Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 moose to be shot by Fish and Game!!!

Default 100 moose to be shot by Fish and Game!!!

heard this this morning from a guy at the gym, said down point mac way fish and game has been getting calls from farmers of moose eating their hay. so they are planning to go out that direction and shoot up to 100 of them...not sure when.
    Has anyone else heard about this???
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

why wouldn't they make that a hot spot hunt? they are seeming to get over the top with stuff like that this year. PS, what gym do you go to?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

alaska club wasilla.
    i guess the moose are all in yards by houses and side of the road, so as the rumor goes fish and game dont' want everyone down there shooting guns off.
    Master guide 212

Maybe we can groom a trail to lure them away from homes and farms and towards the KGB road. That'll knock them down a bit....

It would be shameful if F&G shoots these moose. If nothing else they should let certified bowhunters or shotgunners take them by registration or drawing....

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    alaska club wasilla.
    i guess the moose are all in yards by houses and side of the road, so as the rumor goes fish and game dont' want everyone down there shooting guns off.
    Sounds like quite the rumor and would make for interesting subject matter if true.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Sounds like quite the rumor and would make for interesting subject matter if true.
    Indeed it does. Count me as skeptical, though I guess crazier things have happened.

A couple friends of mine have recieved "nuisance" moose permits and have shot a couple this winter. From my understanding it was like the road kill list...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Definitely sounds like a rumor mill production, but you never know.

Guy #1 talking with Guy #2 (friend) - "Man, with all those moose problems due to all the snow this year, maybe Fish and Game should come out and do something with a hundred or so moose."

Guy #3 (overhearing conversation) talking to Guy #4 (his friend) - "Hey, I just heard that the Fish and Game is going to go in and take care of a hundred moose that people are having problems with."

Guy #4 then repeats this to however many others and on and on and on......

could be, i just wondered if anyone in here with their contacts or "little birdies" had heard or know anything about it...
    but like say, at this point its just a rumor floatin' around..
    Master guide 212

and those guys didn't give a hoot about the moose tearing up my hay bales, well I tell you what if they hit those moose they need to do somthing about these distructive buggers around here because I am about to deal with them myself!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Sounds like the farmers in Delta, when they complain about the bison in their fields. It goes with farming in an area that wildlife also live in.
    Yesterday I did count roughly 35 moose in the flats, which means to me that they are moving out of the high country. As the winter goes on, we are going to see more and more inter action with the moose. They are going to be 'stressed' so we need to give them a little room.

Thank God or whoever......
    "Save the Hay", kill off its predators!!!!

Yep
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Not all is as it seems! It appears that AKFG has 'hot spot' hunts that applies to the Point Mac area. There 'maybe' a number of moose that need to be addressed but so far only 6 have actually been taken.
    I have not heard of the 'hot spot' hunts so I am not sure that is entailed with them. Guess that I need to look into it though.
    It also appears that the '100 moose' rumor is just that, a 'rumor!

I counted 54 moose on sunday morning from mile 4 big lake road to the sheep creek slough parking lot....all right next to the road....23 of those were on big lake road....so yea they are out and about but i like seeing so many of them, glad to know the pop. is doin good....stop complaining about them....first you all complain theres not enough moose, now you complain about theres too many moose.....they were here first, get over it

Release Lake Trout

Remember, we just can't let nature run wild, per Wally Hickel. LOL

Stand by guys, real info will be posted in a couple of minutes, just got off the phone with the Palmer Bio's. I'll let them address this
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 01-26-2012 at 14:23. Reason: new information
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

That is a wild rumor. At this point 5 moose have been harvested out in that area. Folks that have hay are encouraged to make it inaccessible to moose to minimize problems either by fencing, putting it up in a barn, or at least tarping it. And folks are asked to actively dissuade moose in a safe manner from getting to the hay by making noise with boat horns, or whatever is loud enough, using pepper spray, or simply shaking a blue tarp at them. All of these methods have worked at some time or another. As a rule Fish & Game hasn't got involved with trying to keep moose out of hay until the hay owners have already tried everything else because it wouldn't take long until that is the only thing we did all winter.

While there are moose that get into hay in Pt. Mac every year, this year with the high snow is particularly problematic. Moose out there have caused thousands of dollars of damage to the hay bales and a few permits have been issued under the hot spot hunt program to see whether or not taking a few moose out of there would result in other moose moving on. At this point the results have been mixed but it looks promising. I say mixed because the moose don't seem to react to the sound of the gun fire, but there seems to be fewer of them hanging out in the problem areas.

The folks that are getting the hot spot permits registered in the Palmer office during the month of October. They had to provide proof of having hunter ed., and are limited shotgun with slugs. The names of the registrants were randomized and when we have a nuisance moose issue, the name at the top of the list gets called.

This program was designed to be used sparingly to take care of nuisance moose issues. If this winter were like last year's we might not have any nuisance issues, and no need to issue any permits, but with the high amount of snow we've had so far this winter, nuisance issues seem to be piling up. But to make a long story short, no, we are not gunning down 100 moose.

Hope that helps clear up some things.
    Tim Peltier
    Palmer ADF&G

Thank you for the timely posting, Tim. Gosh, sure wish you hadn't addressed the hotspot moose permit cause now I have more competition come next year. The cat is now out of the bag, LOL
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I overheard two guys at McDonalds talking about a friend of theirs that knows a guy that heard two other guys talking about the Fish and Game staff using gill nets in the Russian next year because there are too many salmon coming in and it's making the bears too fat.

I'm starting a new non-profit, it's called "save the bales". Donations can be made at any Mat-Valley credit union office. Gotta go buy me more slugs!!!

i totaly do not believe it. one question, was this a trusted freind you heard this from or was this a random bench press conversation?
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast