Thread: Keeping a boat at Thumb Cove

Default Keeping a boat at Thumb Cove

We have never been to Homer, and are wondering how it would work to take our 18' welded aluminum Jetcraft out to the Porcupine Glacier public use cabin, and keep it there for our stay. Is there a place to anchor it out there? Can we pull up to the shore to unload, or would we need raft to get to the shore? Would we be able to beach it and tie it to a tree? We've made a reservation for that cabin for the beginning of June, but are wondering if we need to switch it. Thanks.

are you talking about Homer or Seward?

Oops, I meant Seward.

Given the large cobbles or otherwise rocky shoreline I wouldn't recommend beaching your boat, but I have seen others do it. It can sometimes be tricky to set a hook but you ought to be okay leaving your boat unattended overnight. Definately anchor along the southern shoreline to get the best protection from the Gulf swells; I think that's where the cabin is anyway.

Would the Decision Point cabin out of Whittier be a better bet?

Thumb Cove is fine...troll the shoreline to see what it looks like. There are some good spots to beach and also bad but you can see the rocks when you get 50` from shore. I have spent many nights on anchor there and have beach camped with my boat on an anchor buddy system.

High tide on anchor

Last one is low tide on anchor

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Is there a place to anchor it out there? Can we pull up to the shore to unload, or would we need raft to get to the shore?
    hlehto,

Yes there are anchoring options for your boat our in front of Porcupine Cabin in Thumb Cove out of SEWARD. We have used the cabin with our boat numerous times. The anchoring options, as your are looking at the cabin from the water, are right and left. To the left of the cabin are the traditional 40-60' anchoring options with the weekend crowd of boaters. To the right of the cabin is a bight where you can anchor in 50-60' of water. It has a faily good slope to deeper water, so we tie off the anchor rode to a bouy and tie a line to the bouy to a tree on the shore so we don't drift into deeper water. No other boats anchor here so you don't have to worry about your boat swinging with the tide like the anchoring to the left of the cabin. For both anchorages I recommend a tender to get from shore to your boat.

To the right of the cabin during the lower stages of the tide is a sandy section of shore for bringing your boat to shore to unload gear.

Doug