    That does sound "overly disparaging", as well as just plain wrong and uncool. If you like, Muttley, I can provide a few hundred references from those who have fished both. The weather in Whittier is absolutely no less predictable than other ports, that is, once you have some experience reading it. Whittier will commonly get a stiff westerly, but it is very predictable, and most often reaches just a few miles from town during the summer. In addition, because of the protection the southern Sound offers, you're likely to get out when the weather will keep you tied to the dock in Homer, Deep Creek, and Seward. There are good and bad in every port. Find someone who is known to be consistant in the Port you choose.

How is the Northern Pike fishing in the Kenai area?
    Marginal at best and that's being generous. Considering it's July and your time is limited I would stick to the ocean for halibut/lings/rockfish and the rivers for salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'm biased because I charter out of Homer and consider it one of the nicest little towns to live in (some people even say it's "quaint" but I'm not so sure about that!), but if I were you I'd stick with Homer. Personally I don't think it can be beat since in a good day you could come back with a full complement of halibut, ling cod, rock fish and salmon. It's just a matter of having the timing right and finding the right captain. Both Mike and Tony are in the slips directly across the dock from me and they are both class acts and will get you to where the fish are.

Not to be overly disparaging toward Whittier, but I wouldn't dream of taking a charter out of there unless you had no other choice. The weather there is totally unpredictable and can get really nasty. You also have to run a long way for nice fish which cuts into your fishing time. I have a couple of spots here in Homer that are only a half hour from the Homer Spit where I've pulled in 50 to 60 lb. halibut for my clients, and then gone to the Bluffs and picked up a salmon or three.

If I were you I'd go to the "Directory" on the forum and look up the Homer charter operators and start making inquiries as to how much they cost, how long you will fish for and what their experience is, etc. Keep notes on it all and then compare those notes and go with the one your heart tells you is going to do their best to get you the fish you deserve.

not cool muttley,

Trash talking about a port where you are not chartering. Sell your trip on here if thats what what you want but not at the expense of another guy. Tell the OP how great you are and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    not cool muttley,

Trash talking about a port where you are not chartering. Sell your trip on here if thats what what you want but not at the expense of another guy. Tell the OP how great you are and leave it at that.
    Leave it alone AKCAPT. Talk about "not cool." I stated my own personal opinion and was not "trash talking" Whittier. I am telling the person what my experience has been out of Whittier in the 21 years I've lived in Alaska. If you can tell me where out of Whittier you can find a place I can catch a 70 lb. halibut or a 28 lb. king only 3 miles from port please let me know.

And it is a pretty well known fact with just about everyone that ever goes out of Whittier that the weather there is ofter time a lot worse than it is in any other port such as Seward or Homer.

Sorry for stating my opinion. I thought that what was what the purpose of this forum was.

Fisherman to fisherman this is my .02

Whittier is a beautiful area with typically better water than elsewhere. Halibut fishing usually requires a long boat ride to get to the good areas. I go there for shrimping and bear hunting or shorter fishing trips as its closer to home.

Seward has a better variety of fishing for rockbass, lingcod, salmon and halibut. I haven't halibut chartered out of Seward so I could be wrong but from what I hear they typically travel to the same areas the guides go out of Whittier which is still a boat ride. If I wanted to catch a variety of fish, see lots of sealife and nice scenery this is where I would go.

Homer is the go to place for halibut. That said I have only chartered a few times out of there, none of which were real productive but that's fishing. I do however take my own boat there when halibut is what I'm after and we catch plenty but the water conditions have kept me on land since I'm in a 20' boat.

There are alot of options out there during July both in the saltwater and freshwater all depending on what kind of experience you want. If I were coming to AK to fish though, northerns would not be on my list. I'd probably suggest that you go out of either Homer or Deep Creek for a day of halibut fishing on a six pack. Head to the Kenia for a day of guided King fishing and then fish for reds till your heart is content or you get tired of the people. If your into fly fishing there are also some nice rainbows in the Kenia.

Whittier, almost no kings, fair halibut if you run a long way. Good shrimping when open.

Homer, kings year around, good to great halibut fishing (try to locate a charter that loves to fish the kelp or at least fish in water under 120ft deep)! Try Silver fox or Reel Fun Charters, Tony and Mike are great too! Ling and rockfish are here too.

Seward, longer runs for fish. Don't know the charters but heard AKCAPT is good.

Things to ask, How far or long is the running time? How deep of water do you fish in? What do you provide? Do you have a fuel charge? How many people do you take?

I have fished all over Alaska for over 35 years and have never taken any one I fish with to Whittier ,because it's to close to Anchorage

Bighorn said it right. Muttley is a good skipper and so is akcap. My suggestion is Homer for Halibut and if you can get someone running to the Barron's, do it. 3 hour one way but the butts are huge!!!! Seward is a good place and you will still run at least 2 hours for good fishing for butts. I also think ling cods are game that time of year too but check on that, I could be wrong. Good luck whatever you decide!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Someone has never had the Barron burn! It ends with the mountain drift or the Flat Is pail bail

