Thread: rifles for alaska hunting

Default rifles for alaska hunting

I want to thanks those who responded to my 45.70 thread.

Being a 30-06 and 45/70 user for years. I recently shot and researched the 257 and 340 Weatherby. i liked how they shot and what I have read, especially ballistically speaking. The 340 appears to best some of my other considerations, the 338, 375, and 35 whelan. I see the cost of ammo can be a problem, but I do reload so that helps

Is there any other negatives, except for the cost of ammo with these two rounds ? thank you

Own 3 Weatherbys (2 Mark V 300 Wby's and a 257 Wby UL). Love 'em all. The price and quality are excellent on all the Weatherby's I have shot. The only issue I ever had was my own stupidity. I depended on the gun dealer to order the correct scope bases. He didn't and it caused me a lot of time to get it sorted out. The 300 will kill anything in North America, but the muzzle blast and recoil can be hard on you. The 257 will kill anything as well, but I wouldn't depend on it for dangerous game. My son has a 300 with the accubrake. It reduces the recoli to something on the order of a 270, but you better wear hearing protection even when hunting. Both great choices IMHO. Don't have any experience with the 340, but eventually want to get one. Right now, there are just too many gun safe queens and I can't bring myself to sell any.

I have the 340 in mark V. Very fun to shoot, it's never bit me. It is close to 10 lbs with scope, strap, and bullets. When shooting at game, you don't notice recoil and 26" barrel seems to me to negate blast. I think it's one the best all around, do it all calibers. Puts blacktails down with little to no bloodshot meat if you don't hit solid bone, takes care of moose as far out as you can see em, and knocks the daylights out of big browns. If you get one, try 89 grains 4831 sc w/225 grn swift a-frame. Ballistics are very impressive if your into that. simalar to 338 lapua, except you can find good hunting ammo locally. If you put a muzzle brake on it, it feels like an 0'6.

Take any caliber you want, as long as its accurate and you can place the shot.

Reloading should help accuracy even more.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Take any caliber you want, as long as its accurate and you can place the shot.

Reloading should help accuracy even more.
    well, I am pretty good with a 204 Ruger, thanks for the help