Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doug Vincent-Lang new acting Director of DWC

Default Doug Vincent-Lang new acting Director of DWC

Well, Cora Campbell appointed Doug Vincent-Lang as the new acting Director of the Division of Wildlife Conservation.

Doug has thirty years with the Dept, plenty of experience but it is all in fisheries. He was the special assistant to the commish and the ESA coordinator.

Don't want to appear to knock Doug, but for the life of me I don't understand why someone without a wildlife background would be put in as director of wildlife conservation. Anyway, from what I understand it's temporary as they search for a replacement for Rossi, so I guess we'll see. Good luck to Doug.

so with 30 years experience he has been with F&G practically since Cora was in di-di's, eh?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Education: "I hold a B.S. degree in biology/population dynamics from the University of Wisconsin Green Bay and a M.S. degree in Biological Oceanography from the University of Alaska Fairbanks."

Experience: "I Previously I worked for the ADF&G as a biologist and Assistant Director for 26 years"

His words, not mine..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Agreed that it would make sense to have someone with experience in wildlife as opposed to fisheries management, but I'm encouraged that at least the interim director has relevant education and training. It's a tentative step in the right direction, or so it seems. (Of course, a student who passed my biology course might have been a step up, given the starting point that we find ourselves coming from.)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Interm? LOL... you guys are funny..

wanna bet?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Agreed that it would make sense to have someone with experience in wildlife as opposed to fisheries management, but I'm encouraged that at least the interim director has relevant education and training. It's a tentative step in the right direction, or so it seems. (Of course, a student who passed my biology course might have been a step up, given the starting point that we find ourselves coming from.)
    "might have been a step up"? Man, Brian, there is nowhere to go but up!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    "might have been a step up"? Man, Brian, there is nowhere to go but up!

That's what they said about the economy....

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

At least we have a Biologist on board, don't really care from which field he came from. Bushrat, why does it not suprise you? you have a teacher appointing positions, whether they have her back or not, as we are not privy to us uninformed minions, per the politics. That said, He knows biology and I wish him well. It has to be a step up from Palin's Mom telling her daughter who to appoint, don't ya think? Vince has it right, it ain't just a temp. job
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    That's what they said about the economy....
    That's an excellent analogy. The economy crashed due to the same kind of short sighted greed for unsustainable profit, as has been demonstrated by recent Alaska administrations management ideologies regarding Alaska's wildlife resources. The national housing market and the U.S. economy is a good lesson to keep in mind as we and DNR move forward in Alaska.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

WELLL heres all i can honestly say at the moment...

over the next few weeks, you boys will be MOST UPSET over everything...

Wonder where my buddy AKRes is at????

I TOLD YA SO!!!!!!!!!!

< GRIN!!!!!>

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    WELLL heres all i can honestly say at the moment...

over the next few weeks, you boys will be MOST UPSET over everything...
    Why, are you gonna apply for a job with DNR?
    #Resist

If AOD were MASH, Vinnie would be Frank Burns.

Or maybe Col. Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Or maybe Col. Flag.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2angG53cSA
    #Resist

Sheesh, since we're off topic I will just remind everyone that Colonel Flag was a showgirl in Las Vegas for six weeks <grin>.

Lightbulb Insight . . .

Some insight into Vincent-Lang's views/priorities on resource management:

"It (catch-and-release) is a tool which enables managers to continue maximizing the opportunity to participate in recreational fisheries while reducing mortality to what can be termed 'catch-and-release mortality.' In this way, the economic value of recreational fishing is not jeopardized as the opportunity to participate is not reduced."

Doug Vincent-Lang, et al, "Mortality of coho salmon caught and released using sport tackle in the Little Susitna River, Alaska, 1992"

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Some insight into Vincent-Lang's views/priorities on resource management:

"It (catch-and-release) is a tool which enables managers to continue maximizing the opportunity to participate in recreational fisheries while reducing mortality to what can be termed 'catch-and-release mortality.' In this way, the economic value of recreational fishing is not jeopardized as the opportunity to participate is not reduced."

Doug Vincent-Lang, et al, "Mortality of coho salmon caught and released using sport tackle in the Little Susitna River, Alaska, 1992"

Wow! Could it really be? I was wondering "hooked in the mouth" regulations would cross over to game management." Stay tuned!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Wow! Could it really be? I was wondering "hooked in the mouth" regulations would cross over to game management." Stay tuned!
    Stay tuned for the cross-over . . .

*How do you do it, Mark?

The people of Alaska are hosed, either way!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

ANYONE is a major step up over the last incumbent............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast