Thread: Back country boondoggle gear

Default Back country boondoggle gear

So when taking more remote trips, what do you carry for those just in case situations?

Here's a list I've come up with, I'm sure I'm missing a few things

extra fuel
    heat
    two stroke oil
    chaincase oil
    belts
    sparkplugs
    tool kit
    safety wire for repairs
    shovel
    snow shoes
    come-a-long
    first aid kit
    fire starter
    axe or saw
    tent
    sleeping bag
    food
    gps
    signalling device, i.e. road flares

How about pre trip prep for the sled, any extra critical items to take a look at?
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

That's a good list. I don't bring chaincase fluid though. Chaincase leakage is usually the result of something more catastrophic like a broken gear or chain and that usually pokes a hole in the chaincase. I carry one thing of Heat, but rarely use it. If your cans are below freezing any water in them will be in the form of ice in the bottom of the jugs. I never completely empty a jug and don't have issues with ice in my fuel. Heat is good fire starter though ...ditto for those flares. I also don't pack a tent, a good arctic bag is more than enough. I don't carry an axe, but I do carry a SHARP machete and a saw. For a come-a-long I pack a rope come-along and 100' of extra rope.

Honestly, when I ride with a couple partners I leave the come-a-long and sleeping bag home.