MGH, and your point is??????????
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Hey everyone, thanks for your input. Didn't want to start anything here. I know some here are actually running a boat,and speaking for their services. That is cool also. Could you tell me more about the Barrons?? Never heard of that place. Our plan is less is more, if they run bigger. I have learned that when half your boat is full of women with kids, and older folks a few chickens will keep most happy. Been there, done that. Left somewhat bummed. Alaska is a big adventure, I want to see that. I'm from Minnesota, big fish here will run around 30-50 lbs for Musky, lake trout, and sturgeons. Looking for the thrill, maybe running on the edge a little. No that doesn't include running with the bears. Okay lost myself there. Any suggestions on fishing out of Homer on a boat with only 3 fishermen for the Halibut, Salmon, rockfish, maybe sharks? I would like a few guys to sell themselves on this plan. Also a river Salmon drift boat fishing trip. If you can help us with this please send me a private email to eliminate some of the chatter between Harbors/Captains. That was never my intent. tabber35@hotmail.com

Probably staying on the Spit in Homer, so I really hope we can put something together. Hate surfing the websites. Everyone looks fantastic. BTW I have has good experiences with Inlet charters in the past. But want something that would fit a small group this time.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Fisherman to fisherman this is my .02

Whittier is a beautiful area with typically better water than elsewhere. Halibut fishing usually requires a long boat ride to get to the good areas. I go there for shrimping and bear hunting or shorter fishing trips as its closer to home.

Seward has a better variety of fishing for rockbass, lingcod, salmon and halibut. I haven't halibut chartered out of Seward so I could be wrong but from what I hear they typically travel to the same areas the guides go out of Whittier which is still a boat ride. If I wanted to catch a variety of fish, see lots of sealife and nice scenery this is where I would go.

Homer is the go to place for halibut. That said I have only chartered a few times out of there, none of which were real productive but that's fishing. I do however take my own boat there when halibut is what I'm after and we catch plenty but the water conditions have kept me on land since I'm in a 20' boat.

There are alot of options out there during July both in the saltwater and freshwater all depending on what kind of experience you want. If I were coming to AK to fish though, northerns would not be on my list. I'd probably suggest that you go out of either Homer or Deep Creek for a day of halibut fishing on a six pack. Head to the Kenia for a day of guided King fishing and then fish for reds till your heart is content or you get tired of the people. If your into fly fishing there are also some nice rainbows in the Kenia.
    Geez, I hope I don't get admonished for saying this, but having fished Seward and Homer for 20 years I'd have to put Homer right up there with the variety of fish that are available compared to Seward. There are plenty of lings, rockfish and halibut easily within not much more than an hour from port. And the thing I like the most about it is you can go out 365 days a year and have a pretty good chance of catching a feeder king or more and when the silvers come through there are days you can limit out in an hour if you hit the right spot. I used to love Seward for silvers because you can catch them as early as June all the way through the summer until fall, but in MY OPINION I like the chances of catching a 20 to 30 lb. king any day of the year. That's why I live and fish here. I LOVE fishing for feeder kings AND those spawners when they start coming through.

tw 2000, My point is there are a lot better places to fish out of Homer then the Barron's very over rated!!!! Try Mann's Charters killer combo, or Silver Fox. For your best trip buy the whole boat!

Tabber,

I have fished out of Seward, Homer and Kodiak for halibut, salmon, ling cod and rockfish over the last 25 years or so. Some of that was with my own boat, but a lot with charters, just like you guys. Out of all that fishing, my two absolutely best trips were with Crackerjack Charters out of Seward, and Happy Hooker out of Kodiak. I did both of them last summer. A close second was Saltwater Safari Company out of Seward. All of them got us on fish, and they kept our heads in the game if it got a little slow. I also fished with Bill Jones, who used to own Admiral Charters in Seward. He's not down there anymore, but he was sure fun. He loved to fish for big halibut, and whenever we hooked one, he'd turn on the music from "Jaws" just to get the blood going. He was a blast to fish with.

One thing you have to understand about charter fishing is that nobody has any control over whether the fish will cooperate or not. Sounds obvious, but it's surprising how we judge an operator by how many fish we caught on the one trip we went with them in an entire year. We save up our money and go with whomever, and we sing their praises if we catch fish. It's the way fishermen are. But everyone has off days. So you have to look at averages, and especially references. One thing I also look at is how the skipper and crew are with the fishermen. Do they try to teach you new things? Do they get on your case if you're doing it wrong? Do they appear to be having a good time too? Do they object if you want to bring some of your own gear (I like to do that sometimes)?

You might have a look at our Saltwater Charterboat Fishing page for some tips that might help you on your trip. There's a ton of practical info there, from what to wear, what to bring (and what not to bring), tackle you might consider bringing, etiquette, and a lot more.

I learned more from Andy Mezirow of Crackerjack Charters on one trip last summer than I learned in 25 years of halibut fishing. The way he rigged large baits, his ideas on chum lines, and his philosophy on what to do with big fish... the man respects the resource and knows that on a given day, everyone has a chance to out-fish the other boats. And not one time did he ever bad-mouth any of the other charter captains out there.

There are a LOT of other good ones around. I have heard good things about Captain Pete and Muttley Crew too. I have not fished with them yet.

And Kodiak... well, I will certainly be back there. A totally different kind of trip, and it was AWESOME. If you find yourself down that way, you might look up Kodiak Combos. I've heard a lot of good things about them too. I'd like to try them this summer, but we'll have to see how finances go...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Charterboat Operator

And the Seward VS Homer battle shows up once again on the forum..... I just made some popcorn, please continue!!! Love these thread's

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast